Snow Valley, CA, Jan. 3, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Last year Liz expressed curiosity about Snow Valley, which we drive by every time we go to Big Bear. I told her it wasn't worth it unless Slide Peak was open. I had not skied Snow Valley since November 1985 and not skied Slide Peak since February 1982. The reason is that if there's enough snow to open Slide Peak, there's nearly always enough snow to ski off trail at Baldy.

After observing the fog and damp snow last Friday, my expectations for off trail skiing in SoCal weren't great. Meanwhile Snow Valley's website was promising Slide Peak would open soon, which it finally did Sunday. Due to staffing issues, Slide will only run Friday-Monday until snow deteriorates too much. So we decided to give it a try Monday. We still have time for other local skiing later this week.

We arrived a little after 9AM after a 20 minute delay clearing an accident above Running Springs. The lower mountain is served by a high speed six, here seen at right after had skied our first run.

IMG_3128.JPG

That line soon grew, and eventually more ropes were brought out and the line became double what you see above, about 10 minutes.

Snow Valley remains strongly oriented toward beginners. As busy a day as this was, note how deserted the steepest groomed pitches mid-mountain are.

IMG_3130.JPG

The grooming was very good, particularly considering that the big storm did not end well at Snow Valley.

Here's a sign at the base of the six pack lift Liz found amusing.

IMG_0101.JPG

I told her don't laugh. One time I was at Snow Valley a couple friends of mine tried to sit on the same side of an old center bar double. The liftie quickly stopped the chair, as commentary from the lift line ensued: "Do they know each other? If not, introduce them quick!" Many of you should remember the fast forward clips in old Warren Miller movies where successive people would fall getting off chairs and be dragged out of harm's way by the lifties. Most of those clips were filmed at Snow Valley as Warren Miller lived in Hermosa Beach until 1991.

Here's Liz at the top of the six pack with view SE to San Bernardino Ridge.

IMG_3131.JPG

That ridge is continuously over 10,000 feet for five miles. Its eastern end out of view is the glacial cirque of 11,500 foot San Gorgonio. The entire area was locked up as wilderness in 1964.

The lower mountain also has some interesting park features.

IMG_0131.JPG

After 4 frontside runs we rode the access chair #9 which gives a good view of Slide Peak.

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

My memory was hazy after 40 years, but that view is very different. I recall one huge wide mogul field looker's left of the idle lift. Obviously the low bushes were buried on my 1980 and 1982 visits.

In the first pic above a moderately steep strip East Slide is groomed at far left. The two groomed runs West Slide and Nord Valley are on top of the ridge and not visible in the pics above.

Liz on West Slide:

IMG_3141.JPG

San Gabriel Mountains on the west side of Cajon Pass are in the background. The western corner of Lake Arrowhead is barely visible upper right. The smooth surface off trail behind Liz is solidly glazed, as last week's storm must have ended as rain here. The top of Slide Peak is 7,841 feet, about the same as the Notch lodge at Baldy. At any rate, if not for the rain there would be numerous interesting lines skiable in those first two Slide Peak pics.

Nord Valley is a meandering catwalk reminiscent of Baldy's Fire Road.

IMG_3151a.JPG

The rimed trees and bushes also look familiar.

IMG_0122.JPG

The line at Slide built up some after noon so we returned to the base and 3 more runs on the six pack. We went back to Slide about 1:30 and Liz caught a tip loading chair 9.

IMG_3158.JPG

She said that was a first for her, though I've done it twice on Baldy's Thunder chair.

Loading Slide's lift #11 a kid lost both skis so the liftie gave them to me to carry up.

IMG_0114.JPG

View SW off the back of Slide Peak:

IMG_0117.JPG

Lake Perris is at left. The mountains separating Riverside and Orange Counties are in the background, with the distinctive Saddleback peaks at right.

Liz on her way to East Slide with west end of Big Bear Lake in background:

IMG_3155.JPG

View from top of East Slide of Snow Valley's snowmaking reservoir and the top of the six pack at distance:

IMG_0129.JPG

Slide closed at 2:45. I skied down and took one last run on the six pack there. Local wildlife in line:
IMG_3161a.JPG

I skied 14,100 vertical. Snow Valley is not conducive to much vertical as the six pack rises 850 feet in 9/10 of a mile. Slide Peak's chair 11 is 500 vertical and moves very slowly. Still it was worth checking out after almost 40 years, and Liz notched ski area #183.

January 3 may have been after the holiday in terms of scoring cheap coupon lift tickets, but in terms of crowds it was still busy. Many schools were still out and there were lots of kids. And as on Friday the traffic doubled the normal time to get down the hill.

Last edited:
My Dad was a career Navy Officer. When I was a kid my family lived in family quarters on the Long Beach Naval Shipyard from 1963-66. It was closed down by the Navy in the 1990s. The Navy recreation services at the shipyard used to run ski trips up to the Lake Arrowhead area for Navy personnel and their dependents. I was around 10-12 at that time and my three older siblings went skiing a couple times up in that area, possibly Snow Valley? I'd have to ask one of my brothers about the exact location. What ski areas were open back then in the area? I didn't get to go because I was considered too young. I always regretted being left out. A few years later I went skiing for the first time in 1967 at Blue Knob, PA.
It always seems counter-intuitive that there is skiing in Southern Cali so close to LA. But I guess people think the same thing about skiing below the Mason-Dixon line in the southeast. You ski when and where you can!

Snow Valley is the closest ski area to Lake Arrowhead. Lake Arrowhead itself is 5,200 feet, which was too low for a ski area base even back then. There is/was a very small ski area at Green Valley Lake also. But from your description, I'd say it's almost certain that your siblings went to Snow Valley.

SoCal's climate is much better than the southeast for snowmaking due to higher elevation and low humidity. But only Big Bear has an unlimited water source. Average snowfall of 125 inches (Baldy gets more, Big Bear less) is about the same as max in the southeast at Snowshoe. But with the extreme volatility there are a lot of bad years (about 1/4 of seasons under 75 inches).

SoCal served both me and my son Adam extremely well learning how to ski. But we were both lucky. I had big years progressing in 1977-78 and 1978-79, and similarly Adam's first and second grade seasons in 1991-92 and 1992-93.

I believe both SoCal and the southeast are seeing more rain vs. snow in the past decade than 30-40 years ago.

Last edited:
Snow Valley does not look half bad. Some front-side groomers and a backside Slide Peak expert area.

Is there no snowmaking on Slide Peak?

Also, the topography. Do you take an up and over lift to Slide Peak? Can you ski back?

What's this boarder up to... :):):eusa-think::eusa-think:

IMG_3132_LI.jpg

We have 3 1/2 weeks coming in the Alps this spring. I think Liz will maintain her lead on james.
:icon-mrgreen:

There is no snowmaking on Slide Peak. Yes that was an over and back lift, good for the pics. You can ski back but it's really flat, so better to reuse that access chair. Snow Valley is not ChrisC's type of ski area at all. Slide Peak is short and the front side is over 5-1 length to vertical.

We skied Mountain High today and the rain/snow line from the last storm was over 1,000 feet higher at Snow Valley. As I said, I give Snow Valley brownie points for the excellent grooming job though.

Back