Revelations @ Mt Bachelor 3/4/10

schubwa

I realized today that it has been nearly six months since this season began (October 6th). I count the beginning as the first day back on new snow after summer, even though I usually ski/ride year round due to Timberline and our snowy volcanoes. Does time seem to go by faster as you age? Did this winter just fly by or what?

DSC06539.jpg

It was another sunny powder day here with the Summit Chair opening at 9AM. Nothing real deep, but very high quality snow after a nearly windless storm yesterday.

DSC06546.jpg

I concentrated most of my turning on the face runs this morning. Recently the snow seems to be better on the west facing aspects up top. This generally favors the face runs although the backside shots were pretty good as well.

DSC06555.jpg

Here is my wingman Robert checking out some alpine terrain located above the traverse from NWX Chair to Outback. More fun west facing fluff on a day with brilliant sunshine.

DSC06558.jpg

These hills are called the "Moraine", and they're just that, terminal moraines from a small glacier that advanced during the Little Ice Age. There are still permanent snowfields hiding in the shadows of the Cirque Bowl. This section of the top is rarely skied as the prevailing wind usually strips this part clean. Not today.

DSC06561.jpg

I also realized (again) that it sure is nice to live near a major ski area with 3700 acres, that is not a name brand destination spot. We have been fortunate that El Nino has been kind to us. Much better than I expected this year especially with all the days off the top.

DSC06549.jpg

West Village Depth (6300') 93", Mid Mountain Depth (7300') 104", Season 304". Happy trails!

Back