North Shore Lake Superior, Sept. 3-4, 2020

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
With limited time at Lake Superior I opted to return to Minnesota North Shore, which I had visited with NASJA in March 2009.
IMG_4405.JPG

Liz had never been there and I had a good idea of places to visit from the prior trip. Also Duluth has a supercharger to enable access without an overnight stop. Duluth's supercharger is on the third floor of a Holiday Inn parking garage in an industrial area so not much to see around there.

From Duluth we drove to Lutsen by 3PM, where its gondola was running.
IMG_7298a.JPG

We did not ride it and moved on, first trying to see some of the secondary lakes in the area.

I remembered a brief view of Caribou Lake while snowmobiling, but only after some exploration did we find a road with access to a decent view.
IMG_7307.JPG

As it was approaching 4PM we drove to the Cascade River trail.
IMG_7315.JPG

The part ascending from the lakeshore road is steepest part with several waterfalls. We reached the view from the bridge in about 10 minutes walk.
IMG_7322.JPG

We continued up along the east side of the river.
IMG_7324.JPG

I had remembered something about "40 minutes" in that sign and thought there was a second bridge higher up. The trail climbed high above the river for awhile.
IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

We followed a couple of side trails that descended the gorge to the river.
IMG_7336.JPG

This looks more like the part I descended on cross country skis in 2009. I do not recall a steep climbing exit though, so I'm not sure where on the Cascade River I was then.

Eventually we turned around, went back to the footbridge, then to the car via these west side views.
IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

Cascade River flowing into Lake Superior:
IMG_7350.JPG

We spent the night at a B&B in Grand Marais, where they put up that NASJA banner in 2009. This was our front porch view from dinner.
IMG_7353a.JPG

After dinner we walked out to the harbor breakwater.
IMG_7363.JPG

Our charge in Duluth was adequate for a round trip to Grand Marais, but Liz was interested in continuing on to the Boundary Lakes. In normal times there's another supercharger up the road in Thunder Bay, but of course that's off limits now. We had the 12-gauge extension cord I had used all summer in Florida and were able to stretch that from the B&B porch to the car and add another 45 miles overnight.

Grand Marais was a good place for Liz to enjoy her Scandinavian heritage.
IMG_7365a.JPG

On Friday morning we drove up to Poplar Lake.
IMG_7367a.JPG

We explored further to the residential area at Voyageur's Point.
IMG_7369.JPG

Lake views:
IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7383.JPG

Poplar Lake has several islands, one nearby currently inhabited by a moose and calf according to this local with whom we chatted.
IMG_3773.JPG

We were about 4 miles by air from Canada here.

Brule River between Boundary Waters and Grand Marais:
IMG_7398.JPG

We really enjoyed the beer from local brewery Castle Danger at dinner in Grand Marais, so we stopped by the brewery in Two Harbors on the way back to Duluth to take some home. Certain Utah skiers will appreciate their beer glass.
IMG_2913.jpg

I was texting flyover and he advised us within minutes of reaching Palisade Head to stop for Lake Superior views.
West:
IMG_7402.JPG

East:
IMG_7400a.JPG

South to Apostle Islands:
IMG_7401.JPG

The highest Apostle Island, Oak Island is only 480 feet above the lake. Once you get much farther east the Apostles are not visible from the north shore. However, Minnesota is continuously visible on the horizon from the Apostles because the Iron Mountains rise over 1,000 feet above the lake.

We stopped at the Duluth charger for an hour to charge from 9% to 94% before returning to Bayfield for the 4:30PM cruise.

Back