whaleback, nh

20} WHALEBACK_INTRO
An Upper Valley ski area will soon be welcoming skiers back to the slopes. Whaleback Mountain has been closed since 2001. But a former Olympic skier from Vermont says the small resort along Interstate 89 offers a unique opportunity. Kate Duffy spoke with the man who's buying it about his plans for the resort.

21} WHALEBACK_PKG
The gates on Whaleback mountain have been locked for three years. (8:55-9:04 Evan Dybvig)((when i've spoken about whaleback to people in this community they've said, oh, I miss that, I learned to ski there, I wish it was open again.)) Former Olympic mogul skier Evan Dybvig thinks he holds the key to open Whaleback again and make it succeed. Last week he inked a deal to take over the Enfield resort. And he has big plans for the little mountain. (14:12-24)((What you can do with a small, teeny resort like this is appeal to a niche. For me that niche is freestyle, youth, action sports.)) Dybvig says there's no other place like it around. (19:25)((you're going to have a mogul course, down
here.)) (19:53)((you're going to have a halfpipe and jumps and rails)) (27:24-32 kate duffy/enfield)((Evan Dybvig says his goal is to make whaleback not just a wintertime ski resort, but place where athletes can work on their skills all year round.)) (20:27)((back here is where the indoor skate park is going to be)) A 30-thousand square foot facility will have skate ramps, trampolines and foam pits where people can practice their moves off the slopes. (20:52-21:00)((a snowboarder can go in and work on the trampoline and learn a back flip or a misty flip, then take it out onto snow that afternoon.)) With his Olympic dreams now behind him .. Dybvig says this is his new dream. One he's been thinking about since he was a kid, growing up in Tunbridge. (7:23-37)((I grew up skateboarding in vermont, trying to skate on route 110, which is pretty stupid and dangerous. Kids need a place to skate, ski, snowboard, have fun.)) It's a 3 million dollar project. Dybvig says he's working on getting financing, and expects to close the deal in May. He hopes Whaleback will be open to skier and snowboarders this time next year. Kate Duffy, Channel 3 News, Enfield.

22} WHALEBACK_TAG
Evan Dybvig is a former national mogul champion who competed in the Olympics in 1998 and 2002.

Source: WCAX, Burlington

LETS HOPE DIBER DOESN'T FORGET WHERE HE CAME FROM AND MAKES ROOM ( BUDGETARY AND PHYSICALLY ) FOR THE ULTIMATE TERRAIN PARK... THE BUMP RUN- GROOMED NIGHTLY- JUST LIKE A PIPE 8) :!:

I think there must be some sort of groomer attachment that makes artificial bumps. These bumps are generally very easy to ski as all they require is a good rhythm. Once you get the rhythm down you can cruise to the bottom. If you've ever watched pro moguls on TV they are skiing machine made bumps. Everything is perfectly spaced with no surprises. I skied one of these bump runs at Okemo once. I am so used to skiing natural random bumps that the giant made made mogul field was a piece of cake. I even had people cheering me from the chairlift and I do NOT consider myself to be a good bump skier.

COME ON STEVE-U SHOULD KNOW BETTER
1) A NIGHTLY GROOM WOULD BE SIMPLY LIGHTLY DRAGGING THE TOPS OF THE BUMPS WITH A TYPICAL BOMBADIER TYPE MACHINE TRAVELING ACROSS THE HILL AT AN UPWARD ANGLE WITH IT?S CARPET LAYER MEHCANISM DOWN? BASICALLY JUST TOPPING OFF THE BACK SIDES AND THE CONES OF THE BUMPS AND HAVING THE TRACKS ON THE GROOMER PUSHING SOME SHAKE DOWN INTO THE TROUGHS SO THEY DON?T GET TO RUTTED OUT? OF COURSE THIS ASSUMES THAT THE BUMPS THAT ARE BEING GROOMED WERE INLAYED PROPERLY FROM THE GET GO AND SPACED TIGHTLY.... A LITTLE TIME CONSUMING , BUT NO MORE SO THAN DRAGGING A PIPE
2) AND A WEEKLY GROOM WOULD IDEALLY BE COMPLETELY TAKING DOWN THE BUMPS AND RESETTING THEM ?
ALL IN ALL NOTHING MORE OR NOTHING LESS THAN WHAT IS ROUTINELY GIVEN TO RACE COURSES

FROM THE N.E.K- THERE IS A VERY EXPENSIVE AND RARE TYPE OF CUTTER THAT CAN BE USED TO CUT IN MOGULS? I?M SURE DEER VALLEY HAS ONE AND A HANDFUL OF OTHER PLACES HAVE ONE? BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARY?. WHAT IS NECESSARY IS A BASIC GROOMER AND OPERATOR WHO KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE A CAT ON AN ANGLE? AND OF COURSE SNOW? I WAS IN ONE WITH A GUY WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING LAST YEAR AT LOON?. IT?S ACTUALLY PRETTY SIMPLE? STARTING FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BUMPS RUN AN UPWARDS SLOPING TRAVERSE IS MADE FROM SKIERS RIGHT TO LEFT IN 9 FOOT INCREMENTS. THE FRONT END DIGGER OF THE CAT IS DRIVEN IN DRIVEN INTO THE BASE AND DIGS UP FOR ABOUT 3 FEET AND PULLS UP AND DEPOSITES THE PILE. IT DIVES BACK IN AGAIN FOR ANOTHER 3 FEET AND REPEATS THIS ON THE TRAVERSE ACROSS THE FALL LINE. IT BACKS IT?S WAY OUT AND REPEATS BUT ON AN OFFSETTING LINE FOR THE NEXT PASS ACROSS THE TRAIL. THIS OFFSET CREATES THE IDIVIDUAL LINES OF RIGHT AND LEFT TURNS LINE WHEN LOOKING DOWN THE TRAIL FROM THE TOP OF THE RUN?. THIS NEWLY INSTALLED RUN NEEDS TO BE SIDE SLIPPED AND SKIED OFF TO HAVE THE SURFACE GET ROUNDED OFF AND BLENDED. BUT THAT?S? HOW IT?S DONE?IT GETS HARDER THE STEEPER THE SLOPE AS THE CAT IS AT A PERPENDICULAR ANGLE TO THE TRAIL AND THIS CAN GET HAIRY. BUT IF IT'S DONE BY A GUY WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING LIKE LEE AT LOON AND NOT SAMMY THE SANDWICH MAKER OR GUS THE GAS PUMPER, IT CAN BE DONE
AND I ENJOY YOUR REPORTS, ESPECIALLY FROM BURKE, BUT TO SAY THAT BUMP SKIING ON MAN MADE BUMPS OR OTHERWISE IS A PIECE OF CAKE FOR YOU, ASSUMING YOU ARE SKIING WITH PROPER BUMP TECHNIQUE, SAYS A LOT FOR YOU AS A BUMP SKIER :!: ? YOU MUST BE A VERY GOOD BUMPER :shock: . BUT I DON?T THINK YOU WERE SKIING THE SAME TYPE OF BUMP RUN AT OKEMO AS YOU SAW ON A MOGUL EVENT ON TV? THE BUMP COURSE AT DEER VALLEY HAS AN AVERAGE PITCH OF 28 DEGREES AND BUMPS OF ABOUT 4 AND ½ FEET IN HEIGHT :!: ?.THAT IS ANYTHING BUT A PIECE OF CAKE TO JUST ABOUT EVERYONE INCLUDING J BLOOM , T MAYER , T CABRAL, L WESTERLUND AND THE REST OF THE ROCK STARS ON THE MOGUL TEAM NOW. MOGULS ARE THE HARDEST TYPE OF SKIING? TO DO WELL AND PROPERLY REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE BOSTON GLOBE " SKI GUY" TONY CHAMBERLAIN SAYS IN HIS WEEKLY COLUMN OF BUM KISSING RACERS :roll: ?.IF YOU ARE ONE WHO DOES SKI THEM WELL, I SALUTE YOU :wink:

COME ON STEVE-U SHOULD KNOW BETTER
ummmm, actually i didn't - thanks for the information. if it's as simple as that, i am surprised more ski areas don't groom their bumps as bump trails left to their own evetually become pretty nasty given enough time, snow, and activity. i figured once bumps are set, the only reason a groomer would visit the trail would be to knock um' down to start over again. wasn't aware of a proper grooming strategy.

Holimont in Western NY has a bump groomer that lays perfect 3-4 footers. Their bumps are the best I have ever seen in my life if you are into perfect lines. Personally I like the natural and more "ragged" bump runs. The suprises in there are half the fun. If you are in a perfect set run you don't have to really watch ahead. In a natural set you need to watch 5-6 bumps ahead to pick paths and lines if you want to be able to really attack the hill.

that's great there is a place that does that. and i agree that skiing natural bumps is more fun and is more difficult.. the problem is, for the most part here in the east yo deal with:
1) no snow
2) rain
these two things make natural bumps runs that are worth skiing a relatively rare proposition... that's why i argue for better maintainence for them... it's great to have that theoretical philosophy of " i thought the essence of bumps were natural and ungroomed.... " and all that .. that is, on theoretical level true of course.... in a world that has ideal snow, 11,000 feet of elevation and no rain... it's not true in our world here in the east where to\hose nautral bump runs, even in say an average year, are good to go probably 50% of the time....in a nightmare like we have had so far, probably good about 10% of the total season
ryan- i have to disagree about the relatively lack of urgency to look ahead..... if you are trying to ski a straight z line with speed, you do need to be looking ahead 4 to 6 bumps... the pro's who ski the manicured bumps at deer valley, i think would disagree with the proposition that that part of bump skiing can be neglected... eventually that is going to bite you in the ass if you have any sort of speed coming down the line :wink:

I agree with Ryan. I personally enjoy the ragged bumps for their surprises.
The manufactured bump run I skied at Okemo was not 28 degrees (probably less than 25 at the steepest pitch). Joe is definitely correct when he says that a well groomed bump run can bite you in the ass. Since there are few surprises, it is much easier to build up a lot of speed in these bumps. In natural bumps I tend to be much more cautious. I did biff it in the bump run at Okemo that day :oops: . I chalk the yard sale up to being tired late in the day as well as letting my guard down as I got into the rhythm. I got too comfortable and built up a ton of speed. I got a little squirrelly on a bump and ended up crashing pretty hard. That is the challenge with these bumps. You are able to build up a lot of speed if your not careful 8) . If you don't pay attention and look ahead they can get you. That crash I took hurt more than any I've taken on ragged/natural bumps due to the speed at which I crashed :shock: .

Thanks for the description about how the bumps a built. It's gotta take a bit of practice in a groomer to get a bump field perfectly symetrical!

joegm":nn3ca5rw said:
that's great there is a place that does that. and i agree that skiing natural bumps is more fun and is more difficult.. the problem is, for the most part here in the east yo deal with:
1) no snow
2) rain
these two things make natural bumps runs that are worth skiing a relatively rare proposition...

Au Contraire. Pick any given on-map glade at Jay and you'll get a nice "natural" bump run. Well, maybe in another month, assuming some snow actually starts to accumulate. The only way they get "re-set" is for all the snow to melt...

no way chromer.. the statement, while a generalization, stands because it is , in relative terms , accurate. for an overwhelming majority of eastern resorts an overwhelming majority of the time... you pick the northern most area that is about 10 miles from being in another country, in the east as an example... jay is the exception not the rule...and it's not a very good exception as evidenced by the most recent jay report.... tony crocker's continual observation about the main difference between the east and west ( rain) is true and it is a large part of my point... using jay and it's 300 and whatever annual total does not au contraire the point....more mogul runs would be skied by all levels of skiers, and would be skiable more often in the east if they were maintained. (groomed nightly and reset every 10 days or so )
point # 2 regarding myth about perfectly spaced bumps being easier to ski and random natural ones.... it's just wrong and it imo and anyone who really believes that i think can't be a very high level bumper.... evenly spaced bumps required you to turn when you HAVE TO turn not when you want to turn . not that natural bumps allow you to turn when ever you want to.. obvoiusly they don't... but it is a distortion of the physics of it , to say that because the lines are evenly spaced it is easier... the statement makes an assumtion that the skier has the abilty to make perfect turns when ever they want....and all they have to do then is make them.... if you think about the it is a lot easier said than done... the idea also reflects a misunderstanding of how to proerly ski bumps.. it implies that the turns are somewhat made by the terrain itself and the skier somehow is able to let the terrain ( ie : the perfectly spaced bumps ) help with and or intitiate or finish the turn..... that's is not what good mogul skiing is about.. it's all about the skier making , starting and finishing , the turn(s). low level bumpers let the terrain ( at least somewhat ) make the turn(s) . this is not a condemnation or critisism of anyone's ability at all....everyone is where they are and as long as they are having fun and not endangering anyone else , i frankly don't care how they ski....but as someone who feels that in general, good mogul skiers don't get the respect they should, i have to react when i see blatantly untrue characterizations of the discipline. seeded bumps might trick you visually into thinking that they are easier to ski than less evenly spaced lines. but over the course of the run, the opposite could be argued... at a minimum, there is no difference when you are talking about more than 10 turns/bumps or so.... some people might think i am nuts with this technical analysis , but if the discussion was about racing or jibbing or whatever, and was devaluing the technical aspect of the discipline, as that statetent about seeded / manicured or whatever being easier does, i think the racer or jibber would be reacting as well. that's why i feel good mogul skiers are the best skiers out there... they have to be able to turn the instant they want to not when the terrain and their momentum makes it easier to, as most recreational skiers do...and that is why moguls are problematic for most... i think sheahunter and any good mogul skier will back me up on this

an earlier post has me saying that i agree that natural bumps are harder to ski... just so there is no confusion, the context of that was made assuming certain snow conditions that we have here a lot of the time in the east and certain terrain characteristics... when i hear natural bump run, i picture runs like at MRG and the goat at stowe with rocks and outcrcppings and such, as opposed to say, white heat at sunday river or o.l at K... just steep slopes that would just naturally be allowed to bump by just not grooming it...

joegm":18aiy5yd said:
no way chromer.. the statement, while a generalization, stands because it is , in relative terms , accurate. for an overwhelming majority of eastern resorts an overwhelming majority of the time... you pick the northern most area that is about 10 miles from being in another country, in the east as an example... jay is the exception not the rule...and it's not a very good exception as evidenced by the most recent jay report....

<shrug> Every time I've been there, Everglade has been a mile-long bump run. And it's 50-150 miles south of my usual American haunts of Sugarloaf, Big Squaw and Big Rock... Sugarloaf's Double Bitter and Ripsaw are awesome natural bump trails, BTW. Never groomed (except under VERY unusual circumstances), no snowmaking, narrow and fairly steep.

If you'd like another example from a more southernly clime, I was at Mt. Snow last weekend. Anything open that hadn't been groomed on Sunday (and quite a few that were) were bumping up nicely by about 1:00.

How about Liftline at MRG? It's a great natural bump trail, and you KNOW that MRG isn't setting bumps...

joegm":kqivdoxv said:
it implies that the turns are somewhat made by the terrain itself and the skier somehow is able to let the terrain ( ie : the perfectly spaced bumps ) help with and or intitiate or finish the turn..... that's is not what good mogul skiing is about.. it's all about the skier making , starting and finishing , the turn(s).

Turn 'em or burn 'em... Just like any other racing discipline, you miss one turn and you're toast.

joegm":1e2v2h6q said:
evenly spaced bumps required you to turn when you HAVE TO turn not when you want to turn . not that natural bumps allow you to turn when ever you want to.. obvoiusly they don't...

I generally agree with the bulk of that huge post except for this part. I think the nature of being a REALLY good bump skier is for someone to be able to turn anywhere they want in the bumps. Not that I always make it but this is what I strive for. I think that the best bump skiers that I have ever seen were they folks that were able to carve on through anywhere the pleased. It is like watching someone dance with the bump field, jumping between lines, take the zipper for a few then carve around a backside and launch off the next face, over a bump and right into a few turns on the faces of them. It is a beautiful thing to watch and a blast to do (for me that is when it works) :wink:

Ryan":103soizt said:
joegm":103soizt said:
evenly spaced bumps required you to turn when you HAVE TO turn not when you want to turn . not that natural bumps allow you to turn when ever you want to.. obvoiusly they don't...

I generally agree with the bulk of that huge post except for this part. I think the nature of being a REALLY good bump skier is for someone to be able to turn anywhere they want in the bumps. Not that I always make it but this is what I strive for. I think that the best bump skiers that I have ever seen were they folks that were able to carve on through anywhere the pleased. It is like watching someone dance with the bump field, jumping between lines, take the zipper for a few then carve around a backside and launch off the next face, over a bump and right into a few turns on the faces of them. It is a beautiful thing to watch and a blast to do (for me that is when it works) :wink:

Ryan, I hear what you're saying, but joegm is talking about competitive bump skiing, like the World Cup. Those courses are laid out like a race course and the bumps are pampered and smoothed daily to ensure uniformity. What you describe is more along the lines of freeskiing, not racing.

Back