Will Snowbasin be decent on Sat.?

baldyskier

I'm flying into SLC tonight, staying in Fruit Heights until Wed. Wondering how SB may fare with warmer storm.

Possible rain at the lower elevations but favored on this type of flow.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I was there today. It was a very good day. Coulda been epic but the snow was on and off after the 6 inches overnight. Maybe an additional inch, tops, instead of the 7-to-9 predicted. What really helped was the wind in Strawberry. It filled things in nicely after the morning rush, and everyone must've abided by the "no strawberry on low visibility" rule (it was just the top). So I was getting "first tracks" right under the gondola in the most obvious spots and elsewhere at 1,2 and 3 pm. That was on top of lucking into Mt Allen Tram opening at 11.

When I left, the snow was soft and creamy and filled in where the wind is favorable but temp climbed from 27 to 45 just driving down to Fruit Heights. Bit surprising. It was in the low thirties driving in, in the morning.
Also, Saturday mornings are a zoo compared to Friday. You really should try Snowbasin on a weekday. Because it has few resort skiers, the weekday/weekend difference is much more magnified. The mountain is almost empty after the first couple of hours. It doesn't help that there has been talk of 4 feet from this storm (of which only 7 inches has materialized so far). That will get the locals out in full force. If it snows during the day, it will still be a great afternoon.

Spoke to Patrol and they don't intend to open any gates until after this storm. Mt Allen is serving just the front face (Men's/Women's downhill, not No Name).

If you end up going, shoot me an email -- ekarpak at gmail. I will most likely be there, after checking temps in the morning.

Hit up PowMow today - great lines all day long. Solid 12 inches+ in many spots. No shortage of face shots.

By afternoon, multiple lifts were on wind hold. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.......Road coming down was treacherous........

jojo_obrien":1pn76g92 said:
Road coming down was treacherous........

It always is. Nastiest access road in the state.

I decided to stay in today. Seeing 40mph at the *base* and just raw weather. Looking at the webcam, there was a huge line at Needles and now there is nobody there -- just as bad. I think it is on wind-hold. I hear Powder Mtn. never opened.

Evren":tu2j4dyy said:
I hear Powder Mtn. never opened.
Correct. Their web site states sustained winds over 50mph. They can't run any of their lifts.

Also, Snowbasin is basically in the same condition. From their web site at 11am:
Snowbasin":tu2j4dyy said:
Snowbasin will continue to attempt to open. Weather forecasts are not favorable for high winds to subside. The expectation to open is not very good.

Little Cat chair lift IS open. As is the tubing hill. So enjoy those two options while waiting to see is[sic] the winds subside enough to open the rest of the lifts.

UPDATE: by noon they were able to open the John Paul lift:
Snowbasin will continue to attempt to fully open. Currently Little Cat and John Paul lifts are operating. Weather forecasts are not favorable for high winds to subside. The expectation to open the whole resort is not very good.

Effin' rockin' in LCC today. Winds have subsided but even earlier they weren't that bad. Unfortunately the whole world thinks it's great, too. More later. Hoping that the 2:30 road closure empties this place out.

Yep. The text msg from the Sheriff's dept. that informed of the road closure also mentioned that "...all [LCC] resorts at capacity...".

epic fail today.....................purgatory ............

went to PowMow -- was going into Eden grocery store to buy discounted tickets.........bus driver @ PowMow stated that the resort was closed....super bummed...

went over to Snowbasin -- RED SNAKE -- lot E by 830 am .......bumper to bumper -- worse than Mammoth/Baldy, etc...........sucked......bought tix in Eden.......

was told the resort would NOT open up at all .....so went home........

got online and saw the lifts were crankin............just thrilled........

got zero lines today on what some of the APP was calling the best day of the year

so all i have to say is: wa wa waaaaaaaa

jojo_obrien":2cip7ozf said:

I was checking web sites periodically - John Paul didn't run till after noon - the other major lifts not until 2:30 or later.
On days like this, where there is either the possibility of weather affecting lift operation or the likelihood of crowds, the best bet is usually.....Big Cottonwood Canyon.

>wa wa waaaaaaaa

Thanks for the honesty. Sometimes a "bad" report is just as good.

Now, the question is... will people be even more determined tomorrow morning, to get in at least one decent day this weekend?

Evren":ena7sjrw said:
>wa wa waaaaaaaa

Now, the question is... will people be even more determined tomorrow morning, to get in at least one decent day this weekend?

Some of us had our best day this year thus far.

jojo_obrien":1ujsc97a said:
epic fail today.....................purgatory ............

went to PowMow -- was going into Eden grocery store to buy discounted tickets.........bus driver @ PowMow stated that the resort was closed....super bummed...

went over to Snowbasin -- RED SNAKE -- lot E by 830 am .......bumper to bumper -- worse than Mammoth/Baldy, etc...........sucked......bought tix in Eden.......

got zero lines today on what some of the APP was calling the best day of the year

so all i have to say is: wa wa waaaaaaaa

I had almost the same day. Rather disappointing.
Any opinions on what tomorrow will be like? I have weather voucher for another day at SB, although I have until Wednesday to use it. With this warmer storm, will conditions be better in LCC?

Admin":2os2meb2 said:

It wasn't too bad today. We took a field trip over to Alta, saw you in the lift line and walked in front of you as you waited to leave today. Most of my friends left to beat the road closure, I was glad we stayed. Although, even after nachos and a pitcher of PBR the traffic was still pretty bad.

Tomorrow should be pretty good, back to Snowbird for me, hopefully to a running tram!

>Some of us had our best day this year thus far.

Admin, every day is your best day thus far.

Admin":3lnlw1xf said:
Evren":3lnlw1xf said:
>wa wa waaaaaaaa

.........considering yesterday I had arguably more face shots in one day and more vertical in completely untracked than I have had the entire winter........I'd say the weekend ended up fairly well........

Looking forward to Monday/Tuesday \:D/ ......................

BobMc":r2ur1ki7 said:
saw you in the lift line and walked in front of you as you waited to leave today.

Next time say hello!

Back