Winter Break Trip - Japan?

socal

I know this isn't the right forum but I only read the Western US and I assume this gets the most traffic. I poked around on Tony's bestsnow.net but didn't see any good info. Is there any data on if Niseko is a good bet for a trip around New Years? We're considering, the kids have the week after New Years off and that's our only vacation time long enough for a trip to Japan.

I don't have vast amounts of experience with Niseko. I've only been there twice. Once was New Year week a few years before covid. It was very very crowded. And Niseko is busier now than it was due to it having been discovered by the Chinese. It is comparatively very expensive generally and that week for accommodation in particular. If I was going to Japan for that week I would stay in towns to get the full cultural experience and drive to smaller less touristy ski areas. The seaside town of Otaru is a lovely place to stay to access Sapporo Teine, Kiroro, Tenguyama, and Kokusai and even Rusutsu. Also check out Furano (both town and resort) if you want to stay near ski lifts.

I understand some people say driving to ski areas with kids is a hassle but when my kids were younger that was our general style of ski holiday and we always had a fabulous time.

I don't think Tony will mind too much if I divert you to the Australian ski forum. It is unquestionably the best research tool for Japan ski trips there is.

I have been to Hokkaido twice but not earlier than about Jan. 8. I suspect sbooker has it right. Niseko lodging is not cheap and that’s likely worse for a holiday week.

The 2016 trip was a mix half Niseko and half smaller places but it was 12 days.

Restricting to only one week, being a holiday and bringing kids are all small negatives that add up. Age and ski ability of kids affect that factor.

Last edited:
Good feedback, guess it's not so much the snow but crowds that's the issue. We have Ikon so would prefer an Ikon desitnation. Kids are now both upper intermediates so ability isn't so much of an issue. We'll probably bail on Japan and just book in November or early December when snow is on the ground. Hopefully Jackson works this year after canceling last year. We are off the week after new years so usually its less crowded.

And I'll post in the right forum next time!

Good feedback, guess it's not so much the snow but crowds that's the issue. We have Ikon so would prefer an Ikon desitnation. Kids are now both upper intermediates so ability isn't so much of an issue. We'll probably bail on Japan and just book in November or early December when snow is on the ground. Hopefully Jackson works this year after canceling last year. We are off the week after new years so usually its less crowded.

And I'll post in the right forum next time!
Isn’t it great skiing with you’re kids when they are at an age before boyfriends and girlfriends start distracting them from having great family time? I’m sure you’ll have a great time wherever you go and whatever the conditions.

Isn’t it great skiing with you’re kids when they are at an age before boyfriends and girlfriends start distracting them from having great family time? I’m sure you’ll have a great time wherever you go and whatever the conditions.
Hadn't thought about that yet! But it's great, they're 8 and 10, can ski pretty much everything but the double blacks at mammoth at this point so finally feels like the years, $1000s of dollars in lessons, and missed powder days are starting to pay off.

I don't think Tony will mind too much if I divert you to the Australian ski forum. It is unquestionably the best research tool for Japan ski trips there is.
The title of this thread isn't that helpful, but there is useful info after the first section. Link below is to a post by Sandy. Sandy lived in Japan for quite a while before moving back to Australia. He's also spent a fair amount of time in Texas, which is where his current wife is from.

Hadn't thought about that yet! But it's great, they're 8 and 10, can ski pretty much everything but the double blacks at mammoth at this point so finally feels like the years, $1000s of dollars in lessons, and missed powder days are starting to pay off.
It's a great time to ski as a family at that age and we too found our kids could go to most places on the mountain at that age even without the lessons that I now know we should have invested in.
I'm dragging my 17 and 19 year old kids for one last ski holiday on my dime to Utah and surrounds this coming Christmas/early January. I know they would probably prefer to be going camping back home with their mates..............we will force them to have fun skiing the iconic mountains!

Edit. My kids have made 'complaints' in the past that the only holidays they've ever done are international ski holidays.

My daughters are 30 and 27. We still do one big family trip a year. Get this they prefer to go on ski trips with me over their friends. Hmm I wonder if it’s because we pay 🤔😎

I’m sure ours will want to hang with us again once the extremely social phase of their life is done.

Yes if they are avid skiers they will still take ski trips with you. Adam’s college spring breaks:
2004: Aspen, Telluride (NASJA meeting), Silverton.
2005: Whistler including 2 days Extremely Canadian clinic and a heli day at TLH
2006: 2 weeks in Egypt including 4 minute total solar eclipse.
2007: Alyeska including one day snowcat and two days heli.

I know this isn't the right forum but I only read the Western US and I assume this gets the most traffic.
Pretty much guarantee that if you put a thread like this up here, at this time or year, or anytime, it will get seen and read.

Thanks for moving Tony.

Pretty much guarantee that if you put a thread like this up here, at this time or year, or anytime, it will get seen and read.

Thanks for moving Tony.
Lesson learned, and makes me realize I need to read more than the Western forum sometimes!

Back