Season Plans: 2022-23

Patrick

Has anyone used Turo for car rental? I’m thinking of going that option out of PDX in April.
Yes, used them for the 1st time out of Calgary for my late Nov/early December trip thru the Canadian Rockies. I definitely wanted a car with winter tires and I definitely needed it with the snow that fell on that trip.

Sbooker

Yes, used them for the 1st time out of Calgary for my late Nov/early December trip thru the Canadian Rockies. I definitely wanted a car with winter tires and I definitely needed it with the snow that fell on that trip.
How did you find the process?
I've booked one for our April trip to Oregon. A Subaru wagon that will be nearly 3 years old. Great reviews about the owner. About half price of a inferior type vehicle through the car rental companies.

Patrick

How did you find the process?
I've booked one for our April trip to Oregon. A Subaru wagon that will be nearly 3 years old. Great reviews about the owner. About half price of a inferior type vehicle through the car rental companies.
Mind you I have only experience Turo's once. I guess it could vary greatly like various AirBnB experiences.

My experience and process was pretty simple. I called him when I landed and he picked up in the car at the Calgary Airport Terminal. He drove me to a mall where he explained the car and gave me the keys then I drove off. I gave him an approximate time I would return the car and meet him at the same mall. He gave me a ride to the Airport hotel where I was staying prior to my crazy early flight the next day.

Sbooker

Mind you I have only experience Turo's once. I guess it could vary greatly like various AirBnB experiences.

My experience and process was pretty simple. I called him when I landed and he picked up in the car at the Calgary Airport Terminal. He drove me to a mall where he explained the car and gave me the keys then I drove off. I gave him an approximate time I would return the car and meet him at the same mall. He gave me a ride to the Airport hotel where I was staying prior to my crazy early flight the next day.
Thanks.
I have only had great experiences with Airbnb so far. I'll hope for the best.

Sbooker

Now that Japan is open I'm really tempted to book a relatively short trip at the end of February. Being the same time zone as Brisbane the travel is pretty easy. I believe the crowds have well and truly gone by then. I would think that Hokkaido or the top end of Honshu would be best. I'll do a bit of research.
Anyone else have plans to head to Japan this coming winter?

EMSC

I'll add in some of my plans finally. Lots of Eldora early season (Shocker, I know!). Then mixed in with travel to my son's ski races it looks like some Canuk time.

First at Revy and Mustang Powder in Jan; then again at Fernie/Castle in early March. Probably followed by plenty of races at Loveland in April and Winter Park for spring race camps in May. Unclear if/where we might be for my sons spring break yet.

As to flights - used miles for the Jan one and only had to burn 25K+$50 for direct flights in/out of Calgary. I timed it with plenty to spare getting over Rogers pass both ways for the Mustang trip. Still working on exact timing for the 2nd trip, but looks like maybe 30K miles burned for the next Calgary direct flights in early March.

No Euro-land for me this year.

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
It took longer than usual for me to get motivated this year but I finally booked my late Jan/early Feb trip -- flying into Milan for a visit to the French Hautes-Alpes region: Bardonecchia along the Italian border followed by Serre Chevalier, the Forêt Blanche (Vars/Risoul), Puy Saint Vincent, and a handful of obscure/old-school ski areas in the Queyras region. As you may recall, I was planning to go to that region last season, but due to low-tide cover I redirected to Vorarlberg, Austria.

Without tapping a specific FF-award sale, I did pretty well with nonstop flights: 45K (22K on AA outbound and 23K on United inbound). Also, I got a nice rental car deal: $198 for eight days with pickup in-terminal.

If there are any issues with snow or I simply change my mind, I can call an audible and go to the Maurienne Valley, which is the same drive time from MXP airport.

Last edited:

q

After much debate after getting work approval I finally made up my mind.

I could either go 3rd March - 3rd April and get best conditions but miss closing weekend, 10th - 10th got me last weekend but much higher airfares or 17th - 17th giving me final weekend but a week where any money saved on airfares would be lost heading to other resorts.

Anyway, decision made I fly to Seattle on Friday March 3rd, night in Des Moines, Parkrun on Saturday morning then head to Philipsburg for a month before heading out on Sunday 2nd April.

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
United finally announced a FF-award sale so I hopped on a 30K roundtrip to Geneva during the second week of March -- and with that, my destination trips for the season have been booked.