Warning sign of an approaching ski season.

lookn4powder

This board is quiet now, but my annual reminder of the approaching season arrived today in the form of the Sept Skiing magazine. As if on cue, temperatures finally dropped below 90 degrees for the first time in a week. Although meager and unfulfilling, this issue of Skiing does feature some decent pics of Mammoth's face shots and a couple mildly interesting articles. Unfortunately, the mag will provide the closest touch to skiing I'll be able muster for a few months.

Sigh!! If only we could take off to Las Lenas or Portillo...but I am behind at work due to the weeks we took off for skiing last winter. The magazine does remind me that there is light at the end of the summer tunnel and that life will become beautifully white again--sort of soon.

Cheers,
Jeff

look'n4powder":1qr7a6oe said:
This board is quiet now

Yeah, it's a quiet time of year around here...but the die-hards are still around! Our last patches of snow visible from Salt Lake City on Lone Peak and in the Coalpit are just now disappearing. I'm optimistic that I can find something in the coming weeks in the Uintas to make September turns on, or if worse comes to worst I'll have to hoof an incredible amount to reach the "glacier" (more of a semi-permanent snowfield) on Mt. Timpanogos in the Wasatch above Provo. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

But things are starting to stir. The Outdoor Retailer show took place last weekend as it always does here in SLC, where manufacturers meet buyers to showcase their latest wares (I, stupidly, didn't take advantage of media credentials to go). Print rags are starting to show up in mailboxes (but what do you need those for? We have fresher news content, anyway!). FTO is even starting to publish new feature articles for the coming season (see last week's new piece on New Zealand, and Tony Crocker's Whistler content is right around the corner). Need a fix? Check out the Solitude video we added last week to our SkiMovies.com subsidiary.

Temps in SLC were in the 50s this morning for the first time in I can't remember how long. The days are getting shorter. Leaves will be changing next month. We're T-minus 90 days and counting!

Noticed the first signs of fall in the east with the ferns loosing their colour as nighttime temperatures drop into the 40?s 50 s F. Heading down to MRG area to cycle the Appalachian gap road (17) and other roads. Great way to keep the legs going while waiting for the snow.

Anthony":1lm1hvuc said:
Noticed the first signs of fall in the east with the ferns loosing their colour as nighttime temperatures drop into the 40?s 50 s F. Heading down to MRG area to cycle the Appalachian gap road (17) and other roads. Great way to keep the legs going while waiting for the snow.

Chromer said his temp in ME last night dipped to 37.3°F for a low.

yup, two mornings ago i awoke to stare incredulously at my open windows as the NPR announcer boasted near freezing temps, woo! no color change quite yet, but it is coming. the days have suddenly gotten considerably cooler and the air is much much crisper and refreshing. good bye summer! see you next year! :twisted:

Md-August is mid summer here, so it always seems somewhat strange to be getting the first ski mags. July and September have the same average temperatures in SoCal, but volatility of September is higher so it tends to produce more of the 100+ degree days we remember. In late October 2003 SoCal had its most destructive brush fires during the same week that produced record early snow the next year.

Coastal central and northern California summers are offset even more, with fog season usually extending to July, and August-October being the warmest months.

Tony ~ so true! I think we have some heat still to come in California! It usually starts seeming like fall by Thanksgiving! Although, my skis are ready any time! :wink:

My best friend in Maine says it is gettin' a tad chilly over there . . . .

Back