MMSA Zoom meeting re: winter ops during pandemic

Sierra Lady

Skier/snowboarder friends...if you are curious how MMSA will be handling the pandemic this winter, tune in to their Zoom meeting Monday, 10/19 at 5:30 p.m. Here's the info:

“The Winter Ahead Community Conversation” with MMSA, Oct. 19
A “Community Conversation with Mammoth Mountain Ski Area” is scheduled at 5:30 p.m. through Mono County and the Town of Mammoth Lakes. At this meeting, the company will be able to provide more
details to the community on how it plans to operate this ski and snowboard season. Join Mark Brownlie for a bilingual conversation on the state of the ski industry, updates on winter operations from Mammoth
Mountain and June Mountain, and an open Q&A session this Monday, Oct. 19 beginning at 5:30 p.m. Topics for this week’s community conversation include: State of the Ski Industry; Updates on Winter Operations from Mammoth Mountain and June Mountain; Community Updates.
This is your opportunity to ask questions that matter to you, your family and the business community. Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device anywhere across the entire County or community of Mammoth Lakes. This meeting is in English with a Spanish translation option. Go to https://tinyurl.com/yxt2osqr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information. Or download the Zoom app on your mobile device and use Meeting
ID #901 775 658 to ask questions during the meeting, click Raise Hand or Q&A as
seen in the graphic below. To join by telephone: Phone one-tap:
+16699006833,,901775658 or Dial (669) 900-6833, then enter Webinar ID 901 775 658

Thanks!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TADe9XWEAZg[/youtube]
Here's the max load numbers the COO discussed...

70% lodging with 24-hr room buffer

50% dining

50% bus
100% parking

Projected Opening Daze (11/14 Mammoth, 12/19 June) are more tentative than previous years cuz they will NOT do a WROD opening

no singles line

No comment re how many passes were sold. Makes strategic sense -- if, for example, Loveland/Rose/SugarBowl/etc was to go up for sale any info you share with everybody (= share with Vail/Epic) would help the competition outbid you, etc

During the first decade of the MVP passholders averaged 40% of skier visits. There was a gradual rising trend so maybe it's 45-50% now. I heard a year ago that "more Ikons were sold in SoCal for 2019-20 than for 2018-19." The COO said Ikon sales (silent on whether that meant regional or national) for 2020-21 were similar to last year. It is plausible that Ikon sales are somewhat higher than MVP due to the inclusion of other areas on the Ikon. However Mammoth is an unusual ski area in that much of its clientele doesn't ski anywhere else.

I believe MMSA thinks they can be unrestricted to passholders and be comfortable with COVID-19 at 50% capacity on the mountain. The COO mentioned the 60,000 per hour transport capacity and also the multiple parking access points. These are the factors that lead me to believe Mammoth can be manageable in 2020-21 along with MMSA tracking lodging bookings to predict attendance in advance.

Two big caveats:
1) The obvious is a COVID-19 breakout in the state or Mono County that forces Mammoth to close. I chose Ikon's single area option to hedge against that. What would Mono County going "purple/widespread tier 1" mean for the ski area? While "outdoor recreational facilities" are still "open with modifications," restaurants are as in L.A. County outdoor only, which means non-viable at Mammoth in winter. That means takeout or groceries and eating in. Retail like ski shops drop to 25% capacity.
2) Mammoth has always been an unusual area in that lift lines are worst in bad weather when upper and middle level lifts get shut down. There was some discussion of that scenario in the Webinar. I plan to keep a close eye on weather forecasts in planning Mammoth trips on short notice to avoid that situation as much as possible.

Good stuff!

BTW pictured clockwise in the embed are...

Brown: MLCA PIO/Rec Dept Head, ski coach, husband of June Mtn VP
Holler: MLCA Town Mgr
Brownlie: MMSA, formerly his industry involvement was racing I think, Scotsman
Sauser: MLCA Councilman
Urdi: ML Tourism Head, another expert skier
Boo: doctor in charge of Mono Health Dept

Glad you all found the webinar informative. Personally, I feel the beginning of the season is going to be a cluster until everyone gets used to the new system. RBS was the one who asked about pass sales and M2M asked about the new beanie billboard...LOL!

P.S. and O.T. to Tony...I am unable to log on to this site with my iPad. Cheapski couldn't get on either and said she emailed you over a week ago, but hadn't heard back.

Tony Crocker":2iz5otgv said:
Tony...I am unable to log on to this site with my iPad.
I am a moderator not the administrator. I will pass this info along, but otherwise send administration/software questions to editor@firsttracksonline.com

I am able to use FTO from my iPhone, so it's not obvious to me why an iPad would have problems.
Okay, thanks Tony, I appreciate that. I passed along that email to Cheapski, also.

P.S. I also can log on to FTO on my phone, but it's too small to post stuff.

Mono County has been placed in the Red Tier. MMSA will reduce their lodge capacity to 25%.

https://www.townofmammothlakes.ca.gov/l ... x?MID=2445

MONO COUNTY REASSIGNED TO MORE RESTRICTIVE (RED) TIER OF

STATEWIDE BLUEPRINT FOR A SAFER ECONOMY

Effective this week, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has reassigned Mono County to the more restrictive Tier 2, Substantial (Red) of the Blueprint for a Safer Economy (Blueprint), the State’s “stringent and slow plan for living with COVID-19 (Coronavirus).”

The Blueprint consists of 4 Tiers which rank a County’s current infection rate and determine what business sectors can and cannot operate. Click here for Business and Activity tiers.

“We recognize the sacrifices that have been made, and the disappointments that have been experienced throughout this difficult year,” stated Dr. Tom Boo, Mono County Public Health Officer. “The reality is that the current trend in increased cases both statewide and locally is alarming, and we MUST double-down on our efforts to reduce transmission by all means possible.”

Regression to Tier 2, Substantial (Red) applies capacity limits to several Activity and Business Tiers. To view tier level descriptions, statewide county rankings, and what activities are allowable in Mono County, please visit covid19.ca.gov or view the sector summary status below.

“We strongly urge residents, business owners, and visitors to take precautions, and remain vigilant in the fight against transmission,” continued Dr. Boo. “Recent advancements with the COVID-19 vaccination trials provide hope that there is a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel. We ask that you hang in there a while longer and do your best to protect others.”

In addition to Blueprint regression, the State has joined Washington and Oregon in issuing a statewide non-essential travel advisory. California residents are encouraged to stay home or in their region and avoid non-essential travel to other states or countries as avoiding travel can reduce the risk of getting infected and bringing the virus back to California. Persons arriving from other state or countries, including returning California residents, should practice self-quarantine for 14-days after arrival.

Details on the travel advisory can be accessed here.

Summary Status of Mono County Business Sector Operations (Effective week of Nov. 16)

Open Indoors with Modifications* (based on Industry Guidance online):

Critical Infrastructure
Open with modifications
Hair Salons and Barbershops
Open indoors with modifications
Personal Care Services
Open indoors with modifications
All Retail
Open indoors with modifications - Max. 50% of capacity
Restaurants
Open indoors with modifications - Max. 25% of capacity, or 100 people, whichever is fewer
Bars, Breweries and Distilleries
No meal provided – Closed
Meal is provided – Open with Restaurant modifications and capacity limits
Museums
Open indoors with modifications - Max. 25% of capacity
Places of Worship
Open indoors with modifications - Max. 25% of capacity, or 100 people, whichever is fewer
Movie Theaters
Hotels and Lodging
Can Open Fitness Centers - 10% of capacity
Indoor Pools Closed
Public Health Order (Aug. 11, 2020) for Town of Mammoth Lakes in effect
Gyms and Fitness Centers
Max 10% of capacity
Indoor Pools Closed
Family Entertainment Centers (including Bowling Alleys & Climbing Walls)
Outdoor Only with modifications
*County Health Orders supersede State guidelines when and if they are stricter than the State. Business operators are required to adhere to current County Health Officer Orders and Interim Business Guidelines published under ‘Directives’ online at: MonoHealth.com/Coronavirus.

The California Department of Public Health recognizes that COVID-19 will be with us for a long time and that we all need to adapt and live differently to get through this.

All Mono County residents and visitors are asked to do their part to #StaySafeToStayOpen. This is more than a hashtag – it needs to become a way of life.

Additional information regarding the Blueprint for a Safer Economy is available online or by visiting the Mono County COVID-19 Portal in English or Spanish.

Cover. Distance. Wash and #StaySafeToStayOpen!

My reading of the tier guidelines is that even if Mono County moves to the purple tier, the ski area will remain open. However all indoor dining is banned for that tier, which is working for some places in L.A. but obviously won't during ski season at Mammoth. So look to stay in condos with kitchen facilities,which is how Garry likes to handle Mammoth trips anyway.

The current storm is just brushing Mammoth while expected to drop 2+ feet at the higher elevations at Tahoe. This is not an uncommon pattern with La Nina, but let's hope it does not recur too often this winter.

The natural snowpack is far from what it would take for us to go to Mammoth. We might take a daytrip to Big Bear in early December after we get home from Florida.

Tony, indoor dining is NOT banned from the Red Tier here in Mono County/Mammoth, but occupancy in restaurants IS cut down to only 25% capacity.

Here is MMSA's new Mask Violation Policy which Joani Lynch announced at last week's Community Covid Update Zoom meeting. It's on their website: https://www.mammothmountain.com/covid

Mask Violation Policy

In an effort to keep all guests and employees safe during the current COVID-19 pandemic we have implemented a strict mask violation policy with clear expectations and policies. Masks or face coverings must be a minimum of two layers.

Perforated, ventilated, and thin, single-layer neck gaiter style face coverings will not be allowed.

First documented warning:

You will receive a verbal education on our mask policy and are encouraged to "Stay Safe to Stay Open." This is your only warning and will be documented in your pass or ticket profile.
If you fail to comply with our mask policy the employee on site has the authority to revoke your riding privileges.

Second documented warning:

Repeat offenders or those who offer resistance to education will have their riding privileges suspended.
Ikon Pass holders will have their pass suspended for a minimum of 7 days.
Multi day ticket holders will receive a minimum 24-hour suspension.
Single day ticket holders will have their ticket revoked.

Third documented warning:

Ikon Pass holders will have their pass suspended for the remainder of the season.
Single and multi-day ticket holders will lose their riding privileges for the remainder of the season.
These policies have been implemented for the safety of all those enjoying the resort and are an important part of our pledge to "Stay Safe to Stay Open."

Sheet sez somebody already lost their pass LOL...
https://thesheetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Sheet_11212020.pdf#page=11

It just boggles the mind. 99% sure they woulda had their mask around their neck or in their pocket. "Nobody tells me what to do"...I guess we see that nonsense even on some ski forums LOL [...looks around for kook writings...]. As if the running back shouldn't let the quarterback tell him what to do, or the private shouldn't let the sergeant tell him what to do so we can win the game/war/etc.

Sierra Lady":2jcdwukd said:
Tony, indoor dining is NOT banned from the Red Tier here in Mono County/Mammoth, but occupancy in restaurants IS cut down to only 25% capacity.
I know that Red Tier is 25%, but the trend is not good so people should be prepared how to keep skiing Mammoth under Purple Tier regulations.

I'm quite sympathetic to businesses closed/restricted and employees laid off. Mask wearing is a modest inconvenience which will help more of those businesses, potentially including ski areas, stay open.

Mono County is shown here moving into the purple tier Dec. 1.
I got takeout breakfast from The Stove yesterday and noticed a couple of diners inside. I wonder how soon Mammoth's restaurants will all be restricted to takeout?

I have heard from several people that outdoor dining is allowed in Pasadena by its independent health department.

Between Sept. 15 and Oct. 30 we dined in person outdoors six times. But our restaurant patronage at home will remain takeout for the foreseeable future. It's summer in Argentina so hopefully we can dine outside during our week there.

Tony Crocker":2fvelbeq said:
Mono County is shown here moving into the purple tier Dec. 1.
I got takeout breakfast from The Stove yesterday and noticed a couple of diners inside. I wonder how soon Mammoth's restaurants will all be restricted to takeout?

I have heard from several people that outdoor dining is allowed in Pasadena by its independent health department.

Between Sept. 15 and Oct. 30 we dined in person outdoors six times. But our restaurant patronage at home will remain takeout for the foreseeable future. It's summer in Argentina so hopefully we can dine outside during our week there.

Just curious, you won’t eat outside at a restaurant but you’ll go to South America and fly across the country?

Feels like LAs stay at home order from last week which left tattoo parlors open, indoors but closed playgrounds. I think everyone’s concerns are so arbitrarily that it’s hard to see how these restrictions can possibly work.

We have friends who haven’t gone to a store or even grocery shopped since March. They leave their mail in the garage for days. But they have a nanny and a housekeeper in their house 5 days a week...sanity has not prevailed.

socal":3exvtoe9 said:
Just curious, you won’t eat outside at a restaurant but you’ll go to South America and fly across the country?
We did not have choice about the recent Florida trip as Liz' mother's primary caretaker wanted some time off. On fly days we are wearing both KN95 masks and plastic face shields per Al Solish recommendation.It makes sense to minimize risk this week so we will be admitted into Argentina.

Outdoor dining was banned by L.A. County last week and is further banned by the state for all of Southern California effective tomorrow. So the reality is I don't expect any in person restaurant dining at home to be available in December, just as it was not in April/May. After the holidays we will hit the road for skiing and I think it will be prudent to eat takeout wherever possible. Outdoor dinners in winter are unlikely to be viable in ski country and do you really want to dine indoors in say, Utah, Idaho, Montana at the current level of infection in those states?

Posted at 9:25 a.m. on 12/8 (moderator has not changed the time stamp on the forum yet.)

Here is the official TOML press release:

12/5/2020 1:22:49 PM Email Subject: MONO COUNTY PLACED UNDER REGIONAL STAY-AT-HOME ORDER

Effective Sunday, December 6 at 11:59 p.m., Mono County (as part of the Southern California Region) will be formally placed under the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Regional Stay-At-Home Order (Order).

The Order, which will be in effect for a minimum of three weeks, prohibits private gatherings of any size, and closes sector operations except for critical infrastructure and retail in an effort to limit the transmission and spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

Governor Gavin Newsom is taking immediate actions to prevent an unprecedented surge in the level of community spread of COVID-19 that continues to increase dramatically every day, throughout Mono County and the State of California. New hospital admissions continue to escalate, with current projections estimating that without additional intervention to slow the spread of COVID-19 the number of available adult ICU beds within the State of California will be at capacity by mid-December.

Locally, we have seen an increase of 50% in positive COVID-19 cases week-over-week within the previous two-week period, and our current positivity rate is 29%.

In addition to the Order, the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) managing COVID-19 response in Mono County is evaluating additional local guidance to more acutely address the unique circumstances and issues within our county, including tourism and lodging. Details on additional guidance will be shared as soon as possible.

The Regional Stay-At-Home Order applies to Regions where the adult ICU bed capacity falls below 15%. Mono County is assigned to the Southern California Region. As of December 5, ICU capacity for the Southern California Region fell to 13.1%, triggering the Order.

The Regional Stay-At-Home Order will remain in effect for at least 3 weeks. After that period, the Order will be lifted when regional available adult ICU bed capacity is greater than or equal to 15%, and is projected to remain above that level for the subsequent four weeks. At the end of the Stay-At-Home period, each county within the Region will be assigned to a tier based on the Blueprint for a Safer Economy.

“It is not the status of Mammoth Hospital alone that determines when the Order goes into effect, rather, it is the status of all the hospitals within the region,” stated Tom Parker, Mammoth Hospital Chief Operating Officer. “At this point, the entire state is approaching a critical capacity shortage and there is no recourse to petition regional assignments.”

The new Regional Stay-At-Home order supersedes the current County restrictions of the purple tier (widespread transmission) of the Blueprint for a Safer Economy.

Effective December 6 (Sunday) at 11:59PM the following sectors must close:

Indoor and outdoor playgrounds
Indoor recreational facilities
Hair salons and barbershops
Personal care services
Museums, zoos, and aquariums
Movie theaters
Wineries
Bars, breweries, and distilleries
Family entertainment centers
Cardrooms and satellite wagering
Limited services
Live audience sports
Amusement parks

The following sectors now have additional modifications, in addition to 100% masking and physical distancing:

Outdoor recreational facilities: Allow outdoor operation only without any food, drink or alcohol sales. Additionally, overnight stays at campgrounds will not be permitted.
Retail: Allow indoor operation at 20% capacity with entrance metering and no eating or drinking in the stores. Additionally, special hours should be instituted for seniors and others with chronic conditions or compromised immune systems.
Shopping centers: Allow indoor operation at 20% capacity with entrance metering and no eating or drinking in the stores. Additionally, special hours should be instituted for seniors and others with chronic conditions or compromised immune systems.
Hotels and lodging: Allow to open for critical infrastructure support or for reservations from out-of-state residents that are for a period of time for at least the duration of the quarantine period where the guest will quarantine in the facility for the entire period only.
Restaurants: Allow only for take-out, pick-up, or delivery.
Offices: Allow remote only except for critical infrastructure sectors where remote working is not possible.
Places of worship and political expression: Allow outdoor services only.
Entertainment production including professional sports: Allow operation without live audiences. Additionally, testing protocol and “bubbles” are highly encouraged.

The following sectors are allowed to remain open when a remote option is not possible with appropriate infectious disease preventative measures, including 100% masking and physical distancing: critical infrastructure, schools, non-urgent medical and dental care, and child-care and pre-K.

The Regional Stay-At-Home Order temporarily restricts all non-essential travel statewide, but allows access to (and travel for) critical services and allows outdoor activities to preserve Californian’s physical and mental health. Californians are encouraged to keep connected with loved ones virtually, and to get outdoors and recreate!

Details on the CDPH’s Regional Stay-At-Home Order can be accessed here.

All Mono County residents and visitors are asked to do their part to #StaySafeToStayOpen.

This is more than a hashtag – it needs to become a way of life.

Additional information regarding the Blueprint for a Safer Economy is available online or by visiting the Mono County COVID-19 Portal in English or Spanish.

Cover. Distance. Wash and #StaySafeToStayOpen!

Outdoor recreational facilities: Allow outdoor operation only without any food, drink or alcohol sales. Additionally, overnight stays at campgrounds will not be permitted.

Restaurants: Allow only for take-out, pick-up, or delivery.
Yodler?

Back