Boyne Highlands 2/25-2/27

dank

Spent a long weekend at Boyne Highlands. The conditions and the temps were about the same all weekend, in the lower twenties with periods of sunshine. Friday was the worst, mostly overcast and windy. And it was really crowded for a Friday, more crowded than Saturday was actually. I heard later on that there were a lot of the local school districts on winter break or something like that. The biggest suprise was the lack of snow. All the trails have snow, but it's really thinning out in the woods and on the edges, especially anything facing south. I've been up there in the first week of March once before and I know they had more snow than this. It will be interesting to see how much is open when they get to their spring carnival weekend in a few weeks. So, with the lack of snow and cold temps, it was icy in a lot of places, but nothing new for Michigan.

I did the demo package on Sunday as I'm starting to think about replacing my skis. I was a little disappointed in the selection of they had in my size. I'm 5'8", 150 lbs. So, i'm a little smaller than average, and it's getting late in the season, but still not impressed. In addition, the guy running the shop seemed to know little more than the manufacturers description. It's amazing how much has changed since I bought my first generation parabolics.

Also, got my 4 year old daughter riding the chair lifts for the first time. She can now ski/turn/stop on most of the green runs at a place like the Highlands. It made a big difference in her learning to spend 3 straight days on skis. In the magic carpet area they leave cones up most of the day, so she spent countless laps weaving in and out of the cones. Finally she was convinced there was more fun to be had riding the chair lifts.

Back