Bogus Basin, ID, Feb. 5, 2021

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I was last at Bogus Basin in 2010 with NASJA. This parking lot sticker caught my eye then.
file.php

Here’s one for 2020.
IMG_8752.JPG

2010 was a blue sky spring day. This one was very different with a persistent fog layer on the upper half of Bogus’ 1,800 vertical most of the day. There was an ongoing storm in the Panhandle, with Brundage/Tamarack getting a few inches on the edge but Bogus Basin was too far south for any new snow. Nonetheless there must have been significant wind earlier because most of the north facing trails had significant windsift that yielded delightful skiing despite the visibility.

Our first run from the Deer Point chair was pea soup and we got separated. We regrouped to take Morning Star to the backside. The north facing Superior lift was a slow double in 2010 but it and Morning Star are now high speed quads. We got there via the War Eagle cat track and trail. By the next run on Bonanza we learned to relax more in the fog because the snow was so smooth, consistent and forgiving.

So we ventured off the groomed down the Superior liftline.
IMG_8753.JPG

Partway down we diverted skier’s right into scattered trees and bushes.
IMG_8754.JPG

We then moved to the Pine Creek Express via Paradise run. This faces east and had good corn last time but was all winter snow at this time of year with current conditions. The top of that lift had intense fog and the traverse skier’s right to access many of the runs is just above treeline. One again Liz and I got separated and we both failed to stay on the wide open Mary’s Ridge run, both veering off into the trees, Liz to skier’s left and me farther down to skier’s right. After regrouping we tried again and stayed on the trail, eventually pausing for this view under the cloud layer.
IMG_8758.JPG

Next we skied ungroomed in spaced trees near the Pine Creek lift.
IMG_8759.JPG

The lower quarter of that liftline feeds into a narrow gully but there was an easy traverse out skier’s right.

About 1PM we skied Tiger back to the base for a break and snack. Tiger was foggy most of the way but had scattered bushes for orientation. We did not ski the steepest runs directly off Shafer Butte that I skied in afternoon corn in 2010 due to lack of vegetation.

Bogus Basin was more user friendly to those who needed a break or brought their own food. They set up an outside tent with space heaters.
IMG_8760.JPG

We found it nearly impossible to rest or thaw inside at Alta and Snowbird a week ago.

After lunch we thought we would check out the Bitterroot lift but it was closed. So we were diverted to Superior. We found more interesting runs there as we finally got some sunny breaks in the fog.
IMG_8764.JPG

IMG_8765.JPG

Heading back to the frontside here’s the view NW over the closed Bitterroot runs.
IMG_8768.JPG

As the cloud layer lifted we finally skied 3 runs on the Deer Point lift. View of the base area from Shaker Ridge:
IMG_8770.JPG

Liz was very impressed by Bogus Basin, as I was on such a different day in 2010. Liz is often put off by bad visibility, but with the snow conditions today she skied great. Perhaps she’s more “Zen” after her Kristen Ulmer clinic last week. We skied 23,100 vertical.

I've always wanted to check out Bogus; it looks like an easy candidate for top locals areas in the western U.S.

Is that skiable acres figure legit: 2,600?

Yes 2,600 seems about right. There are 4 high speed lifts yet there is plenty of elbow room. Several trails we skied we saw no other people until approaching the lift, though I’m sure that’s not the case on weekends.

It depends on how you define local’s area, but hard to say Bogus isn’t a strong candidate for #1. I find Bogus far more user friendly than Bridger Bowl for example. I guess I’d define a local’s area as something like 75+% daytrip business. Lower that threshold to 50% and you probably pick up LCC and BCC.

It is probable that Castle meets the 75% in which case there’s no doubt who’s #1.

Tony Crocker":68fi9onj said:
It depends on how you define local’s area (...) I guess I’d define a local’s area as something like 75+% daytrip business. Lower that threshold to 50% and you probably pick up LCC and BCC.
A local's area is an "I know it when I see it" situation with no or minimal onsite lodging, along with the majority daytrip business that Tony mentions. The only Cottonwoods area that applies these days is Brighton.

IIRC, Bogus was a (or "the") trailblazer of the dirt-cheap season pass, which I suppose was the first step toward the mega passes of today.

Curious on the reference to creating the dirt cheap pass. I thought Winter Park with its buddy pass was on the bleeding edge in the dirt cheap season pass game way back when.

From the Bogus Wikipedia page:

In March 1998, Bogus' general manager Mike Shirley reduced the cost of an adult season pass from $500 to $199, lowering the break-even point to just seven visits (and kids' season passes fell to just $29). Bogus Basin sold nearly nine times as many passes for the 1998–99 season versus the previous year, halting the pass sales at 25,000 (2,854 for the 1997–98 season).

The new pricing strategy generated almost four times as much revenue (nearly $3.6 million) from season pass sales, all before June, six months before the season would begin. Total skier visits went from under 192,000 to over 303,000 (up 58%). Although the sales of day tickets ($31 each) expectedly fell (almost 50%), Bogus' total revenue increased by $2.6 million (up 55%) to $7.3 million for the 1998-99 ski season.

Shirley's deep-discount strategy was effective: resorts from coast to coast lowered their prices for multi-day, multi-area, and season passes. Locally, ski equipment sales increased significantly as skiers upgraded their gear. The $199 price was in effect for fifteen years, until raised to $229 for the 2013–14 season.

While searching for info about BB's season pass history, I ran across FTO forum comments from the mid to late 00s. Several of them mentioned that unreliable snow was a not infrequent issue. Tony, do your records over the past 15 years confirm that?

jamesdeluxe":2f2v1v9b said:
While searching for info about BB's season pass history, I ran across FTO forum comments from the mid to late 00s. Several of them mentioned that unreliable snow was a not infrequent issue. Tony, do your records over the past 15 years confirm that?

Here is the contemporary report from my 2010 visit.

I later wrote a feature article about Bogus and Brundage.

I addressed snow reliability in those pieces. I do not have ongoing snowfall records for Bogus Basin. When I was there in 2010 I got 43 years of annual snowfall. The key points about Bogus Basin snow:
1) Bogus is favored by the same SW pattern as Sun Valley more than by the NW flow favored by most Northern Rockies areas, Brundage included. However Bogus' snowfall average is 247 inches vs. 195 at Sun Valley.
2) The SW flow areas have more volatility than the NW flow areas, so low snow seasons are somewhat more frequent.
3) Bogus does not have a good water source for snowmaking, so bad years will be limited in open terrain, much more than at Sun Valley with its world class snowmaking that I also documented in 2010.

I should point out that this season is about average so far and conditions were outstanding last Friday. And in 2010 some steep sunny exposures that had good spring snow at Bogus were burned off at Sun Valley.

James is correct that Bogus Basin should be avoided in lean snow years. But as at most places you can look at base depths and percent of terrain open in advance and make an intelligent decision.

jamesdeluxe":1ynyp4u1 said:
In March 1998

Difficult to discern exact timing of who was first. I just found an article that says Bogus was first and Winter park followed, but Bogus and Winter Park both offered 'discount' passes in 1998. No information seems to indicate for Winter Park the timing of when it started offering the pass (eg which month). Seems likely WP may have followed by just a couple of months at most but for the same season. Sort of a tie in some respects as to being able to use such a pass. WP had lost a lot of market share to Vail owned places and was getting desperate which is why they started it in Colo.

I do know that I had just moved to Denver metro and didn't have 3 other buddies lined up that fall (had to purchase what amounted to a 4 pack of season passes at a time back then) so I went with an Abasin only pass for 98-99; before switching to one of the buddy passes (A Keystone/Abasin/Breck one as I recall) the following year once everyone jumped on that bandwagon in the front range.

At the NASJA event in 2010, the people at Bogus were definitely touting that they were the first with the cut rate season passes. It was viewed as a daring experiment because they thought their parking might overflow. But lots of locals come up and ski 3-4 hours so parking has not been a problem.

Obviously the pass program has been a financial success because it has funded 4 high speed lifts on all key terrain pods. This level of infrastructure is not what most people would expect at a community non-profit ski area. The passes also cushion the financial shock from subpar seasons.

Back