Killington, VT 10/26/99

Matt Duffy

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 10/27/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Butter. All the same trails as reported in the 25OCT posts, covered with butter. The temperature was a little above freezing up there today, so there was no artillery blasted out from the guns. They were still and silent as the trails were becoming ever softer. I didn't spot any real mogul lines until late in the day on the right side of Lower Rime, so I assume yesterdays poetry was erased by the groomers. Today started with a clean sheet to write on. My pencils were the $75 Salomons I escaped with at the CHS swap. They seemed great, but then the snow today probably could've made anything feel that way. <BR> <BR>It was really easy to sink edges and make clean cuts, yet firm enough to hold that edge at speed and milk the turn to it's max. And there were glades too. Well, sort of, if you use your imagination. <BR> <BR>They were trickier than most glades in that the "trees" were not stationary. They would zig-zag back and forth across the trail, often barely avoiding collisions with each other. They were moving down the trail too. Some fast, some slow, some with two "roots", some with just one. Picking a line in this shooting gallery was sometimes very unpredictable. One run, Double Dipper would be thickly "gladed", and next run, the "glades" were gone! Weird... (Okay, okay, when your skiing on a trail thats littered with people swarming like bees, you gotta make it fun somehow! Just pretend they're trees. Moving trees. Picture Wizard of Oz, only the trees have skis,and they don't throw apples at you.) <BR> <BR>Soooo.... back to reality for a minute. People had built several decent jumps, so with the soft snow I decided to see what manuvers I could remember. I found out that the one I remember best is the "Rag Doll". I'm still pretty good at that one. :eek: <BR> <BR>After reading Jerms post, I realize that the lower part of the mountain has lost some snow already. The thinnest of it just barely reached the bottom of the Canyon Lift (I think thats it- the one being used to download). The cover under this lift was perhaps enough to ski, but only on skis that I left at home. Good thing I brought my headphones to listen to on <BR>the way down. That's a loooong ride. <BR> <BR>It was really nice to see the trees up top covered in snow. The look and feel of winter is really up there right now. I had an excellent time with it, but I think it was only a very small taste of what is to come.

Back