Winter Park, CO 1-9-2022

EMSC

First race of the season for Jr. Which means I was stuck in more limited areas of the resort than a typical ski day.

Mostly a chamber of commerce type day as I call it. Meaning small amounts of fresh snow the day & night prior (4" in 24 and 1" overnight to keep things soft and fluffy, but not anything like too much as to make skiing difficult for the masses. Plus of course a bluebird day. However it was definitely chilly early, with -2F on the car thermometer at 7:15a when we pulled into the village parking garage. Race day would be the only time I would ever pay to park at Winter Park ($30) and only since we have to be on the Winter Park side of the resort with early lift load at 8a for course inspection. Traffic was not horrid, but quite heavy on I70 even that early in the am and fairly slow-ish paced on Berthod pass, esp the Winter Park side which was snow covered and slick both ways, where the I-70 side of the pass was snow free by the afternoon.

Anyway it was Mrs EMSC's first day of the season (!) given the poor conditions early and the repeated days at Eldora on only OK surfaces.

The snow surface was excellent. Pretty much as good as it gets without being a powder day. Excellent groomers with an inch of fluff early, super soft bumps, etc... Really she only skied half the day before sticking in the base area after lunch. Due to Covid last year they really changed around the format of races to reduce field sizes. So each gender has its own race day; and with the reduced size of the field, for SL they can now get 4 race runs in per day. Which is great for the kids, but provides less 'get-away' free ski time for the parents.

While there are a handful of 'bones' still to hit, in general the base depth is quite good for this time of year. WP is claiming something like 150" YTD though I'm sure that counts some early snow that Tony would never allow due to the warm early season and melting. I can also say that WP is not a resort that is requiring masking at their Gondola for those that are interested in that requirement that a few resorts have put into place for Trams & Gondolas.

Early am at top of Olympia Express:
Image00001.jpg

In the trees near the newly re-named Explorer lift (used to be named Eskimo for many many years).
Image00002.jpg

The only trails closed on the Winter Park side of the ski area are closed only due to snowmaking on Hughes. The reason for continued snowmaking is that Hughes is the race trail for FIS GS and Super G races. They have some huge swales on it that are roped in some cases to allow you to make your way to other trails, but also block some trails. Winding your way down the maze actually lead to some of the softest and best snow of the day.
Image00003.jpg

Upper part of Hughes
Image00004.jpg

20220109_110314.jpg

The race was on lower Hughes and accessible via the Arrow lift. Here is the start area:
Image00006.jpg

Race in action:
Image00007.jpg

Everyone knows about the invention of the Bradley Packer right?
Image00008.jpg

Original communications tower and newer 'fake tree' style communications tower
Image00009.jpg

Best snow of the day for me was on Little Pierre which was only open part of the day off the Hughes trail rope maze.
Image00010.jpg

Solid snow depths in the area for this time of year.
Image00012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WP is claiming something like 150" YTD though I'm sure that counts some early snow that Tony would never allow due to the warm early season and melting.
31 inches of that was in October. I do not recall but that might be a proportionate estimate comparing with Loveland. Nonetheless it's encouraging that EMSC with local perspective thinks that snow coverage is now in a normal range. Winter Park reports 83% open. Vail finally has its act together at its flagship with 93%, and also 89% at Beaver Creek. However Breck is at 62% and Keystone 47%.

I took the liberty of inserting the full size race-in-action pic in its logical spot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reports. I will be driving solo from VA to UT in a few days for a lengthy stay in UT. I am taking a route through CO to stop for a few days and take advantage of my IKON base pass. My main destination in CO will be Steamboat for three days/nights. The low budget motels there are currently cheaper than in Summit County :p

However, on Jan 17 I expect to be making the drive from Denver to Steamboat and hope to stop along the way and ski for 4 or 5 hours at either Copper or Winter Park. These reports help me gauge how well those resorts are doing. Thanks. I haven't skied Copper in 10 years and WP in almost 20 and only have a couple total days at each.

Given EMSC's lackluster general feelings about WP, he seemed to have had a good day.

I've always liked the signage there:
image00008-jpg.30495

These reports help me gauge how well those resorts are doing. Thanks.
No problem. Snow depth is about normal for this time of year and all but the steepest and rockiest stuff is open. Not a lot of snow in the forecast this week and only small amounts this weekend, so surfaces could stiffen up a bit.

Given EMSC's lackluster general feelings about WP, he seemed to have had a good day.
True, and for several reasons:
-Finally enough snow to ski natural snow trails
-As usual WP has above average snow surfaces for central Colo which helps make up for other negatives there (they just get a bit more it seems)
-No I70 Tunnel headaches (though some headaches on Berthod Pass headed home)
-First time on skis since Nov 20th! (I've been snowboarding the whole time to keep my interest level up)
-Actually time to do an activity. 2021 was nuts with other things and way too little exercise or free time. 2022 will be different shortly (another couple weeks of nutty, before I'm down to only very busy)

Back