Capitol Reef NP, Sept. 12, 2020

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We had seen firsthand in Moab the previous day how popular national parks are in this year of the road trip. So on Saturday we were pleased to be visiting Utah's most remote national park.
CapitolReef.jpg

The visitor center was closed. Rangers were outside at a table in front of Gifford House to hand out maps and answer questions. We started by hiking from the nearby parking lot up about 500 feet to Cohab Canyon.
IMG_7808.JPG

There's a good view SW up the Fremont River.
IMG_7810.JPG

Soon we reached the top of Cohab Canyon.
P9122111.JPG

IMG_7813.JPG

The ranger told us there were interesting rock formations and side slot canyons up here.
IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

P9122136.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

Here we are about halfway down Cohab Canyon.
IMG_7843a.JPG

This trail and Grand Wash farther south can be hiked one way if you spot a car shuttle on Hwy 24. The Frying Pan Trail along those white rocks in background goes 3 miles south to Cassidy Arch and Grand Wash.

On the return hike we explored the deepest side slot.
IMG_7851.JPG

There was a convenient "bag check" just as the slot narrowed.
IMG_7868.JPG

I followed.
IMG_4039.JPG

Liz at the end of the side slot:
IMG_7863.JPG

We drove the Scenic Drive to Capitol Gorge. The first 2.4 miles is a drivable dirt road.
IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7911.JPG

The next mile is an easy walk.
IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

We made the short climb up to the Tanks.
IMG_7940.JPG

These potholes normally have water, but not after the dry monsoon season of 2020.

Layered rocks along the Scenic Drive:
IMG_7965.JPG

We drove another dirt road into the Grand Wash and hiked down a short distance.
P9122215.JPG

IMG_7975.JPG

We leave the wash to ascend to Cassidy Arch.
IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7980.JPG

View west down to the Grand Wash road:
IMG_7983.JPG

View south of rock formations on the far side of Grand Wash:
P9122227.JPG

We're near the fork of the Frying Pan trail continuing north while we will take the Cassidy Arch spur to the left.
IMG_7984.JPG

I'm on top of Cassidy Arch about 7PM.
P9122235.JPG

Liz is silhouetted by the low angle light.

I took this picture of her across the V-shaped opening.
IMG_7994.JPG

View of Cassidy Arch on the return hike:
IMG_8009.JPG

A steep gorge twists from below Cassidy Arch down to the Grand Wash.
IMG_8013.JPG

It was a bit past sunset when we got back to the car. We were pleasantly surprised by an excellent dinner at the Rim Rock Inn near Torrey. We continued on to Richfield for the night. In both Green River and Richfield we stayed at motels near superchargers. They are 124 miles apart on I-70 but 197 miles the way we did it on Hwy 24. Admin's haunts in the San Rafael Swell and Goblin State Park are between I-70 and Hwy 24. If we had another day we might have checked those out.

Back