Vail/BC/Breck/Heavenly now full

ChrisC

No skiing for the Front Range Vail resorts except Keystone for a few days.

Dec 26-Jan 3 almost all gone.

This will not end well - I’m sure money gets a reservation (and a vaccine).

FYI Alta/Bird reservations for weekends and holidays were fully booked through at least presidents weekend as of 3 or so weeks ago... Much press in Utah, but little notice nationally. Similar story at even Eldora for weekend at this point.

EMSC":1u6ohv58 said:
FYI Alta/Bird reservations for weekends and holidays were fully booked through at least presidents weekend as of 3 or so weeks ago...
Not quite accurate.

Snowbird:
https://www.snowbird.com/parking/":1u6ohv58 said:
All guests guest of driving age (16 or older) can have up to a total of 14 days reserved at a time during the season starting November 23, which can be done by reserving parking for 7 Advance Days and 7 Week-Of Days. Our goal is to allow guests to ski and ride on the days they wish, therefore additional parking inventory will be released on a limited, rolling basis. Check parking availability often so you can reserve your spots.
The Advance Days on weekends are booked through March 20. The Week-Of reservations become available 7 days before the day you want to reserve. We always get a pass for the Iron Blosam parking when we check in, but I'll probably call to confirm that.

Alta:
https://www.alta.com/parking-and-road#parking":1u6ohv58 said:
Alta Ski Area is not requiring parking or skiing reservations, capacity will be monitored closely and parking will be adjusted daily to match conditions and lift capacity. Much like a snow report or weather conditions, it is highly recommended to check Parking and Road status before leaving the house.
Alta's parking is limited but is first come first served.

When I looked this morning, I did not see any full days at any of the Tahoe Vail resorts. So if you want to go, maybe the way to do it is to keep looking. When I just looked, Breck was available Dec. 24-26 and available any day beginning Jan. 3. Beaver Creek showed availability Dec 25, 26 and 29 and any day beginning Jan. 3. Vail was only available Dec 24 and all days after Jan. 3.

I had reservation for 5 days in Dec. between Heavenly and Kirkwood. I cancelled them all and two were cancelled after midnight on day of reservation. I had booked Wed-Fri of last week on 1st day reservations opened in early Nov. I cancelled due to continued need to manage work on vacant rental and wife's ongoing objection to me violating county and now state stay-at-home orders. I have reservations for the first 6 days of 2021, but at least the earlier ones will most likely be cancelled. I have gotten out for three mountain bike rides in the last week and may get in a dirt bike (motorcycle) ride today.

I looked at the web cams this morning for Jackson Hole. It seems to be the first time that there are sizeable lift lines for a couple of the lifts that leave from the base area. It's hard to tell exactly how far apart people are but it doesn't really look to me to be 6 feet (in a lot of cases). I assume everyone is wearing masks but I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable (knowing how easily the virus can be transmitted) standing in such a lift line for 10 or 15 minutes.

berkshireskier":34yzd0sc said:
I assume everyone is wearing masks but I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable (knowing how easily the virus can be transmitted) standing in such a lift line for 10 or 15 minutes.
Regular chair lift lines are de facto spaced by the length of skis and nearly always outside. Mammoth on Dec. 2 roped the parallel lines with dead space in between so side by side distance was also 6 feet.

Gondola and tram lines where you take your skis off I see as a problem. Furthermore those lines often go inside for while before loading. And riding a tram itself is a worst case scenario. So areas like Jackson with high gondola/tram dependence are not an ideal choice for 2020-21. As noted before, gondola/tram dependence is the rule not the exception in the Alps.

Back