wildcat, nh- 4-5 , waterville nh, 4-6

joegm

i just haven't been motivated to post this year since it's pretty much been the same stuff :roll: just about everywhere except stowe and jay, from what i can gather by reading the boards.
cat on wed was epic.. we hit it at the right time and got lucky.. they got around what they said... i think they said about a foot .. it was probably 8 at the top. some posted a few weeks ago i think that the lower part of the hill had pretty much no snow.. that was probably accurate as the lower part of the lift line remained closed on wed. if cat closes something , u know it's legit , unlike most other places :roll:
it was blue sky till about 2 then it started to spit snow... temps were about 40 at the base and just at 32 at the top.
2 basic lines down.. star line and lift lion on top and middle third to catenary or y;ou go skiers left and hit the groomed trails. it was heavy dense powder for sure.. but it in this pathetic season ( except for that lucky dog powder freak up in von trapp ville ) it was epic.... star line was skiable for sure with soft fresh all the down to the middle third. no real bump lines at the begining as bumps ususaly require snow, and they had none before the storm. one for the books for sure :p . and of course, there was no one there :roll:
logistics put us back at WV on thurs .. wv shuts it down on sunday apparently :roll: ... like cat , there was no one there :roll: the lines of MAN MADE SEEDED BUMPS on old techumseh that purist :roll: mad river glen renson took a shot at a while back were the order of the day. ( hey renson- how have the all natural bumps been at mad river the last 2 weeks :shock: :roll: oh yeah that's right , they closed :shock:.. been swinging the old 9 iron lately dude :roll: ) WV looked like it got 4 or 5 from the storm.. this set up the lines on old Techuseh perfectly. we had a crew of 4 smashing hitting them hard. nice and chily temps kept the snow from getting too too mushy. set up our flags on the middle part of old t to try and get a line working but there really wasn't enough of a base to form them up.
i can't wait for this " winter " to be over so we can finally start doing some real skiing in july :roll:

( hey renson- how have the all natural bumps been at mad river the last 2 weeks Shocked Rolling Eyes oh yeah that's right , they closed
not to pipe in for renson, but mad river was open last weekend and the natural bumps on fall line, chute, and paradise were friggin awesome, all things considered. who's taking pot shots? take the higher road next time dude...

Ummmm .... duh ..... I don't recall taking a shot at the MAN MADE SEEDED BUMPS, lately.

Does Burpee sell seeds for bumps in those little packets next to the Marigold seeds? :lol:

re: renson taking shots: see jsul185's WV post from 3-8-06

high road?: again see jsul185's post-seems like no other type of terrain ever gets shots thrown at it except seeded bumps. and you know what, that's really quite ironic....anyone who thinks that skiing seeded bumps is easier than natural bumps, i would be willing to bet a couple of steak dinners , more than likely skis moguls by letting the bump dictate the turn :? , by letting the bump smash your legs up into your chest :? , by letting the bump push your ski tips around :? . but as cj, jimg, double d dipiro and the very few other legit moguls skiers :D on this site know, that's not correct mogul skiing. :shock:

angry little man?: hard to be angry after skiing the 2 best days of the year. a little aggravated every now and then becasue the industry has absolutely no respect at all for bump skiing? you betcha boss. to wit: boston globe ski coverage 2 weekends ago: alpine nationals at sugarloaf; 7 total printed stories over 4 days; 1 ski writer live on scene. freestyle nationals at killington same weekend: 0 total stories- 0 mentions- 0 printed results and 0 reporters live at the hill . goose eggs across the board for the best , most versitile, well rounded skiers on the hill :roll: what a JOKE!!!!!!!!
Joe
Remember:
Friends don't let friends sit on their arses in the spring... unless your hill has no snow :wink:

joegm":cdp8bj7a said:

JoeGM ...........on 3/8, I typed in "Duh ....ummm ....duh ....what are seeded bumps?" . How is that taking shots ?????

So, like, back to the original question: what are seeded bumps?

Mark Renson":1qhwi4cc said:
joegm":1qhwi4cc said:

JoeGM ...........on 3/8, I typed in "Duh ....ummm ....duh ....what are seeded bumps?" . How is that taking shots ?????

So, like, back to the original question: what are seeded bumps?

Its a Mcmountain thing. You wouldn't be interested. :wink: :lol:

awf170, when jsul185 and i see dale begg smith, toby dawson, dave babic, hannah kearney, john smart and chuck martin and any other world cup bumpers who are in blackcomb this summer, we will be sure to let em know that you send your regards to some of the best " mc-skiers " :? :? :? :? in the world. r u kidding me :roll:

At the risk of flame, I'm going to get on my soapbox here.

One of the attractions of skiing is its variety. Many of us here would like to ski blower powder most of the time, but realistically that's not going to happen. So most of the time I ski packed powder, windblown, spring conditions, even a few moguls and have a good time doing it. I make the initial decision where to ski based upon preferences, historical trends, estimate of current conditions etc., but once I'm there I try to make the best of it and not whine if it's something less than 5% untracked.

We all know joegm loves the bumps, but I know those Smart/Douglas camps aren't cheap (my son went there in 2002). Does it make sense for every destination trip to be there in July? Wouldn't you think joegm would try a trip like Patrick's in the winter once in a while, just to see what a big western area is like in all its diversity (yes that will include some moguls), and maybe even experience some powder?

I have similar thoughts on the "McSkiing" issue. Mt. Baldy and Mad River have the terrain and snowfall patterns to offer exciting skiing in its natural state a fair proportion of the time. Snow Summit and most of the East outside the Northern Vermont snowbelt do not. Therefore it makes perfect sense to me that the latter areas would turn to intensive snowmaking, grooming and terrain park construction to create a more consistent product. And here I'll side with joegm. Cannon's natural snow bump runs under the tram have adequate cover once in a blue moon based the reports I've read here. So I would agree that areas without abundant natural snow should use snowmaking and seeding to create a decent bump run or two. Same principle exactly as the terrain park: create more challenge at an otherwise less than exciting area.

great well thought out post tony.

despite my earlier laughter at mark's humerous joke, i would just like to verify i think tony is right on in his comments about seeded bumps being a good thing for areas laking good natural snow fall and consistantly good natural bump lines. not to say seed bumps to the exclusion of natural bumps, but a good and fair compromise could be reached at any area willing to cator to more than the lowest common denomenator (and it could be arguable that areas that do not seed bumps are actually ignoring the lowest common denomenator). any ways, the point is, as tony pointed out, variety and diversity are a good thing.

joegm":3txwm1pl said:
awf170, when jsul185 and i see dale begg smith, toby dawson, dave babic, hannah kearney, john smart and chuck martin and any other world cup bumpers who are in blackcomb this summer, we will be sure to let em know that you send your regards to some of the best " mc-skiers " :? :? :? :? in the world. r u kidding me :roll:

Ummm if you didn't notice I put a wink in there. I was kidding. :roll:

Tony Crocker":f8753jyp said:
One of the attractions of skiing is its variety.

Amen.

Steeps, Packed Powder, Wide icy groomers, Trees, Widing Trails, Blacks and Blues...even greens. Winter or Spring. Cold or Hot, even R from now and then. You name it, I ski it. Yes, even bumps, grass and sand... How else you someone explain that my top 4 areas in the East are not all the same. Sugarloaf (which some adore, but some don't), Stowe, Whiteface (aka Iceface) and Mad River Glen (Mud Rocks and Grass).

Tony Crocker":f8753jyp said:
Does it make sense for every destination trip to be there in July? Wouldn't you think joegm would try a trip like Patrick's in the winter
Actually Mammoth in July looks tempting this year. :roll: Quick, someone slap me out of it. :? :lol: [-o<

Mark Renson":363dul79 said:
What are seeded bumps?
Seeded bumps are essentially manufactured artifically instead of exclusively through skier patterns. This can involve groomer machines moving and piling snow, maintainence, tools, and speficically directed bump traffic to form correctly. Slipping is involved in teh maintainence. Seeded bumps are essentially the process of "grooming" bump runs, if you would. The lines are usually very consistant and ideal for zipper lining.

riverc0il":2dgke6rd said:
Mark Renson":2dgke6rd said:
What are seeded bumps?
Seeded bumps are essentially manufactured artifically instead of exclusively through skier patterns. This can involve groomer machines moving and piling snow, maintainence, tools, and speficically directed bump traffic to form correctly. Slipping is involved in teh maintainence. Seeded bumps are essentially the process of "grooming" bump runs, if you would. The lines are usually very consistant and ideal for zipper lining.

Holy Fecal Matter. Sounds like a major and intricate effort. Was there a time when ski areas would place hay bales prior to the season and let 'em get covered with snow in order to make bumps? ....or was that some urban legend sorta' thing?

Does Burpee know about this seeded bump thing? :lol:

this is a beaten horse, but the continued posting of bad information about this subject is really irritating to me, as i'm sure it is to jimg, double dd, cj, jsul 185 and anyone else who skis bumps AND TRIES TO SKI THEM PROPERLY on a regular basis.

it's really ridiculous that this is being made out to be more than it really is..
seeded bumps are not the big broadway production :roll: that some are making them out to be. and anyone who is advocating that doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

seeded bumps are no different than ( in somewhat descending order of perceived MC - WHATEVER NESS ) cutting a half pipe, digging in a rail, regularly grooming a trail with carpet, and yes all the bark eater self proclaimed purists skiing tree lines that have had even 1 tree cut or pruned out. ( cause if we are gonna be thumbing our noses here , lets at least put all the cards on the table, right boys )

the purity of the terrain that contains "seeded bumps" is no less "impure" as any tree line at mad river glen. something , at some point , was done to the line by humans - be it cutting down a tree or pushing a pile of snow around to kick start even left right turns . any of these self proclaimed purists can come off like they are the snow whites of the ski world if they want to. but it's a load of bull cookies

imo, river mistakenly gives the impression that seeding and maintaining a mogul line is a production on the scale of a major motion picture hollywood set. again, bull cookies.

it doesn't take special machines and cutters and tools to seed a line of bumps. :roll: it takes,1) snow, 2) a regular groomer and 3) the plain old desire to do it. ( and that part is the most aggravting part that is lacking )

river is describing a world cup mogul course. well the last time i checked, no one on this site is asking for, or is a a postion to demand , a world cup mogul course. there is a happy medium. and that's why this whole discussion is fraudulent by 99% of the people who are commenting on it.. they are making it out to the extremes.

for every single eastern ski area to not have at least 1 half the side of 1 blue and black trail with seeded bumps is a total joke. seeded in the ( what i thought was the common sense understanding :roll: ) sense of simply putting up evenly spaced piles of snow with a groomer and letting these piles becomes rounded out by skiing over and in them. side slipping- sure , that will help speed up the process- but it's more about just skiing them in and being forced to turn ( or in the case of 99% of the public be turned :oops: ) by the bump. and every 2 weeks, they get flattened and rebuilt in the same easy way.. what is the big deal :shock:

this is why bumpers are the best skiers - they are forced to turn - either by their own weight shift and knee roll- ( these are the good bump skiers :p )or are forced to turn by the bump itself - these are the not so good bump skiers :cry: )

the general public , ( generally) does not know how to ski well- in a technical sense) they don't know how to make even left / right turns. this becomes really problematic with natural mogul runs in the east. ever wonder why a very high % these delightful natural bump runs tend to , over time, have high walled out right turns that are often impossible to navigate :? .. think about it . it's a safe bet to say that if you can make , again you make not the bump , super tight left right turns in one of those " easy " :roll: seeded bump lines, you should be able to make turns of varying radius' not problem what so ever in pretty much any other types of terrain- and that includes trees and those " natural bump runs "...

it's total hogwash that seeded bumps are easier to ski than natural bumps...people can trick themselves into thinking this because they think that by allowing the front side of a tightly spaced bump in a mogul line to shove their knees and feet up and rotate to some degree - that they are killing it in the bump run. it's baloney and any legit mogul skier can spot the difference between phony bump skiing and legit bump skiing. but again, this is not about casting judgement on anyone's ability. it's about getting decent lines to ski bumps on . it's no different than renson and his crew having decent tree lines at mad river.

the bottom line is the east coast cannot hold a candle to the west coast . the one true " pure form " of skiing- going above tree line and skiing down in powder is not an option in the east. therefore we need to improvise.

we cut in tree lines, we build jumps, we put in rails- we groom trails with carpet - we set up plastic pegs that bend and ski around them :roll: and sometimes ( god save the queen ) we seed some bumps .

i find the tone of anyone who has to ask " what are seeded bumps " to have just a little bit of snooty ness about it- you don't have to ask what's a groomed run- what's a halfpipe- what's a glade run- seeded bupms are no different ( or shouldn't be viewed any differently than any of those things. but for some reason- they are.

a seeded blue and black bump line should be on the same level of priority as , a half pipe, rails , booters kickers, glade runs, natural bump runs, tubing runs , hot todie runs and whatever the hell else resorts in the east do. but they are not, and i dare say it's because of attitudes and perceptions like renson's.

tony, i don't go west in the winter for one reason , money.. to go west west for say 6 days on snow, i can ski 25 days here at home. your point of terrain is legit. my point is , i would be very happy to stay home if i got consistent bump lines . and i do go west.. in the summer... the best time to ski :wink: ( that is for all us eastern chumps who ski hardpack 80% of the year )

river is describing a world cup mogul course. well the last time i checked, no one on this site is asking for, or is a a postion to demand , a world cup mogul course. there is a happy medium. and that's why this whole discussion is fraudulent by 99% of the people who are commenting on it.. they are making it out to the extremes.
yea, my comment in this discussion are fraudulent. :roll: go blow joe, i am officially done with any discussion on this topic on this forum. joe, if you want to advocate this position as strongly as you are doing, i suggest being less antagonizing, more civil, and less passionate. you just come off as a pompus ass. but alienating those offering conciliatory comments you have good points and a legitiment position is not going to further your cause nor change people's opinions. good luck to you, you are going to need it with your attitude.

Back