Northeast lift ticket Deals?

gpaulski

Hello!

I want to take my son to New England and Quebec, his first time to this region. Sometime between 12/22-1/22, 12 days.

Any suggestion on General ski packages, or would it be better to book with each mountain individually?

Stowe, Killington, Wildcat, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Stoneham +/-.

Thank you!

What grade is he in? There are many programs for children in Grade 5 or 6. Ski canada has a grade 5-6 passport and NYS has a similar program.

Killington, Sunday river and Sugarloaf are all on the Ikon Pass. The pass would only be worth the cost 750$ cost if you use it enough. Tremblant is on it too. Many resorts offer lift and lodging packages.

Good to see @gpaulski is back after a nearly 6 year absence, but are you sure you want to book a trip to ski the East more than a couple of days in advance? (I'm assuming you are not going to be in area anyway.) You may want to read @TonyCrocker's reports from (early) last Dec. and his season progress reports for Dec. last year on his website. Conditions looked good for him then rain closed a lot of terrain just before his arrival and it rained again just before the holidays.

And if you are planning to ski Zoo week (between Christmas and New Year's), you need the Full Ikon Pass (not the Base) which is now $1,049 for 23 and over and $779 for 13-22 year-olds. Last year, Ikon's first season, they did offer pass through Costco with $100-200 in gift cards for purchase but you can't count on them doing that again.

They are all on the first page of http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... um.php?f=2 which is where gpaulski's inquiry is posted. He didn't look very hard. I am the listed first poster for Dec. 4 Killington, Dec. 5 Sunday River and Dec. 6 Sugarbush. James is the listed first poster for Stratton Dec. 2-3. In addition, some of the TR's from my 2003 March Northeast trip are also on that first page because I added scanned film pictures to them within the past year.

Tseeb is perhaps not familiar with gpaulski's history here from 2005-2013. He is infamous for soliciting advice from knowledgeable skiers and than ignoring nearly all of it. Since his inquiry here was just about lift tickets, I left it alone as I presume everyone knows about Epic and Ikon. Ikon includes Stratton, Sugarbush, Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Tremblant. Epic includes Stowe, Okemo and Sunapee. If the Peaks Resorts deal goes through, Epic will also include Hunter, Mt. Snow, Attitash and Wildcat. As for any other lift ticket deals, I'll leave that to the easterners.

Now that tseeb took the bait first, I'll add a few observations. At any time of year the odds of awful conditions in the Northeast are at least 1/4, and you won't know until less than a week in advance because rain is the major culprit in degrading conditions abruptly. Thus the eastern skiers who enjoy the best quality are those who are flexible in their timing, which means those who live within drive distance and don't have to book air travel and lodging in advance.

The earlier you go before mid-January the higher the odds of disaster will be above that 1/4 because coverage may be inadequate due to not enough cumulative snowfall or cold days for snowmaking. Ironically my trip last year, which was for a media event, followed perhaps the best November in the history of the Northeast. But it rained steadily my first day Dec. 2, slashing open terrain by at least half.

I did find that trip informative. Two days later at Killington it was 11F and I was very impressed by the excellent restoration of many runs by snowmaking and grooming, though all ungroomed skiing was closed due to bulletproof conditions. But that was a Tuesday and obviously very quiet. If there had been any serious crowd those groomers would have been quickly scraped down to frozen granular. So my insight is that Northeast ski quality is unusually sensitive to skier density.

Since gpaulski's stated dates are 12 days between 12/22-1/22, those ski dates should start no earlier than 1/5. That allows maximum time for both natural and manmade snow to accumulate and avoids crowds, holiday blackouts and higher prices for lodging as well as tickets. And realize that as in my case last year you still have a significant chance of being screwed by the weather at the last minute.

The Ikon Pass, with its latest addition of Arapahoe Basin in Colorado and Zermatt in Switzerland, will increase in price on October 17, 2019.

Skiers and riders will save $50 when they purchase their adult Ikon Pass before October 17, 2019. From a week-long vacation to unlimited days, seek the unique with the Ikon Pass at 41 destinations, in 12 states, four Canadian provinces, on five continents.

IKON PASS: Offers unlimited access to 14 destinations and 7-days or 7-days combined at 26 destinations, with zero blackout dates.

Pricing Before October 17, 2019

Adult = $1,049
Young Adult (13-22 years) = $779
Child (5-12 years) = $399
4 & Under = $49 – no price increase

Pricing as of October 17, 2019
Adult = $1,099
Young Adult (13-22 years) = $859
Child (5-12 years) = $459

IKON BASE PASS: Offers unlimited access to 12 destinations and 5-days or 5-days combined at 28 destinations, with 10 blackout dates.

Pricing Before October 17, 2019
Adult = $749
Young Adult (13-22 years) = $559
Child (5-12 years) = $359

Pricing as of October 17, 2019
Adult = $799
Young Adult = $639 (13-22 years)
Child = $419 (5-12 years)

Tony Crocker":1oyvef76 said:
They are all on the first page of http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... um.php?f=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is where gpaulski's inquiry is posted. He didn't look very hard. I am the listed first poster for Dec. 4 Killington, Dec. 5 Sunday River and Dec. 6 Sugarbush. James is the listed first poster for Stratton Dec. 2-3. In addition, some of the TR's from my 2003 March Northeast trip are also on that first page because I added scanned film pictures to them within the past year.
tseeb specifically said on your site:
tseeb":1oyvef76 said:
You may want to read @TonyCrocker's reports from (early) last Dec. and his season progress reports for Dec. last year on his website

Back