Castle Mt., AB, Feb. 27-28, 2020

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
As on Wednesday at Fernie, high temps at Castle’s base were around freezing but the snow remained packed powder. The morning was completely overcast. There were sunny breaks after lunch but erratic winds swirled around the upper mountain, often in your face regardless of the direction you were going.

The 9 inches or so of new snow early in the week was mostly packed irregularly by the wind. The less smooth surface was not great for tseeb’s back so as at Fernie Wednesday he spent most of the day Thursday on groomers. We warmed up with one run on the Haig chair, then groomed Bandito and ungroomed Tamarack Bowl. I then skied Drifter, view about 2/3 of the way down.
IMG_5614.JPG

The snow below me became more chopped so I skied in the skier packed gully to the Cinch Traverse.

I rejoined Tseeb and the next run up top was Showboat.
IMG_5618.JPG

Then we tested the north side where Tseeb skied groomed High Noon and I skied Siwash, ungroomed for its upper half. Siwash snow was soft chopped powder but had less wind effect than on the center and south sides.

After lunch with the wind picking up I decided to push into the south chutes to see if the wind was smoothing out the snow. The traverse into the wind was tough, and I was happy to try the first chute Lone Star, somewhat tilted leeward of that wind. Windbuff development was in process so the steep upper 2/3 of Lone Star was the smoothest snow I skied Thursday. Lower down it was chunky, so it was easier at the very bottom to ski mellow untracked even though it was dense.

After a cruise under the blue chair I took my last run out far to the north boundary. View down the valley towards Beaver Mines.
IMG_5622.JPG

View down Double Exposure, the run I skied up high to North Bowl lower down.
IMG_5623.JPG

View south across the ski area, with base and parking lot at center left:
IMG_5625.JPG

The hotel is on the far side of the parking lot. I finished with 21,400 vertical.

Friday morning both Tseeb and I woke up with back pain. His loosened up more, allowing him to return to ungroomed skiing. Mine was a minor annoyance but not enough to interfere with skiing. The wind up top had continued all night and smoothed out the snow in many places with some deposition as well. We took two easy groomers on Haig to ease into the day. From Haig there is a good view of the south side of the main mountain.
IMG_5626.JPG

Drifter is at center right with south chutes at far left. The center area tends to get wind stripped.

At the top of the Haig lift, Powder Stagecoach cat skiers were being briefed.
IMG_5628a.JPG

The cat terrain is skier’s right of Haig with the chair servicing the lower half of vertical and the cat the upper half. This enables a typical ski day averaging 14K, high for a day operation.

Some of the terrain visible from the red chair looked smoothed out by the wind so we tested Outlaw and Tamarack. With this enhancement I was confident Lone Star would be even better, so Tseeb followed me out there with his improving condition.
IMG_5634.JPG

The wind on the south traverse was not as bad as Thursday, but it must have picked up because when got off the next blue chair at 11AM the top red chair was on wind hold. I decided to cruise down Centre and take an early lunch. Tseeb went back up, found the top lift reopened and skied the north side groomed High Noon/Lower Siwash.

Friday was the day the predicted warm weather finally arrived, with high temps at the base of about 45F. Tseeb noted that the lower groomed runs were in spring mode with their few flat sections getting a bit sticky.

Up top with the wind midday it was still winter snow. Riding the red chair we saw some big smooth turns on Sheriff.
IMG_5639.JPG

So we took a couple of laps there.
IMG_5641.JPG

We then did another traverse south to High Rustler, upper sunny section here.
IMG_5647.JPG

A cloud was overhead during the midsection.
IMG_5657.JPG

Lower down we bailed into flattish untracked which skied similarly to Thursday, but it was sun softened and thus likely to be crusty the next morning.

Next I skied the groomed High Noon/Lower Siwash Tseeb had done before lunch, avoiding low sticky spots by skiing the edge in afternoon shade. Our final run was Drifter, which had some smoothing but was less consistent than the south chutes. Tseeb found more consistent snow near the right rope line. As we approached the Easy Out traverse we hit snow that had been sun softened in the morning but was starting to firm up a bit. So I believe this is the first time I’ve ever bailed out of the lower ¼ of Drifter via Easy Out.

I finished with 23,500 vertical for a well timed last day at Castle. About 40% of the mountain turned to spring conditions. Skiing should still be manageable with groomed options on the lower mountain, though it was probably difficult on Saturday with heavy overcast and likely wind.

jamesdeluxe":3myi8y14 said:
Weather and conditions look great, nice score.
This was below average by the standards of my previous seven visits to Castle, so no surprise I keep coming back.

FYI the warmup was far more widespread at Fernie, where it reportedly reached 50F on Friday. While I estimated 40% of Castle went to spring conditions, it was closer to 90% at Fernie. The Great Gray North returned on Saturday so nearly everything groomed and ungroomed at Fernie was frozen granular. The only winter snow we found was in the 123's, steep north facing at the top of Currie Bowl at 6,300 feet. Even the north facing was refrozen below 5,500 feet, the top of Fernie's old side. Not coincidentally, 5,500 is less than halfway up Castle's vertical.

My vertical numbers from Castle are: first day - 24.3K as I rode Huckleberry lift 3 times after Tony Crocker quit about 3 and I was still finding corduroy along the edge of blue groomers until I quit just before 4 and second day - 25.2K between 9:20 and 2:30. The first day I got to experience Castle as an intermediate as my back did not like ungroomed snow as I could not unweight or jump turn, had to take time to get stable after turns on ungroomed and had to stem to initiate some of my turns. My back was and still is worst in AM and gets better in PM. Following pictures are all from my iPhone on our first day at Castle. Will add more from 2nd day when I have time.

Lower Siwash which is black and steeper than it looks towards bottom.
9216CastleLowerSiwash.JPG

Centre run under lower chair that is steep blue run. Chair is 1460' vertical.
9217CastleLowerChair.JPG

Snow blowing on surface and clouds blowing over top of upper chair that is 1380' vertical. Note how tracked out bowl is at right.
9228CastleBlowing.JPG

Pictures from our second day at Castle. Note how bowl to looker's right of chair got smoothed out. I skied Tamarack, to left of chair once and between Deputy and Sheriff four times and Outlaw, further lookers right twice. Most of these runs were in smooth blown-in snow.
9233CastleDeputySheriffOutlaw.JPG
We took an early run out Skyline Traverse (2610m Hiag Mountain in background) to the South and skied Lone Star.
9234Castle2South.JPG
2331TonyCrockerCastle.JPG
Later in day we found great windsift on High Rustler which is further out the Skyline Traverse.
2335TonyCrockerRustler.JPG
2337TonyCrockerWindsift.JPG
2340TonyCrockerRustler.JPG
2342TonyCrockerClose.JPG

Back