ski-air travel stories

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
ChrisC said:
Sometimes I will curbside check the bag since if you tip the guy - he's not going to weigh it. It's my cheap overage fee.
Yep, that's the work-around. I mentioned before how several times I've checked in my ski bag + boot bag that together were well north of 50 pounds; however, they didn't bother to add the combined weight.

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
EMSC said:
But not a skiing story, so...
A week ago we went to Charleston, SC, where Alexa's mother hosted a post wedding celebration for her and Adam after they got married with family only in attendance in Big Sue on Oct. 11.

We flew from Burbank via Dallas Love Field (Southwest's hub). After half an hour sitting on the plane in Dallas, we were informed of a mechanical problem and 15 minutes later told to get off the plane and go to another gate. So we ended up arriving in Charleston 2.5 hours late and having Adam pick up takeout from the restaurant we had reserved because it would be closed by the time we a got there. In Dallas Southwest had a board listing 72 departing flights, of which 24 were cancelled and 41 delayed. All 3 planes were full with us sitting separated in middle seats. That was probably a blessing because I'm guessing the airline would prioritize full planes in deciding which flights to cancel.

My friends Richard and Elda also went to this event, flying American via Charlotte. Their flight from Charlotte to Charleston WAS cancelled and American booked them on the same flight 24 hours later. There was one late night flight which was full and Richard rushed from one end of the airport to the other and played all of his platinum status cards to get the 4th and 5th standby slots for it, eventually making it and only being delayed a few hours.

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Tony Crocker said:
We flew from Burbank via Dallas Love Field (Southwest's hub).
Since when do you fly Southwest? I thought you were Delta or die.

What a mess that week was for Southwest -- and their nonstop lying about the reason for the cancellations didn't help.

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
jhamesdeluxe said:
Since when do you fly Southwest? I thought you were Delta or die.
Slightly better price at the time I booked, and more importantly via Burbank instead of LAX. One of Liz' Florida flights this spring was on Southwest for the same reason. Before Liz was vaccinated I'd take her to LAX because Delta has a nonstop to Tampa. Burbank to the East Coast on Delta often means two stops, which I did on my final trip in late June.

EMSC

Tony Crocker said:
often means two stops, which I did on my final trip in late June.

That's nuts. I don't even like one stop trips within the US if I can help it. I haven't done a 2 stop trip in a long time. Even Europe and Asia now are usually one stop trips, if any, for me.

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Burbank with one stop is generally preferable in convenience for me to LAX nonstop IMHO. I won't argue two stops though. The issue with many of the Florida flights is that they were booked only a few days in advance. I'm sure in June that the LAX-Tampa nonstop was exorbitantly priced by the time I was booking. I have heard independently that Florida this spring was a high demand destination. Liz' friends from NYC paid over $600 round trip to visit us in May. Fortunately Liz' Florida flights November - February were fairly reasonable as demand was probably low during the pandemic peak. By April Liz' short notice flights were no longer nonstops due to the higher prices.

Correction: My April/May trip to Florida was the two-stopper via Burbank. June was a redeye one stopper from LAX but Adam drove me to the airport after a Dodger game. Liz' late April trip was from Burbank via Southwest, including two suitcases used to bring home some of her mother's belongings. Liz' early April trip used FF miles, but it was a redeye via Seattle :shock: in order to get the best award price.

The bottom line was that spring trips to Florida in 2021 were very competitive, so we put up with some inconvenience on one round trip plus 4 one way flights to hold down the cost. The other one-way trip was Liz flying from Florida to Oregon for the skiing at Bachelor, and I think that one was around $400.