Ski Cooper, CO: 01/28-29/21

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Amongst the many reasons that the winter of 2020/21 will be remembered as an oddity, it'll go into the books for me personally as the latest I've ever had my inaugural ski day of the season: January 28. Previously, the latest I'd ever made first turns was in early January.

Arriving at 9 am to pick up my Loveland season pass, I was surprised to see that the large main parking lot was already 2/3 full on a non-vacation weekday. I skied for a quick hour and conditions were fine given the ongoing drought (only 95 inches YTD); however, given the likelihood of snow on Saturday, I decided to drive an additional 40 minutes to Ski Cooper, one of the many independent areas throughout the Rockies where Loveland passholders get three free days. I'd been there a few times in the past and liked the local vibe and uncrowded trails.

With the base lodge being the only access point for the mountain, this new protocol is a great idea that should've been implemented years ago. They check your pass or day ticket here at the base lodge and that's it -- no annoying scanning or RFID checkpoints the rest of the day.
1711538884061.png

Similar to Loveland, there were a couple hundred cars in the parking lot; however, once on the hill, I skied run after run without running into anyone, so I didn't get many in-action shots

First chair:
20210128_104105-jpg.jpg

A two-inch dusting overnight refreshed surfaces nicely and they kept lots of trails ungroomed and bumped up to varying degrees so it was a good way to shake out the cobwebs after a ten-month break from skiing.
20210128_132746-1-jpg.jpg

20210128_134321-jpg.7788

I had such a good time, I decided to ski a second day there instead of driving an additional 80 minutes to Monarch.
20210129_111911-jpg.jpg

20210129_111118-jpg.jpg

I did a bunch of runs off the surface lift at the far looker's left:
20210129_123609-jpg.7791

... and about ten runs through the trees, some low-angle like this one, some decently steep.
20210129_121533-jpg.jpg

The terrain off the Tennessee Creek Basin t-bar that I skied with EMSC last year is still densely treed and very few people are in that sector on weekdays so I only did two runs there.

That mellow and sheltered terrain at Cooper made a lot of sense given the low tide snowpack. With Loveland's wind exposure 95 inches doesn't cover that much.

My first 5 days this season were all on manmade groomers. I'm definitely feeling the workout of some more challenging skiing since last Wednesday.

So you are down to one day left for Ski Cooper on your pass?

They really, really do need to thin out the terrain in the Tbar area a LOT more than it currently is. It ends up as either unskiable (way too tight), or very , very moguled and scraped down in the few areas they did put a couple of thin 'trails'.

Back