Winter Park, CO 04-18-21

EMSC

Keeping on the newly refreshed surfaces from last weeks storm.

The whole family went up today and found a bitterly cold morning (single digits up top early morning). Generally very nice snow surfaces, with a bit of icy/hardpack in a few spots mostly lower down near the very bottom of Panorama lift. The main groomer through the bowl was in fantastic shape as was the bowl itself. The various tree runs were a bit more mixed in that the most used (over-used?) lines would have icy patches between the small bumps, but as long as you stayed in any of the slightly less skied lines, you never touched anything other than soft winter snow. With occasional turns in leftover powder patches.

Vasquez Cirque, Eagle Wind, and Pioneer areas were all closed. Though with the recent snowfalls only ~foot the moderate angle terrain of Parsenn bowl was the right call for soft conditions anyway.

After having arrived early under the theory that it would be best early (esp any groomers) we also took an early Lunch Rock break just before noon sitting outside (no dining inside this year at that spot). Just barely warm enough to do so and when the occasional cloud came over it was immediately frigid. Fortunately there was very little breeze. After that we had only a couple of runs back on Panorama before calling it and heading down (going up Sunnyside lift first) - for me skiing trees between runs skiers right of Challenger lift where ducking into tight trees got me still winter ~10" of snow, untracked for a couple hundred verts. I guess no one else was into cutting into the tight section and the trees then pushed everyone to the sides at the same point that 'inside' the tree zone opened back up into normal sized glade spacing.

It never really warmed up to more than mid-20's during our time up top though we did leave early at just after 2p. And it was finally getting to the freezing point at that time in the parking areas.

20210418_093325.jpg

20210418_095105.jpg

20210418_110109.jpg

20210418_110352.jpg

20210418_111108.jpg

Back