2019-20 Season Recap

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Moderator: Tony Crocker

Re: 2019-20 Season Recap

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:52 pm

I was curious to hear the details of your trip. Thanks.

q wrote:I rely on bars free wifi to check emails and the like

Your friend in Phillipsburg has no internet???

q wrote:The parking lots midweek were like a weekend and the plates came from WA, SD, CA and the like.

That would have included me starting March 19 if Lonnie had not bailed. Discovery on a weekend is not like other places. My day there in 2015 was a Sunday and lifts were not full and the slopes were not dense by any stretch of the imagination. So I'd be interested in q's take of what he defines as "busy" at Discovery. This is more than an academic question because in 2020-21 we may be skiing a lot at places like that if the high profile places are rationed/restricted.

It's also interesting that Discovery is not on Powder Alliance, Indy Pass or any kind of exchange program with passholders from other areas.

q wrote:I changed plans and as it was completely unclear how I'd get home with Delta I cut my losses and booked a BA trip via Heathrow home. I was concerned I'd end up stranded in Amsterdam going with Delta.

I hear that and also had some level of paranoia about the airlines. Liz had to fly home from Florida on March 14 and back to Florida on March 18 and both were without incident. The key to my plan to fly to Bozeman March 18 and head for Discovery was that I would not have to fly home if the situation deteriorated further. I was confident as long as we could drive home to SoCal in Lonnie's car at any time, but once he bailed I did too and have credit from Delta for that flight.

q wrote:I was allowed out once a day for 30 minutes of exercise, once a day for essential shopping and told to work from home.

Who monitors that? The answer in California, which was more locked down than many places, is no one. I tried to limit the shopping trips to 2-4x a week, but I went pretty much wherever I wanted for exercise, in some cases 1+ hour from home. In a region I've lived most my life I knew which places would be quiet, even if nominally closed.

Here in Florida my exercise is exclusively at the beach as it's too damn hot in summer to exercise anywhere else. De facto I'm following the California April/May protocol of being active: walking, running or being in the water. Again, it's too hot and humid to just sit on the beach. When we're done we go home to the air conditioning, which is fine since the beach is only 10 minutes away.

There is similarly no monitoring of who visits other households. My younger son Andrew came to my house April 2 and is still there. I visited my older son Adam in San Diego May 7-8 and have been in Florida with Liz and her mother since June 9. I stayed with 4 different households/friends on the drive from California plus one hotel night.

We Americans are not as inclined as Brits or Aussies (see sbooker's posts about rules there) to follow rules without questioning, which has surely contributed to some of the problems here. I'll plead guilty to that attitude myself. I read about the virus, draw my own conclusions about levels of risk of various activities and act accordingly.

I am a bit annoyed with non-observance of mask wearing indoors or where specifically required, as on my 4 ski days at Baldy and A-Basin. I was grateful to be able to ski at all under the circumstances. If a business is making the effort to be open for their customers, let's help them out by maximizing the odds they can stay open.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:52 am

Tony Crocker wrote:We Americans are not as inclined as Brits or Aussies (see sbooker's posts about rules there) to follow rules without questioning, which has surely contributed to some of the problems here. I'll plead guilty to that attitude myself. I read about the virus, draw my own conclusions about levels of risk of various activities and act accordingly.

This ^^ is very similar to our discussion of skiing what many on this board would consider to be potentially dangerous avalanche terrain in the Alps. I believe that it's called a heuristic short cut combined with an American inclination to, as Tony mentions above, question/reject mandates that restrict their freedom to do what they want where they want.

Not judging. A big reason I don't wander further afield in the Alps on powder reconnaissance missions like Tony is that I'm not an expert skier and don't feel comfortable moving into terrain (as mouth-watering as it may appear) that I'm not familiar with, which is often the case since I tend to be at new-to-me ski areas a good percentage of the time.
jamesdeluxe

Postby snowave » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:12 am

TonyC - "limit shopping trips to 2-4x a week"? That's a lot, even by non-virus standards, IMO. What's up with that?

The days I did Discovery about 10 yrs ago was a weekend on their pass sale day. There were 5-10 min lift lines and the lodge was kinda crazy.. then, the really slow lifts. On another note...It took me a couple years of riding at Wolf Creek to know they (Pitchers) also own Discovery. Now that I look back at riding there, I can see the resemblances in operations, etc... (Was not crazy about Wolf Creek's ownership and operations... lacked common sense most of the time).

q- sounds like a crazy trip. Good to still seeing you going to P-burg.
Sno..
snowave

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:Not judging. A big reason I don't wander further afield in the Alps on powder reconnaissance missions like Tony is that I'm not an expert skier and don't feel comfortable moving into terrain (as mouth-watering as it may appear) that I'm not familiar with, which is often the case since I tend to be at new-to-me ski areas a good percentage of the time.

Further back James was usually with local guides in the Alps, but in recent years he seems to be on his own more and still finding his fair share of powder. We have never skied together, and until we do it's hard to say how much our terrain choices in new territory in the Alps might diverge.

snowave wrote:TonyC - "limit shopping trips to 2-4x a week"? That's a lot, even by non-virus standards, IMO. What's up with that?

I've never been that organized about grocery shopping, plus Liz and I eat out a lot. I rarely cooked at home myself before 2020 and have probably done more this year than the rest of my life before 2020. In that regard Liz' January 8 accident provided well timed training. She obviously couldn't cook, and for 3 weeks or so she wasn't much up to going out either. Thus I cooked nearly all dinners under her supervision in January and was thus better prepared for the pandemic period, especially after Andrew moved in in early April.

March/April was still a big adjustment for grocery shopping. My usual spot, Trader Joe's, had queues lined up outside the stores, which I thought was a bad idea. For the same reason I never went to a Costco in SoCal during the lockdown. But Trader Joe's and Ralph's (Kroger's SoCal brand) both implemented senior hours early in the morning and Ralph's almost never had lines. By mid-April I figured out that the Trader Joe's line was minimized by showing up during the last 15 minutes of the senior hour, and on those trips I tried to buy 2+ weeks of supplies in one shot.

One of the weekly trips is to the local farmer's market (which is outdoors) for fresh fish, fruit and veggies. It was shut down for only first two weeks in April. I still ran out of things periodically and needed a handful of items. For those trips I took my own shopping bag to Ralph's and used the self checkout registers.

Liz is a bit more disciplined here in Florida. She refuses to go to Publix (near monopoly supermarket chain) more than once a week. We also have an excellent fish market (I can't argue with being on the East Coast for that) and some specialty stores. Two days ago we were in the area of the local Costco and thankfully it did not have a queue to get in.

snowave wrote:It took me a couple years of riding at Wolf Creek to know they (Pitchers) also own Discovery.

The patriarch is in the New Mexico Ski Hall of Fame because he founded Ski Apache and ran Santa Fe for 20 years starting in 1964. He came to Wolf Creek later in life. One son still runs Wolf Creek while another son bought Discovery out of bankruptcy in 1984 after the family left Santa Fe.

What do you not like about the way Wolf Creek is run? I have lifetime two days at Wolf Creek and one at Discovery. it's hard to argue with the results at Discovery, which is at the ends of the earth and had never been successful financially before the Pitchers.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Previous

Return to General Discussion