Where to take the family?

Bluebird Day

OK, after all my hot air about skiing primarily out West, I am going to put myself out there and ask for some advice on where to take the family (New England bred wife who rips and my 5 yr old skier and 2 yr old slider) skiing within 3-4 hours of NYC. I am not too happy about my experiences at Jiminy and the last trip to Smugs was way too long for the kids, and thus, all of us. I am kicking around Greek Peak. I skied there 25 years ago while in college, but I don't remember what it is like :-k .

Any advice would be appreciated.

it really depends on budget..
we started taking family ski vacations 7 years ago , my kids were 5 and 9..
i have stayed top of the line and not so top of the line..my wife and i find that with young kids a pool is important..

Whiteface, whiteface, whiteface.... It may not have the best snow, but has the best ski town in the east, if not all of North America. You can skate, toboggan, tube, bobsled, luge, ski-jump, has a great apres scene, and lots of great restaurants and shops. Oh yeah did I mention the EC longest continual vert. Is 4 hours 15 minutes from NYC to long?

If the snow is good it is the best ski experience in the IMHO. I've been there in march/april where the snow was superb, and the slides offered the best lift served terrain in the east,... albeit with a 15 minute hike terrain in the east. The new terrain is more protected from the wind, so isn't as scratchy/windbuffed when conditions aren't optimal. Hopefully, the trees on lookout mountain will open this year.

Thanks guys, all good advice. Of course, with kids that young there are never any guarantees that we will see much skiing. I will run it past the boss (guess who that is?) and see if we can surpass the four hour drive limit by 15 minutes to get to White Face. [-( Otherwise, maybe Mount Snow.

Whiteface is excellent , but i have found with young kids a luxury ski in ski out hotel can't be beat. Okemo has Jackson Gore . The Mt Snow hotel I linked to is great too..I've stayed at both , no complaints.. At Mt Snow there is tubing right out the front door..

I'm a Whiteface/Lake Placid convert too. We had a great weekend there last December (article coming soon), but Jason's right about the ski-in/ski-out luxury thing with kids, and WF doesn't have that.

jamesdeluxe":3c3842sp said:
I'm a Whiteface/Lake Placid convert too. We had a great weekend there last December (article coming soon), but Jason's right about the ski-in/ski-out luxury thing with kids, and WF doesn't have that.

True, but I'm sure the Lake Placid Lodge, or the Mirror Lake in has some sort of child support. The Mirror Lake Inn has a fabulous spa which could make the wife very happy. The kids might be a bit young yet to appreciate Lake Placid. It might be better for them when the youngest is about 6. I do strongly recommend Whiteface/Lake Placid for you, it might change your mind about the EC. As a town it certainly competes with any in North America.

Bluebird Day":1l3kyu78 said:
Of course, with kids that young there are never any guarantees that we will see much skiing.
Have you tried kiddie Valium? Or lots of Kahlua on ice cream?
Or my personal fave: super glue and duct tape. Be imaginative in application.
Don't forget to pick up one of these:

baby_cage_blog200x165.jpg

(No, no one with any sense lets me anywhere near a baby sitting situation.)

If you can afford on-hill lodging, you can afford daycare for a 2-year-old. So make sure you have that nailed down when you choose a resort. Also investigate the quality of the kids ski program for the 5-year-old. Also a situation where the 5-year-old can ski with you for half a day and be in a kids program the other half. Partial days can be better at that age with stamina and attention span.

Agree on the pool being a plus. Since we have a backyard pool both kids learned to swim by 2 years old. So they were always up for a chance to swim in the winter.

We did haul the kids 5 hours to Mammoth for weekends at those ages. We also did weeklong trips to Vail/Steamboat at ages 9 months and 5 years and to Crested Butte/Telluride/Durango at ages 3 and 7.

I am surprised no one suggested Gore...I took my crew there years ago in March, the place was deserted and cheap - my Wife liked it better the WF which we did on the same trip and we have talked about going back but haven't as we like to spend our ski dollars in Canada eh! :-s

Back