Sierra-at-Tahoe & Caldor Fire

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Oh well, good to see that they didn't lose any snowgrooming cats (as Tseeb brought up). One would think that those are the first things they'd move to safety in the event of a major fire.

ChrisC

A01AF87A-FA2C-4904-BE5D-45C426C3011E.jpeg

Some really bad Before and After photos

tseeb

Some updates from Caldor fire:

This is going to be interesting when more details are provided: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/father-son-arrested-accused-of-arson-in-starting-caldor-fire It sounds like they were using off-road vehicles and shooting guns.
More info at https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article256441816.html

Email update posted elsewhere on Tues: "I just wanted to give you a quick update on Sierra at Tahoe. Things are moving along up here and more work is continuing to get done every day. The biggest recent news is that the haul rope for the Grandview Chairlift has been completed in Switzerland and should be landing on the east coast any day now! There is still a lot of work to be done before we can think about an opening date, but I just wanted everyone to know things are moving along."

EMSC

Hopefully the prosecution theory isn't the same as the one tried on Richard Jewell at the Atlanta Olympics.

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Terrible pics and update
Great article and ugh, what a mess. I wonder what the final bill will be to the federal government for clearcutting all the burned trees.

As I mentioned at the top of the page in early November, I'm curious why they didn't try to move all of the snowcats, snowmobiles, tools, etc. out of the resort. Was it because they didn't believe that the fire would reach the ski area?

Seven snowcats – some of which can cost upwards of $500,000 – burned inside a concrete storage facility, as did many of the resort’s snowmobiles and snowblowers. Several mechanics’ toolsets, worth tens of thousands of dollars, were also destroyed.

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
They thought putting the equipment in the concrete shed would protect it, but the shed became an oven. Equipment left in the parking lot mostly survived.