Steamboat, CO, Jan 18-20, 2022

jimk

Just spent three fine days at Steamboat. Weather mostly fair with some low hanging clouds at times affecting visibility. 3-4" new snow on last day allowed us to get off the groomers and enjoy some low angle trees around Sunshine and Sundown lifts. Even though no significant new snow had fallen for 7-10 days before my arrival, the ski surfaces were very good, packed powder for the most part. This was due to some big dumps around New Year's time frame. Higher angle tree skiing was kind of boney and rutted from the few samples I took around Storm Peak. Crowds were very low with light trail traffic, short lift lines, and I got close-in free parking at the Upper Knoll Lot each day by arriving around 815-830 AM.
Jan 18:
Mild enough day for a scenic outdoor brown bag lunch at Four Points mid-mtn lodge
lunch spot.jpg

Bump runs were a little bit firm, but top surface fairly chalky. I'd had only one day of skiing this winter before MLK Day and when bumping I stuck mostly to small ones on low-medium angle terrain. This is a friend.
avram steamboat.jpg

Jan 19:
More groomer zooming, which is just what I needed to get my ski legs back. This is another friend.
ron cruising.jpg

Obligatory Steamboat Gondola shot. I saw signs at the base area that they are building a big new one for 2023.
gondola.jpg

Jan 20;
Steamboat has to be one of the best places in the US for an introduction to tree skiing (or for a masters degree). There is a lot of it at various difficulty levels and a good bit of it is less dense than many places making it easier to ski and get a lot of fun-flow going.
ron wally world.jpg

Baby powder days are great for the ego:
ave pow.jpg

On the evening of Jan 20 I drove the 330 miles from Steamboat to SLC. I'll be staying and skiing in Utah for an extended period. This is US 40 about 100 miles west of Steamboat, where the roadkill outnumbers the motor vehicles. Nice clear roads for my drive, very important.

us 40 west of steamboat.jpg

Literally the perfect time to hit Steamboat pretty much any year. After the holiday hordes and before the sun starts to bake the bottom of the hill since it mostly faces west.

Bump runs were a little bit firm, but top surface fairly chalky.
My visit to Steamboat in 1990 was over MLK with similar conditions. The famed tree skiing was bumped up and slightly firm due to little recent snowfall. We were there because December 1989 was one of those widespread western drought months but an unusual intense storm came on a north/south track from Canada and hammered Steamboat and Vail, where we spent the rest of the following week.

My notes mention
Softening on s. facing runs: Priest Creek, Sunshine, Heavenly Daze.
But, yes EMSC has it exactly right when to visit Steamboat.

Back