Snowbird, UT March 14, 2020 (last day before closure)

tseeb

Alta and Snowbird suspended operations today for a week.

My wife decided she was not skiing as she didn’t want to have to change at car after skiing and was feeling a little out of breath after 6 nights at 8,000’ and 5 days skiing. I got out about 9:30 from Iron Blosam after getting all my stuff into 24-hour rental car that I had picked up in Sandy the previous afternoon in a 75 minutes trip via bus, 10 minute walk and drive back.

Only about 1/4 of the parking lot had some snow, maybe due to wind blowing it away, and there was not much at base, but I found 2" new at top of Gadzoom and places with 3-4" new on Gad 2 which I rode 5x. The was usually a short singles line, while maze was nearly full most of the time. I skied some of the area I'd been shown previous day where there was still winter snow underneath 3x (STH and trees either side of it) and went out gate from very nice Bananas twice; once returning to Gad 2 and once continuing to Baby Thunder where Lazy Susan was smooth with a new inch on top.

After a quick break at mid-Gad, I went over to Peruvian where it was very windy and cloudy at top. I rode it 4x, going out Zen gate twice and through Green Forest (off Round the World traverse) twice. I rode and skied Wilbere twice before quitting with 22.5K and met my wife at car a little after 2. We had time for stops at two Level Nine stores, a beer from Kiito's and to split a burger and beer at Gordon Biersch at SLC before catching 6:30 PM flight. Flight was under 40% full and at least 6 people were wearing masks. We took a row 3/4 of the way back with nobody near us.

A couple of pictures taken from Wilbere chair about 2 pm. First is looking towards tram and second is looking up the hill. I think they call that a sucker hole in the second picture as you were a sucker if you thought it was sunny and not windy 2000-3000' higher on mountain.

Attachments

• 9303Tram@2CR.JPG
    9303Tram@2CR.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 67,948
  • 9301Wilbur@2CRJPG.JPG
    9301Wilbur@2CRJPG.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 67,943
Back