Tucks 4/17/05

20thSkier

Sounds from the reports like I missed quite an interesting day at Tucks on Saturday, but I can't say that I'm too sorry. Went to Jay on Saturday and then Tucks on Sunday to avoid crowds. Tucks was fantastic and I actually had a remarkably solitary day, at least by Tucks standards.

Got up to the bowl pretty early...but the snow in right gully and sluice was already soft. I hiked up right gully and skied that, then climbed to the summit just for the hell of it. It was completely deserted which was neat for those of us used to summer hiking. You couldn't really ski all the way from the summit down -- there was some unavoidable picking your way through rocks at the top -- but sweet smooth corn-fields awaited just slightly below. Then I traversed over and skiied left gully, which by this time was in fabulous shape with beautiful corn. Then hiked up and skiied Hillman's. Snow here by this time (around 3:30) was really soft and a bit chunky, with little proto-bumps in most spots. Still a joy to ski, and I flew all the way down into the Sherburne and down to Pinkham Notch. The Sherburne is still in good shape most of the way down, but it is clearly losing snow quickly. The bottom is unskiable except on $30 straight skis that are at least 10 years old, but as of Sunday this entailed only about a 10-12 minute walk from the top of the unskiable section back to the parking area.

Wow, all this hiking and skiing after a day at Jay. Your really making me feel out of shape. :oops:

Patrick":14pjbiik said:
Wow, all this hiking and skiing after a day at Jay. Your really making me feel out of shape. :oops:

Well, I needed a little warmup for running the marathon this morning :wink:.

j/k. Actually my legs were telling me how out of shape I was by the end of the day...just too stubborn to stop. This morning though I couldn't even walk up the stairs to my office!

Heading up to the ravine this weekend. Unfortunately, I won't have the conditions seen the past 2 weeks...temps much colder, highs in the 20's and lows in the teens with snow showers. Better tune my edges!

JimG.":2peg6v22 said:
Heading up to the ravine this weekend. Unfortunately, I won't have the conditions seen the past 2 weeks...temps much colder, highs in the 20's and lows in the teens with snow showers. Better tune my edges!

Or stay home. That's not a place to be when it's bulletproof. Sometimes it's better to know when to say when.

Admin":24icvlzm said:
JimG.":24icvlzm said:

Or stay home. That's not a place to be when it's bulletproof. Sometimes it's better to know when to say when.

I'm going with the understanding that if Tucks is ridiculously icy (which it sounds like it will be), I'll ski Wildcat on rock skis instead. My son is coming with me and it would be his first time at Tucks if we do hike up, but his safety is most important; we're not going up if it's just going to be a death march.

Recently, I seem to have a knack for bringing cold weather to the MWV. In 2 trips over the past 3 years, I have:

1) Arrived at the lean-to's in 65 degree weather only to be bundled up in 6" of snow by the end of dinner, followed by 2 nights of camping in blowing snow. The storm dumped about a foot overall and we skied all 3 days; some of my best turns of that season (01-02).

2) Drove up in 85 degree (!) heat right up to the MWV, only to see temps plummet that night. Hiked to the lean-to's the next day, everything was frozen solid. Hiked up Hillman's, crampons required, then "enjoyed" a bulletproof skid for life down. The next day was cold and cloudy too. We did get some nice weather (sunny and 60) for the last day of the 02-03 season.

I skipped last year; if I recall, I wanted to hook up with you and Dan but couldn't. You guys lucked out :lol: !

Back