Snowbird, 3/11/2010

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
The day started with Adam's first known ski injury. Coming down Chip's Face on his first run he hit a run on the catwalk that released his ski and he jammed his thumb when he fell. It was very painful but only through the first joint. The MD's in our Iron Blosam group think it may be a hairline fracture, so he got a metal splint that evening which immobilized the sore joint. During this day he could not hold a pole with that hand, so Adam carried both poles in the other hand or had Mark Meisner carry them in his pack.

After the younger group had already done 2 trams and a Peruvian the rest of us made it to the tram deck about 10:30. We started in the Upper Cirque and then moved to the Gad side.

Soon we were on Tigertail, which is probably Ed Meisner's favorite area:
IMG_5869.JPG

Mark Meisner with Adam's poles (I wonder if Adam got them in that color in Patrick's honor?)
IMG_5872.JPG

Diana Siegel on Tigertail:
IMG_5873.JPG

Later we went up Little Cloud. Mark found a jump but crashed when he exposed a rock, similar but not as spectacularly as Nick on Sunday.
IMG_5881.JPG

Over in the Rasta area Eddie above and Adam below, holding his injured left hand in as he skis.
IMG_5885.JPG

Eddie at the bottom of one of the Gad Chutes. Shaded skier's left lines in there still had some powdery sluff.
IMG_5892.JPG

Late in the day on my own I skied the "rarely skiable(?)" Elevator:
IMG_5896.JPG

I had the late start after the previous powder day and skied 18,300. I skied on the Jimis this day in the leftovers and mixed conditions to test their versatility and they did quite well. Adam and his group skied 29,000 despite the bad thumb.

Back