Suggestions?: At SLC 2/16-20

OHski

Hello All!

My boys and I (from Cleveland, OH) skied Utah for the first time last year and are returning this Thursday evening to SLC for another week of skiing. You folks helped us greatly as first-timers last year, so I am asking for your advice this time around as well.

Last year we caught PCM, Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbasin. The favorites were the powder at PCM, powder in trees at brighton, and Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude, and most everything at Snowbasin since that was another powder day.

Snow conditions are a little different this year, plus we have a holiday to deal with.

Last year it was all good everywhere. As a group we foud that we preferred trails , trees, and powder, over the wide high speed groomers. Also, blues and some black were our comfort zone. We don't look for double blacks, cliffs, and heavy bumps.
Any thoughts on the following?

Crowds for the holiday... Avoid PMC and Brighton Saturday-Monday? I'm thinking the holiday might the time to head to Ogden and visit Powder Mountain. We haven't been there before. Might weather be a consideration at with the lower elevation?

What about Snowbird/Alta ? We begged off on it last year, since we felt much of the terrain was beyond our ability, and we have one boarder in our midst, but feel better about it this year. I'm thinking my two older boys (one being the boarder) can explore Snowbird, and my younger son and I can jump over to Alta for part of the day. Is there a way to do this simply?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Duane

OHski":1b4lga0k said:
Last year it was all good everywhere. As a group we foud that we preferred trails , trees, and powder, over the wide high speed groomers. Also, blues and some black were our comfort zone. We don't look for double blacks, cliffs, and heavy bumps.
What about Snowbird/Alta ?

Good choice. Definitely the best snow right now. I just got back from a one-hour break at Alta and will post pix shortly under a separate topic.

OHski":1b4lga0k said:
I'm thinking my two older boys (one being the boarder) can explore Snowbird, and my younger son and I can jump over to Alta for part of the day. Is there a way to do this simply?

Absolutely. Buy an AltaBird day ticket at Snowbird on the day you wish to do this. When you're ready to split up, all of you can ski/ride down into Mineral Basin, then catch the Baldy Express chair. Those remaining at Snowbird simply ski/ride back down into Mineral, while the two of you headed to Alta simply pole ahead 100 yards and cross into Alta. When you're ready to return, simply ride Alta's Sugarloaf chair, pole 200 yards, and you're back in Mineral Basin at Snowbird.

Tony Crocker":337wgnzr said:
I would agree you should try AltaBird this time. But you might want to avoid Saturday-Monday.

I honestly don't think that it'll be that bad. That said, about the only option to minimize the crowds will be at PowMow. Others will see a spike, and I suspect more so at the Wasatch Back (Deer Valley, PCMR and The Canyons) than elsewhere.

Alta was downright deserted this morning.

Hello. I came across this website about a month ago and have been enjoying all the reports and photos of the resorts throughout the US and Canada.

It sounds like you and your sons are at about the same comfort zone as my daughter and myself. We went to Powder Mountain (or PowMow as a local dudette referred to it) on a Sunday last year. The question wasn't how many people would be in front of us in the liftline--the question was whether there would be ANYONE in front of us. Probably four out of five chairs were empty. Yes, it was Spring skiing, but still, there was tons of fresh snow and it was a beautiful day. You and your sons will find plenty of terrain to satisfy yourselves. The place is huge. A bonus for you is that they added a high-speed lift for this year. We were there on a beautiful sunny day, so the slow lifts didn't really bother us.

Also, at your level, Alta and Snowbird will not be any problem. And beautiful views, especially Mineral Basin. You'll love it, I am sure. Have fun. We still have several weeks before our SLC trip.

Tony Crocker":2smi7guv said:
I would agree you should try AltaBird this time. But you might want to avoid Saturday-Monday.
Yes, the holiday weekend is a bit more crowded, but unless it coincides with a powder day (which is unlikely given current wx forecasts), it really isn't an issue at all.

I would be inclined to agree that the Park City will see the bigger bump in destination visitors, though those areas have much more lift capacity to handle the influx. I would still expect lift lines at popular lifts like Collins and Sugarloaf at Alta and the Gad 2 and the tram at Snowbird. It would be interesting to hear how much the new Peruvian chair cuts down the tram line.

Were I a betting man, I'd wager that aside from the pre-opening lineup for Collins, you'll be hard-pressed to find a line more than 10 minutes all weekend at Alta.

I'll be the outsider here and Say go to Powder Mountain! You gonna love it! In 10 days, I spent 3 overthere!

The terrain is so HUUUGE... Snowcat for cheap price and good mood in that station...

the place to be I think!

Bendude":1amfsd2u said:
I'll be the outsider here and Say go to Powder Mountain! You gonna love it! In 10 days, I spent 3 overthere!

The terrain is so HUUUGE... Snowcat for cheap price and good mood in that station...

the place to be I think!

Tony and I will be there Saturday.

This past storm was highly elevation dependent. around 7500ft was the magic number, where it was a rain/snow mix. Big Cottonwood around 9500ft picked up 24". little cottonwood 16" (according to weather stations), park city areas 13" (according to their marketing dept), probly more like 8-10". Trying to remember about powmow/snowbasin, ..i think they picked up 10". Below 7500ft they all got <6" of glop. So the lower parts of powmow, snowbasin, and PC, didnt do so well. This afternoon/evening, we got a surprise 1-4". This next storm will not be as elevation dependent, and could bring 6-12" over 36 hrs in the Cottonwoods. Probably 4-10" elsewhere. Clears up for this weekend, so it should be great conditions, with some powder left around in stashes, generally soft crud off trail, with groomers in great shape.

details... http://www.utahskiweather.com ...currently updating the forecast..

Thanks all for the help.

We'll work in Snowbird/Alta for sure. Pow/Mow on Saturday sounds like a real possibility. Right now I'm just waiting for the boys flight to arrive later this evening (I flew in from business elsewhere) so we can decide where to go int the morning.

OHski":28rg9orw said:
Pow/Mow on Saturday sounds like a real possibility. Right now I'm just waiting for the boys flight to arrive later this evening (I flew in from business elsewhere) so we can decide where to go int the morning.

FYI, Tony Crocker and I will be at Powder Mountain on Sat. We'll be primarily hitting Powder Country bus runs and Lightning Ridge cat runs, but if you want to hook up for a run, give me a call at the 801 number listed for FTO contact via a link near the bottom of this screen.

Back