Most unique ski areas in North America

digaaron

Hi all,

I'm starting work on an article about the most unique ski areas in North America and wondering if the expert brain trust here has any suggestions.

So far I've got: Alta, Silverton, Turner Mountain, Mad River Glenn, Hankin-Evelyn, Timberline, Beartooth Pass, Mt Bohemia, and Mt Greylock Ski Club.

Those are some funky places that I'm looking forward to writing about. I could use a few more. All ideas are welcome!

Uniqueness, of course, is in eye of the beholder.

For example, Alta is certainly unique in terms of snowfall, terrain, history, and culture. However, IMO it is a lot less weird than most of the other areas on your list so far.

Despite the co-op ownership and single chair, MRG is a lot less weird than it used to be now that many Northern VT ski areas are not just quietly tolerating, but encouraging and facilitating tree skiing.

Of the areas on your list, in addition to Alta, I'm pretty familiar with MRG and Mt. Bohemia. I would suggest adding Powder Mountain, and maybe Whitewater. Both are areas with respectable acreage, snowfall, terrain and name recognition, and both are at least as idiosyncratic as many of the areas on your list so far.

digaaron":2ftvba81 said:
Hi all,

I'm starting work on an article about the most unique ski areas in North America and wondering if the expert brain trust here has any suggestions.

So far I've got: Alta, Silverton, Turner Mountain, Mad River Glenn, Hankin-Evelyn, Timberline, Beartooth Pass, Mt Bohemia, and Mt Greylock Ski Club.

Those are some funky places that I'm looking forward to writing about. I could use a few more. All ideas are welcome!
What are your criteria for "most unique"? In that list above, Alta doesn't really fit and it's a stretch to include the volunteer run ski club of Mt. Greylock in among commercial operations.

Maybe Cloudmont Alabama?

Unique is very much in the eye of the beholder...

Admin":1y81y9m8 said:
Marc_C":1y81y9m8 said:
Beartooth Pass technically isn't a ski area

How do you figure that? It has a poma lift open to the public.
Saw that after I posted and realized I was thinking of someplace else. I edited my post but you grabbed the quote before I updated.

Back