Powder Mt., UT, Feb. 2, 2021

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
J.P. Goulet hosted our NASJA group Tuesday at Powder Mt. We first skied from the Timberline base down Rendezvous to the Paradise lift which has just opened the prior weekend. We rode two lifts to the top and then skied to the Village and Mary’s lifts which serve the new real estate development.
IMG_8679.JPG

About 40 homes have been built or permitted so far. They can be a maximum of 4,500 square feet and must blend with the scenery.

From the top of Mary’s there is a view SE to the Uintas.
IMG_8681.JPG

From Mary’s you can ski directly into Cobabe Canyon. JP led us to Bluebell, which he thought was groomed.
IMG_8683.JPG

Most of us were pleased that it was not.
IMG_8687.JPG

The powder was 3 days old but north facing so still in good shape.

The runout goes to Paradise, so we rode the two lifts again to the top of Hidden Lake.
IMG_8693.JPG

We had lunch at Skylodge, which is usually reserved for homeowners.
IMG_3002.JPG

JP is telling us some of the history here.

Skylodge has panoramic views from north to south. This is the view north to Lightning Ridge and James Peak beyond.
IMG_8696.JPG

In prior visits admin and BobbyD have led us to some long powder runs out there.

We were on our own after lunch so naturally Liz and I returned to Cobabe Canyon via the Sunrise surface lift.
IMG_8699.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG

We skied this south aspect from the top of Paradise down to Hidden Lake. Snow was a bit crunchy but well skier packed here.
IMG_8709.JPG

The opposite side is north facing but the ungroomed was more heavily tracked out than in Cobabe Canyon.

The rest of the NASJA group was provided van transport from Ogden and left at 3PM both Monday and Tuesday. Liz and I drove our car and skied until 3:30 both days. We skied 13,500 vertical, about 20% of that in the 3 day old powder.

On Tuesday night the NASJA members had a walking tour of Ogden. Ogden was developed primarily in connection with the transcontinental railroad in the 1860’s. The Golden Spike is about 30 miles away. Thus the town was quite lively in the 19th century and quite different from its LDS surroundings in Utah.

The 19th century architecture is mostly preserved, such as Hearth on 25th, where we had an outstanding tasting menu dinner in a private room.
IMG_8711.JPG

Historic 25th Street is two blocks of bars, restaurants and shopping. It’s easily walkable from most hotels and from the convention center that can handle 500-700 person groups.
IMG_8714.JPG

After dinner we went to an underground bar Unspoken, which was a Speakeasy during Prohibition.
Unspoken.jpg

Tony Crocker":30qhxh3r said:
They can be a maximum of 4,500 square feet and must blend with the scenery.
Is it possible for a 4,500-square foot house to blend in with the scenery? Those certainly don't.

I wish I had the time to ski PM this season on my Loveland pass. Still have never been there.

While I have spent part of a day on 25th Street in Ogden and I've been to the Shooting Star (and posted picture of the 296 lb. St. Bernard viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12614), I've never been to Powder Mountain.

You posted "JP led us to Bluebell", but when "JP is telling us some of the history", he is wearing shoes, jeans and a sweatshirt. Did he change or is that what he wears skiing?

There is some kind of architectural conformity code with the housing. They don't want it to look like Deer Valley.

I did not notice JP's wardrobe change. The Skylodge was not serving food. JP retrieved sandwiches from the Timberline base. Maybe he drove a car or snowmobile to get them.

Back