Winter Park, CO Jan 29, 2023

EMSC

Very nice snow.

Once again a race day for Jr so somewhat limited ski forays in between race runs. Recent storm had provided a foot of new the day prior at WP and plenty of super soft snow and chopped up powder remained in certain areas and trees. This despite that I heard the crowds were unbelievably huge on Saturday up there. I believe it was over 3.5 hours for those who tried to drive up to WP Sat am (normally 1.5 hours on good roads with no traffic). It took us just under 2 hours on Sunday am mostly due to traffic, not so much due to bad roads. And that was with a 5:45a departure time. Racers loaded lift 30 min ahead of public at 8a so our arrival was essentially a perfect balance of early and sleep as long as possible.

With storminess the day prior along with very cold air for the plains, it was a great day to ski with temps in the teens and low 20s all day under mostly overcast skies. By comparison Denver officially was near 0F all day long (and -10F overnight last night). So a bit of a weird drive home as to temps - Dinner in town of WP at ~20F, still a balmy 17F at the top of Berthoud Pass, +6F by the bottom of the pass near Empire, -6F in Idaho Springs and then back up to +1F by the time we arrived home.

I always treat WP as a place with good snow, but you get what you get operationally (usually in a less than good way). They are claiming well over 200" YTD snowfall, yet still have the Cirque and like two more random trails that have never opened this season. They also have several other operational policies that make zero sense, but as I didn't have time to get to those areas I can complain about them some other ski day.

9am and Panorama already has a line. Snow was pretty excellent up there though... Lots of super-soft stuff in the trees still.
Image00001.jpg

Chilly breeze up top like always.
Image00002.jpg

Heading back to the race on the WP side...
Image00003.jpg

Some sort of small kids mogul comp far right, and ski race. Love what the camera came up with as I swung the phone around in panorama mode - those are some funky orange legs, lol.
Image00004.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-01-30-09h51m54s353.jpg

Lots of only partially cut up fluff in the trees was still available. Pioneer lift terrain.
Image00005.jpg

Getting a couple free runs in after the race. Explorer lift here.
Image00006.jpg

Relatively balmy warm town of Winter Park
Image00007.jpg

Snowbanks on WP side of the pass (actually near the very bottom of the pass). Not Tahoe esq, but solidly decent for still Jan. I'm sure Tony will update on official numbers on his website soon for end of Jan (or maybe update will be a few days later as he skis Europe).
Image00008.jpg

Back