Whitewater, BC 2/21/23

tseeb

After leaving Mustang via snowcat and school bus, then catching SB ferry with less than 5 minutes to spare, we got to Valhalla Inn in New Denver BC just before 9 PM. Skiace was out (sleeping) when I returned from seeing if gas station sold beer (they had closed) and that contributed to not buying advance tickets. So instead of paying C$100/89 Adult/Senior, we paid C$125/100 which hit my credit card as US$184 for one Adult and Senior. If we had to overpay, Whitewater seems as deserving as anywhere. We stopped at Dominion Cafe in Nelson on way to skiing and I had a pear, ginger and white chocolate muffin. While road from Nelson to Whitewater is short (21 km), it is relentlessly uphill, and the 9 Km after turning off Hwy 6 is steeper, and was snowpacked. Pictures in town of Nelson.
6046NelsonNewAge.JPG

6045BuddysPlace.JPG

6044TurningMan.JPG

They reported 4” new and 4” new on previous day and 2” new on each of the three days before so 5-day snowfall was 14”. Parking by Glory lift looked full so we parked next to snow in lot 2 after 9 and had short walk to where we could put on skis and poled past base of busy Summit lift to buy tickets. As at Revelstoke the previous Friday and Red Mountain the next day, a little new snow seems to bring out half the town in AM. There was about a 5 min line at Summit when we loaded about 10 and Glory had similar line or worse until about 11:30. We skied Ramble On and sampled a little powder on sides and on run far skiers left at bottom. Next run we took more direct route under lift and found some powder in glades before exiting on Backside Ski Way to avoid wearing ourselves out on last few hundred feet of steep trees or bumps.

We split up and found singles lines no faster, but I overheard older guy telling younger guy I shared lift with that Back Burner usually was overlooked and held powder. We skied double-diamond Backside Bowl then glades to the Ski Way. We skied a lot of steep powder glades looking for Back Burner before I saw small sign and skied it and found very good snow. To get back to base, we skied Diamond Drill past where we parked and went into very busy main lodge a little after 1. I got the $17 Thai bowl that with tax? and small tip cost C$19 or US$14.14. It was very healthy, huge and excellent.
6047WhitewaterMenu.JPG
Most people and Silver King lift that we never rode were done for the day due to wind and cold. We took a couple of frontside runs but it was much windier and snow was not as good as Glory side so we returned there on Morning Glory and skied another lap in Back Burner area still finding good snow.
0001Adam.JPG
0002Adam.JPG
0004Adam.JPG
We arrived base of Glory to find closed sign as it was after 3:30, but they let load. We finished our day skiing tough Dynamite back to car at almost 4. I was on my powder skis all day. They worked well in new snow and mostly open glades, but I had a couple of pre-releases in afternoon, including one where ski tumbled almost 100’ below me into Backside Bowl before stopping.
6049WhitewaterPilot.JPG

SkiTracks had 19.4K while adding vertical from the 7 Glory Ridge and 4 Summit lifts we rode adds up to 19.3K. Car had some new snow on it and doors and wipers were very stiff from the cold. We stopped by Nelson Brewing Co where they will soon sell pints but currently only sold flight of four 4 ounce tasters. The drive to Rossland was not bad. After getting into AirBnB and doing load of laundry, we went out to The Flying Steamshovel as it was Mardi Gras. We also went there for Happy Hour the next day. Beer menu.
6052SteamshovelBeers.JPG

Attachments

• 6046NelsonNewAge.JPG
    6046NelsonNewAge.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 51
Surely you had heard how great Whitewater's cafeteria food is? I would definitely have done breakfast there too.

Friends who were at Mustang with us recommended Dominion over breakfast at Whitewater. Whitewater is another of those ski areas (like Crystal Mountain) where I hear there are big, beautiful mountains nearby, but I never saw them. Whitewater plans to put a new chair named Queens Quad for next Winter. It will be to left of and go higher than Silver King. I think I also heard Whitewater will sell one ride or all day tickets for Silver King. I also heard that Glory Ridge is former High Noon lift from Vail

Back