Montana Snowbowl, MT: March 17, 2021

ChrisC

Another day in the Great Grey Northwest.....Cloudless and nearing 60f in the valleys. The last time I skied MT Snowbowl was 2006 - foggy, snowy/rainy and wet. The big difference now - I could see where I was skiing.

However, some things are the same: access road is horrendous, the lifts are ancient and not keeping up with local population growth (hate to ski it on a popular day) but the front face trails are as steep and bumpy as ever. This really is one of the tougher resorts in skidom. And it has a great friendly local atmosphere.

By March, Snowbowl adjusts its schedule (closed on certain weekdays) and moves its opening to 10 am (to 4:30) to address Daylight Savings Time change. My primary goal was to ski the long front side bump runs - West Ridge, West Bowl, East Bowl, Far East - and the new lift Snow Park. The laps take almost 45 minutes so your ski day is limited. Awesome to see some kids around 5 ripping it up!

wYuTVWI.jpg

VP4mpeB.jpg

MKAwnZB.jpg

XdWJArm.jpg

Entrance to Snowbowl

oW7bGAW.jpg

a6nxFPt.jpg

Initially, I gravitated to the new terrain on the Snow Park lift since surfaces were still frozen - but that was not a smart move since it faces west. The trail map does not really show that orientation. I had to return later in the afternoon to take an additional run when the snow had softened. But it's a pain to get out to the Snow Park lift....the slated 2 new lifts really need to get installed (liftlines are cut). Great views though....

q7Oj96y.jpg

I took a few laps on the LaVelle Creek chair groomers - which retained their packed powder surfaces - until the front side expert runs softened.

ajfwtjv.jpg

DUaXjKi.jpg

I started with West Bowl (think it's my favorite)

tEDVSIR.jpg

thS3pUO.jpg

Wk2Ddcz.jpg

Mhgr6Uc.jpg

West Ridge - overview and run

vB172dV.jpg

XUf3V1V.jpg

kAJQ6Tz.jpg

rt6AtfJ.jpg

Hkgokqv.jpg

IcNsKRj.jpg

pTeMLUr.jpg

East Bowl

OYF4Tx1.jpg

78f0fzk.jpg

3KWr3ZZ.jpg

Grizzly - starting to lose cover at base
4STlbZL.jpg

mrcNSsv.jpg

eAmbdkU.jpg

XdaVbGV.jpg

Overview of East Side Runs
23d8vw0.jpg

m8BVPR8.jpg

Funky base lodge
8vNmIt8.jpg

Overall, Montana Snowbowl is one of the most exhausting areas to ski due to long bump runs. I retreated back to Missoula to one of the local breweries...and a nap.

ChrisC":3aex2ybb said:
I started with West Bowl (think it's my favorite)
A couple of weeks must make a difference is stronger sun. West Bowl was a great run but no one was skiing it until past 1PM. East Bowl was in prime form when we hit it around noon.

ChrisC":3aex2ybb said:
Overall, Montana Snowbowl is one of the most exhausting areas to ski due to long bump runs.
Absolutely. I'm very impressed with the 33K you skied. I was quite worked by 22K on my first visit in 2012. This year we skied 23,700 but probably at least half groomers. I was showing Liz around and wanted make sure we weren't trashed before skiing Discovery the next day.

Back