Boyne Highlands Feb 3-5

dank

Spent 3 days (Feb 3-5) skiing at Boyne Highlands, which has become our annual family trip. The poor winter was very evident there this year. I don’t believe they have had any significant snow there in over a week. The temps during our trip were in the high 30’s and even into the low 40’s during the day. Saturday was the worst as it didn’t freeze overnight so the runs did not firm back up at all and was soft even in the morning the morning. It was spring skiing in February, but without the sun. It was mostly overcast with very flat light all weekend. There were some bare spots in many of the trails, and any area that had not been groomed recently was virtually unskiable as it was either heavy snow, or frozen crud depending on the time of day. One good thing is that no precipitation came through, because at those temps it would have been rain.

The crowds were very light on Friday and Sunday, and even Saturday seemed a little less crowded than in the past. We had no problems finding tables at lunch or seats in the bar. The poor weather is really keeping the crowds away. If they don’t get some decent snowstorms in the next few weeks and lower temps I don’t know if they will be able to stay open until March.

Also, my 5 year old took a full day lesson on Friday and she loved it. Thanks to the great ski school at Boyne and especially Steve. They are very organized and the instructors are great with the kids.

Back