Image attachment size restrictions lifted

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think that I've finally solved the issue with image upload size restrictions for all users. I've tested this fix by assuming permissions of a regular registered user and it allowed me to upload a 3.9 MB image file with dimensions of 4032x3024 pixels, which the board correctly thumbnailed to an appropriate size to display inline.

Users are welcome to test the new permissions and report back here. Thank you.

Pictures uploaded from Forks of the Kern were occasionally rejected and occasionally accepted by FTO with no discernable pattern.

I did not have to resize below the ~2,000 pixel range I had selected, but it still took multiple tries to get the job done.

Precisely what does "occasionally rejected and occasionally accepted" mean? Did you get an error message? If so, what did it say?

If you try to upload too much at once, it can overwhelm either your browser's cache memory or the server's PHP, and the forum will reload your post with the text window all blank. That has happened to me when trying to upload a large 40-50 MP panorama, for example, or multiple large images at once. If that happens a single click of your browser's back button should restore your text - that has always worked for me. I then need to resize that large Panorama or upload photos one at a time to get the job done.

It never gives me an error message. It just spends a minute or so as if it's uploading, then returns the previous screen with nothing uploaded.

My strategy if the upload rejects say, 10 pictures, is to cut back to 5, then one or two. In this case it was still rejecting 4-5 pictures and once it not only rejected the ones I was loading but deleted the prior batch of 3 pics.

admin":z8wj18gr said:
If you try to upload too much at once, it can overwhelm either your browser's cache memory or the server's PHP, and the forum will reload your post with the text window all blank.
I'm sure that's the problem. When I cut the pro photographer pictures down to 2000 pixel width, file size was still 1.4-1.7MB. So no surprise FTO choked when I tried to load too many of those at once. 2000 pixel width pics on my or Liz' camera are only ~500KB, so multiple pics do not seem to be an issue there.

admin":z8wj18gr said:
a single click of your browser's back button
I avoid using the back button on FTO as I've lost posts and had to start over all too many times. That's why I generally write lengthy posts offline now, load the narrative first, then start loading pics. When FTO or travel WiFi blows up during the picture loading process I may have to reload pics but at least I don't have to do a rewrite from scratch.

Tony Crocker":3kfuzep2 said:
It never gives me an error message. It just spends a minute or so as if it's uploading, then returns the previous screen with nothing uploaded.

Your browser's status bar should give you a real-time upload status as a percentage.

Dolio":24zgcp2z said:
Marc_C":24zgcp2z said:
From our remarkably similar Oregon coast trip in December 2015.
Note the dimensions and file size in the caption.

Woah, 6000x4000 that's awesome, how did you get it so big anyway. What camera are you using?
Nikon D5200. 24.1 M-pixel

Back