Wasatch (UT) resorts, 1/23-29/00

Stephen

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 1/31/00. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Got back from my trip to Utah (01/23-01/29) on Saturday and found that winter has finally arrived in the east. Out in Utah they are still waiting. Ullr has not favored Utah so far this season. Someone told me they have half their usual snow depth. Resorts are ~90% open and reported base depths are exaggerated. Even so, 4 of my ski days made it to my top 10. <BR> <BR>I had three bluebird days. The snow was great when I arrived because they were getting 2-4 per day during the week prior to my arrival. On Tuesday we got 10-12 with another 2 on Wednesday. Skied 2 days with temps in the teens, 3 days with temps in the upper 20's. <BR> <BR>In order of preference/enjoyment were Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Park City and Brighton. The day at Brighton did not make my top 10 because while the groomers and tree skiing were great the steeps were scraped off and rocky. A local blamed this on the large number of snowboarders that frequent Brighton but it had also been 3 days since the last dump. <BR> <BR>I started each day with a warm up run then would head up to a promising area. These could be found by scanning the trail maps for places labeled as chutes or bowls. Sometimes I would just spot an interesting area on the lift ride. Powder for everyone! It was everywhere! Not real deep but plenty steep. <BR> <BR>The day ended with the drive back to the motel, a meal and hot shower. Me in a semi vegetative stupor in front of the TV until it was late enough to go to sleep. I overdid it every day

Back