Val Thorens/Orelle, France, March 29, 2022

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
This was the last day of good weather so I tried to make the most of it in terms of both skiing and pictures.

Xavier led us up Moutiere and Grand Fond and into Orelle. Orelle is high altitude, with skiing ranging from 7,700 - 10,500 feet, though south facing. Accordingly the early morning groomer in there was quite firm. But Xavier’s plan was a sequence of off piste runs.

TroisValleesMap.png

We rode the Peyron and Bouchet lifts, then skied off the back onto the Glacier du Bouchet.

IMG_4169.JPG

All the skiing up there was on chalky winter snow.

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

Next we rode the new Orelle Caron gondola to Cime Caron. We traversed off piste far skier’s right on the Orelle side.

IMG_4180.JPG

We paused for a minute at these rocks. Xavier, Lucy and Philip there:

IMG_4183.JPG

Xavier led us on stairstep traverses, linking ski fall lines with SE exposure for maximum morning sun.

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

The snow was not entirely smooth, but it was far less beat up than the Monday excursion from Pointe de La Masse, in particular fewer frozen irregularities to disrupt your skiing. The smoothest corn was on this final pitch in the background behind Mike.

IMG_4194.JPG

This off piste route is called Combe Sans Nom according to Xavier. We now had an exit traverse, which you can see had some sketchy parts in the background here.

IMG_4197.JPG

In the foreground is the 150 vertical bootpack we climbed in about 10 minutes.

Putting skis back on here:

IMG_4196.JPG

Plan Bouchet comes into view here:

IMG_4198.JPG

We took the Rosael chair, then Niverolle trail on the Val Thorens side so we could use the Thorens Funitel to drop back into Orelle. Here we skied a broad slope of smooth corn about 12:30.

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

Here we have a peek at the glacier run we skied first in center left background.

IMG_4203.JPG

In big snow years there are skiable couloirs in the prominent face at right.

It did not escape my notice that the Lory piste run to Plan Bouchet had butter smooth corn. So when Xavier led the group back to Club Med after 1:15, I remained in Orelle. Not that many people get back there to chew up the groomers, so I skied all of those pistes in ideal corn snow, 13K vertical in less than 2 hours, before returning to Val Thorens via the Cime Caron gondola.

Once at the top of Cime Caron I noticed a group of Germans heading off piste, one of them here.

IMG_4211.JPG

This is probably one of the routes to Lac du Lou.

There was an ice formation in view of the Bouchet chair.

IMG_4209.JPG

At the top of Bouchet is a zipline over the glacier to Col de Thorens.

IMG_4218a.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

Notice that you carry your skis on your back so you have them to ski down from Col de Thorens.

After 3PM high clouds arrived as I skied down Combe de Caron.

IMG_4222.JPG

I skied 4K vertical down to Les Menuires. View up from there:

IMG_4223.JPG

The lift in center background is Plan de l’Eau, which we rode after the Lac de Lou run Friday.

I rode the Bruyeres gondola and skied to Club Med.

IMG_4224.JPG

Val Thorens is ahead as directed by the large sign. Similar signs were to my left to Meribel and my right for Les Menuires.

I skied 31,500 vertical, best day in the Alps of this trip so far and a good case for best day of the season.

Last edited:
This was the last day of good weather so I tried to make the most of it in terms of both skiing and pictures.

Xavier led us up Moutiere and Grand Fond and into Orelle. Orelle is high altitude, with skiing ranging from 7,700 - 10,500 feet, though south facing. Accordingly the early morning groomer in there was quite firm. But Xavier’s plan was a sequence of off piste runs.

View attachment 31682

We rode the Peyron and Bouchet lifts, then skied off the back onto the Glacier du Bouchet.

View attachment 31662

All the skiing up there was on chalky winter snow.

View attachment 31663

View attachment 31664

Looks like you skied the Pierre Lory itinerary off the back of the Bouchet lift.

https://valthorensguide.co.uk/pierre-lory.html

When I was there in late April 2018, entry to this off-piste area was all fenced off by patrol due to the wet slide potential. There were specific signs off discussing fines and persecution if you skied this area. Given the general laissez-faire attitude of Europe with closed terrain/risk, skiers were following instructions.

Does the new Orelle-Caron gondola overload the single black piste it serves?

I skied it from the VT tram. It was a forgotten area. Did not realize there was so much off-piste around it.

The Lory piste comes from the top of the Thorens funicular. The off piste from Bouchet chair empties into it. Xavier said there used to be a black piste down the glacier but now there are enough exposed rocks to not be wide enough in a couple of spots.

The black piste under the new gondola was not crowded at all. Steepest parts were not completely smooth but still good corn snow.

Comments about best day of the season are due to the few powder days having some flaws. Island Lake often had a hard subsurface under the new snow. Alta was a storm day with awkward logistics and any avy prone terrain closed. I did not do a good job of timing terrain openings the next day at Snowbird.

Last edited:
Back