Vermont Quarantine

ChrisC

"...last week, Gov. Phil Scott announced newly tightened quarantine rules for anyone visiting the state. They either had to commit to a 14-day quarantine upon arrival, or a quarantine of seven days (at home or in state) followed by a negative Covid-19 test."

Vermont’s Ski Season, on the Brink
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/19/trav ... ntine.html

Are people really going to follow this? Seems excessive.

This summer I went to Massachusetts - Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard - and had to get a negative COVID test as required starting August 1. Seemed reasonable enough. However, no one checked me for compliance after landing in Hyannis - meanwhile my flight into NYC was greeted by 5 public health officials.

What is Vermont going to do - look at license plates in parking lots?

On Oct. 22 I attended a NASJA Zoom meeting where one of the presenters was from Ski Vermont. Vermont wanted 14-day quarantining based upon any county of origin on this map that is not green:
file.php

That map was from Oct. 23 but now it's 100% red aside from two yellow counties in Vermont and Maine. Accordingly, Vermont has now strengthened its quarantine to apply to everyone out-of-state.

Someone at the NASJA Zoom asked about enforcement, and the Vermont rep suggested that it would be via lodging registrations. So I'll advise those planning to ski Vermont in 2020-21 to be ready for some long daytrips.

ChrisC":3ffrpk0h said:
"...last week, Gov. Phil Scott announced newly tightened quarantine rules for anyone visiting the state. They either had to commit to a 14-day quarantine upon arrival, or a quarantine of seven days (at home or in state) followed by a negative Covid-19 test."

Vermont’s Ski Season, on the Brink
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/19/trav ... ntine.html";

Are people really going to follow this? Seems excessive.

Tony Crocker":3ffrpk0h said:
So I'll advise those planning to ski Vermont in 2020-21 to be ready for some long daytrips.

Actually, the ski areas themselves are required to to make visitors "attest," at ticket sales, that they have followed the COVID protocols, specifically quarantining for 14 days (or 7 days, followed by negative PCR test) and then driving (not flying or taking a bus) straight to Vermont.

Here's the original source (look at pp. 9-11): https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/ ... -11-03.pdf";

These are some very hardcore guidelines. Visitors will also be required to provide full contact tracing information. Chairlifts will be loaded at 50% capacity unless all are members of the same household. 6 ft distances will be expected in lift lines. Lodges will be limited to 50% fire occupancy or 75 persons, whichever number is less. There is much more.

Vermont reported 51 cases yesterday. Historically Vermont is not just a destination for people from all over the Northeast during the winter, but also during the summer and fall color season. I've no doubt the warmer weather during those seasons really helped the state keeps its case counts down, but still, from a purely public-health perspective, the state's COVID response to date must have done some things pretty right.

I'm sure Vermont is proud of its best in the US Covid performance and trying to stay that way.

I'm also sure "attesting" at ticket sales will not be an obstacle, because few ticket sales will be at the window. The ski areas don't want people at the window; they want them to be RFID direct to lift, which will be true for most Ikon and Epic skiers.

This is the interesting paragraph:
Resorts must collect the name, phone number, and email address in an electronic format of all people using the resort each day, and retain the list for 30 days for the purposes of contact tracing. This list must include all guests using the resort, including season pass holders.Whenever possible, the resort should include the guest’s physical address.
For an Epic or Ikon passholder, the resort via RFID already has this information. This is likely true for any reserved day ticket bought online too. I'm guessing resorts will not have a sign-in queue before people get on the mountain, or be hunting people down with suspicious addresses.

I think that Ski Vermont rep had it right in October; the likely enforcement will be via lodging registrations. I'm guessing some hotels just across the border may do well this season.

Vermont is known to have weather vicious enough to drive people inside for thaw breaks. It's probably a good idea to avoid those days at least as much as I will at Mammoth.

Back