The *real* Alta trail map

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
For those with more than a passing curiosity about the places I often name in my Alta reports, they're now publishing a poster-sized satellite photo with Alta's "prominent landmarks" identified:

alta_map_full.jpg

When viewed full-size (i.e., clicking on the image, then clicking it again) you can read *most* of the names, although some of Wildcat gets blurry.

I'll mark this topic as a sticky to serve as a reference.

Those who would like their own copy of either the Alta or Snowbird version (I have both framed and hanging in my bar, actually) can purchase them online for $24.95 each:
http://www.powdershots.com/additional.php?category=24
or at the mountain in Alta Ski Shop.

But, but, but..... you're giving away all our ninja stash secrets!!! Now how are we going to confuse visitors on lift rides with names that aren't on the tourist trail map??

Seriously though, I'm happy to see this. Since it's based on the Patrol map, it corrects a lot of the glaring errors in the (highly opinionated, occasionally incorrect*, peppered with key omissions, and often pompous) Brad Assmus book (Powderhounds Guide to Alta). Glich and Glatch are now rightfully and forever Itchy and Scratchy (much better names anyway!).

*eg: what he calls Supreme Bowl is not what the rest of the Alta world calls Supreme Bowl. This is but one example.

One thing missing from that map are the names of some of the various control gates. The Snowbird map does a slightly better job at that, although it doesn't mark all of them. Also, the Alta map is not without error. (Carefully examine the Snowbird/Alta boundary to the north of the Baldy cliffs.)

Mine is hanging in our hallway next to the Snowbird version.

Marc_C":25jn5llu said:
But, but, but..... you're giving away all our ninja stash secrets!!! Now how are we going to confuse visitors on lift rides with names that aren't on the tourist trail map??

Seriously though, I'm happy to see this. Since it's based on the Patrol map, it corrects a lot of the glaring errors in the (highly opinionated, occasionally incorrect*, peppered with key omissions, and often pompous) Brad Assmus book (Powderhounds Guide to Alta). Glich and Glatch are now rightfully and forever Itchy and Scratchy (much better names anyway!).

*eg: what he calls Supreme Bowl is not what the rest of the Alta world calls Supreme Bowl. This is but one example.

One thing missing from that map are the names of some of the various control gates. The Snowbird map does a slightly better job at that, although it doesn't mark all of them. Also, the Alta map is not without error. (Carefully examine the Snowbird/Alta boundary to the north of the Baldy cliffs.)

Mine is hanging in our hallway next to the Snowbird version.

Thanks for the map dude,I am also really happy to see this. And since it's based on Patrol map, I know that it is good to use. :-D

otisdelarosa":223heqor said:
And since it's based on Patrol map, I know that it is good to use. :-D
What does that even mean? The regular trail map they hand out at the ticket window is just as "...good to use." The only thing the Patrol map adds are the terrain/topographic names that are not on the regular map.

Anybody know where I can buy this map? The original link is now broken and I couldn't find it at the Alta Ski Shop.

I just moved to SLC and really want this poster to help cover my bare walls.

Thanks!

Welcome to the neighborhood, and welcome to FTO Liftlines!

I haven't looked for it this season. In addition to Alta Ski Shop, check with Powder Shots on the second floor of Snowbird Center, although they might have just the Snowbird one. At the main Alta Ski Shop next to the Collins ticket windows, go in and ask for Sara. She is familiar with this poster and may be able to point you in the right direction.

I just walked up to my office to check the print hanging on the wall. Surprisingly, there is no publisher identified anywhere on it.

Back