Heading up to Jay Peak on the 19th to the 25th

Mr. Danger

Well, I am new, and live around the Philadelphia area in PA. I never been to Vermont, and hopefully it will be good. But according to their website they only have 7 trails open. Thats less then at Blue Mt. in Allentown.

I am VERY worried and concerned about the conditions and lack of snow. This board seems to know alot about Jay Peak.

Can anyone give me some insight? Do they make ANY snow on the mountain?

Mr. Danger. I'll give you my two cents. In the interest of full disclousre, I work at the Mtn as a marketing plebe, so verification of my thoughts should be in order.

Right now? Chairs are coming down from the top of Stateside covered in snow. A good thing. Forecasters are calling for (now I may get strung up by my thumbs for offering this, but nonetheless) 1-2" overnight with the outside possibility of 2-4".

While I can't speak for Blue Mtn, we do make a fair bit of snow, and snowmaking is scheduled to resume later tonight/early tomorrow morning and will focus on getting some upper-mtn stuff ready to go. Our HSD Quad chair, The Green Mtn Flyer, opens Saturday and we hope to have just about everything going ('cept maybe the Bonnie) by a few days before Christmas. This is predicated on snowmaking and the possibility of a little natural.

I'm not sure if I've answered your questions, but that's what I have.

steve

Mr. Danger":9fnki9zq said:
Well, I am new, and live around the Philadelphia area in PA. I never been to Vermont, and hopefully it will be good. But according to their website they only have 7 trails open. Thats less then at Blue Mt. in Allentown.

I am VERY worried and concerned about the conditions and lack of snow. This board seems to know alot about Jay Peak.

Can anyone give me some insight? Do they make ANY snow on the mountain?

So is it worth it for me to even go for the trip? Will the be more trails open by the 20th, because I don't get there till midnight on the 19th.

I would really like to have a GOOD experience for the first time up there, and, I would like you to HONESTLY tell me the truth, is it worth it? And is there going to be more trails?

My two cents...the week after next will probably be better than next week. Can you change your dates?

Mark

Mr. Danger":fw3kof7m said:
So is it worth it for me to even go for the trip? Will the be more trails open by the 20th, because I don't get there till midnight on the 19th.

I would really like to have a GOOD experience for the first time up there, and, I would like you to HONESTLY tell me the truth, is it worth it? And is there going to be more trails?

Define GOOD?

If you mean good vertical with trails open and good groomers, the Jet will be operationnal. The mountain is white with natural stuff. Not enough to open the glades yet... I don't think they'll open before Xmas... So no "big powder" until then...

However, if your intension is to see some real snow and be able to cruise on grommer trails and some occasionnal bumps (on the Jet), then you'll enjoy yourself.

Should you avoid the trip altogether, i don't think so... but don't think you'll be having the "west experience out east" of fully operationnal Jay Peak... We'll have to wait a bit for that... Reschedule the week after if you can... Weather should resume to normal (or better) by then...

Are you making the trip with family? Die-hard skiers? Experienced skiers?

Also, you can forget about a snowpark... There should be a mini-park with a few rails... but that's it...

I wish I could change the dates, but I can't because our friends rented out a pretty good sized lodge for 50 people. I will get a link/name of the lodge.

EDIT:

I just want to ski MORE than 8 trails. All I want to really know is how many trails will there be open between the 20th-25th?

EDIT:

I want to also ski some very long blue trails. I think it was number 52 or 62, the last trail on the right. Will that one be open?

Mr. Danger:

1. There's nothing good right now in the East, period. Jay or anywhere else.

2. Nobody's got a crystal ball. It's impossible to tell anyone what trails will be open next week, especially with the volatile weather currently in New England.

If you're committed, go on the trip and enjoy whatever's available. It's darned near miraculous that there's any skiing at all in New England right now.

Mr. D--blend Big Jay and the Admin post and you have the perfect response. If I go out ona limb and list a number, it's a losing proposition for me. I can say that things will look better on the 20th then they do right now. By how much, is a matter of speculation.

Admin":2b8myoee said:
Mr. Danger:

1. There's nothing good right now in the East, period. Jay or anywhere else.

2. Nobody's got a crystal ball. It's impossible to tell anyone what trails will be open next week, especially with the volatile weather currently in New England.

If you're committed, go on the trip and enjoy whatever's available. It's darned near miraculous that there's any skiing at all in New England right now.

But I don't want to be upset. Is that long trail number 64 open? Or will it be open?

I want to ski VERY LONG TRAILS! If I'm not satisfied, then I am going to Killington. I don't care if its 3 hours away, I will go there since there are 42 trails open.

I just want a simple answer, will there be more trails open by the 20th? I want a number in that answer. Thank you

EDIT:

Which trails are open as of now? I can't seem to find it on the website.

First I":3qg0jy6l said:
I give up.

Then

Mr. Danger":3qg0jy6l said:
I just want a simple answer, will there be more trails open by the 20th? I want a number in that answer.

Oh, what the hell...guess I'll be the one to say what Steve can't:

Danger, what you fail to recognize is that you're asking for a simple answer to a question for which there is no simple answer.

Skiing is a sport that we enjoy at the benevolence of Mother Nature. Snowmaking has helped over the years to soften that harsh reality, but even that can't help during warm and humid periods like New England has experienced for most of this early season.

Your question is akin to asking a farmer in March precisely what his corn crop output will be in August. He may have a good growing season, but he may also experience torrential rains, parching drought, tornadoes, or even locusts, all of which can dramatically affect his output. Operating a ski resort is no less weather-dependent than farming.

Look at the weather discussions from the experts right now, on easternwx.com or any other professional weather forum. Scott will be piping up here once he gets some other more pressing obligations out of the way. Even the models disagree. Whether next week's system comes up the coast or heads for the Great Lakes is anybody's guess, and both will influence the answer to your question for good or bad, respectively.

So, I'm afraid that no one will be able to answer your question. Frankly, anyone who does with any degree of certainty will be either lying or bluffing. If you can't accept that reality, maybe it's time to take up bowling instead.

Marc , this is to much , funny you would say bowling . That is just what I told the kids we will be doing. :wink: Well time for another Guinness as no chance of fresh powder tomorrow.

Anthony":3fpjqzqc said:
Marc , this is to much , funny you would say bowling . That is just what I told the kids we will be doing. :wink: Well time for another Guinness as no chance of fresh powder tomorrow.

Mmmmm...Guinness...

You just reminded me that I need to make a trip to my fridge.

danger... you are not going to get a simple yes/no answer to that question from any one that is worth their answer. in other words, if someone does give you a yes/no answer to that quesiton, you should question the merits of the person providing the answer.

that said, temps are predicted to get somewhat lower next week, very likely low enough to allow snow making to continue expanding trail count. don't get too excited though, as mentioned before, the entire east coast is up the creek right now, and the creek isn't even close to freezing over.

when you come up, bring your skis and bring low expectations and i guarantee you'll enjoy your experience. get your hopes up and i doubt very much you'll have a good time.

Admin":3gl9tm44 said:
Mmmmm...Guinness...

You just reminded me that I need to make a trip to my fridge.

Can you get one for me too? :shock: (can you find Guinness in Utah? :wink: )

Don't say this to Tony, but If this weather is more and more frequent in the future I might consider moving out West myself. :lol:

As for Mr. Danger, everyone here is pretty knowledgeable about skiing, yet none of us than tell you what the weather will be like in one week from now. There are too many variables at play right now. I beat you Killington cannot give you a guarentee you a number of trails they will have open next week.

My guess if that number should be higher by the time you get here, how much higher? I don't know. Am I sure? No.

Even the number of trails open at Ste-Anne (near Quebec City) have been dropping all week and it's been a few degrees colder up there. They were over 20 trails this weekend.

What trails do they have open right now? Any long trails?

What percentage do they have snowmaking? Do they have snow making capabilities 100% on all trails? Or just a few. Thats what I would like to know.

EDIT:

This GFS model is bringing me hope for some good ole' natural snow to Jay Peak and even Blue Mountain! :p

gfs1215a.gif

The blue is the snow, and its dipping EVEN farther north. My family and I might be snowed in at Jay peak. Then I won't get training in for a cashier position at the local super market :roll:

According to Jay's snow report, they're focusssing on Ullr's Dream for snowmaking... so your "big long one" should be open pretty soon...

After the Ullr is done, they move to the "long" northway... Then, you'll have all kinds of long groomers to enjoy!

Have fun up at Jay!

Mr Danger, sounds like you might have some high expectations, you might as well stick to Killington. I've heard they have some snow making and lots of long, boring blue trails. Jay is one of the best mountains in VT, if you really care about the conditions go west, Utah is sick right now. Other than that, you'll just have to wait like the rest of us. If I were you, I'd go to jay, buy a couple growlers of Rock Art Ridge Runner and have fun with my friends, it can only get better from here (hopefully).

Back