Schweitzer Mountain, ID 03/09/13

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
We're halfway through our Inland Northwest trip, a mixture of stops at day areas (Mount Spokane, Lookout Pass, 49 Degrees North) and three days at the region's destination resort, Schweitzer Mountain, which we wrapped up yesterday. When easterners from the online ski world fly into Spokane for a trip, they usually head due north to Red Mountain, Whitewater, and the others across the border.

Since this is my first trip to the PNW -- the closest I'd been beforehand was Grand Targhee to the south and Banff to the north -- and I'm with the wife, I wanted the centerpiece ski area to be a great all-arounder, and Schweitzer, with 2,900 acres of varied terrain spread across two huge bowls, is the definition of that. There are dozens of long, rolling groomers and piles of fantastic tree skiing for all levels. It's amazing that Schweitzer doesn't have more of a reputation for trees among long-distance visitors.

Day 1 was a storm day with nine inches of high-moisture snow and tough visibility. Luckily, there are trees pretty much everywhere to help with orientation. We stayed most of the day on the Schweitzer Bowl side, which felt similar to Grand Targhee, but with a steep face along the south boundary.

schweitzerbowl-2015-16-web.jpg

014.JPG

015.JPG

An old Riblet chair:
016.JPG

009.JPG

Day 2 was stunning, with an inversion putting the ski area well above the clouds. We spent a lot of time on the Outback Bowl side:
outbackmap-520x402.jpg

002.JPG

007 (2).JPG

039.JPG

025.JPG

031.JPG

036.JPG

023.JPG

041.JPG

007 (2).JPG

Day 3 was a mixture of the first two, with pea-soup fog until early afternoon and then clear sailing for the last three hours, which included the Lake Pend Oreille money shot.
002.JPG

009 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

003 (2).JPG

014 (2).JPG

020 (2).JPG

022 (2).JPG

We stayed at the very comfortable ski-in/ski-out Selkirk Lodge, which I'd recommend.

Last edited:
Some of us from NASJA West stayed at the Selkirk Lodge last February. Nice to hear that the rain surface from Mar. 1 has been well buried by now. I have not been to any of the 3 small areas you mention. Lookout's terrain did not appear visible when we drove over its I-90 pass last Saturday. Lost Trail's terrain was very visible from its pass south of Missoula and it looked like a very worthwhile place to try.

An appropriate response to that NYT article:
Lynn from Sandpoint 40 minutes ago
I felt like the article was talking about a different town. The rest of the economic story about Sandpoint includes the many retirees who live here part-time or full time. Many of them moved here with money made elsewhere and they contribute a lot to the local economy, both in dollars and volunteer time. The tourism industry is barely acknowledged in the article - we may have missed snow this year, but the lake is a summer magnet, and fall is outstanding. Yes, some of us struggle so that we can stay, but we stay for many reasons: the beauty, the outdoor experiences, the vibrant arts community, and the music are just a few. Oh, and subdivisions are actually more common than trailer parks. But maybe that wouldn't have fit the storyline.
Sandpoint has a scenic summer lake as well as Schweitzer for tourism. It's 73 miles from a 500K metro area (Spokane) with good air service. This is not East Bum%#$& in the middle of nowhere with nothing interesting to attract new residents or retain old ones. Sandpoint is very similar to Whitefish/Kalispell, with the latter having the advantage of Glacier National Park nearby but the disadvantage of being much more remote from a metro area or decent air service.

Just for the record,GPI/FCA/Kallispell is served year round by Delta,United,Horizen to Denver,Minneapolis,Salt Lake and Seattle daily.
Seasonal direct service to Atlanta,Chicago,Loa Angeles Portland and Oakland/San Francisco.
Alegent flies twice weekly to Las Vegas.
Not quite like Spokane being served by Southwest to keep prices competitive. I doubt I've ever paid as much as $300RT from LAX or Burbank to Spokane.

Back