Heuberge, CH: 03/06/20

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
All of my destination road trips -- usually a bunch of one-day stops so I can experience as many ski areas as possible -- feature a particular place that I'm especially looking forward to. Even though I was psyched to ski Obersaxen, Brigels, and others on this itinerary, Heuberge (pronounced HOY bare gah) was the one that seemed really unique.

I'd been introduced to it via, where else, a recent TR on Alpinforum, when some guy hit it on the most perfect day imaginable. Take a look at those pix because as you'll see below, I didn't have his weather luck. Heuberge is one of those "hiding in plain sight" locals areas, on the same access road as the Davos resorts; in fact, it could easily be connected to well-known Klosters via a tram.

You can tell that it's a small non-corporate ski area because they don't spend money to include their trail network on Google Maps. All you get is a red dot similar to Tschiertschen to the southwest. Translated directly, it's "Hay Mountains," but more liberally you could call it Haystacks, which would be visually fitting.

google map.png

RIght alongside Route 28 just before Davos, this messaging gives you the overview: "A seven-mile-long (!) sledding trail: open. We bring you to the top; the sled brings you back down."
heuberge_pic.png
1.jpg

You drive up 800 verts and arrive in Fideris. Clearly, not optimum weather:
3.jpg

It was a Friday and they were having an offpeak deal: $20 tickets (includes the ride up to the base lodge and down if you don't want to ski or sled back to the valley) instead of the usual $33. No private vehicles are allowed on the four-yard-wide unpaved road, which is legally a sledding trail but shuttle buses that belong to the ski area are allowed! The buses, which leave every half hour or so, take you up 3,400 vertical feet to the base area consisting of two small hotels.
4.jpg

Buckle your seat belts is good advice on this kinda hairy drive; there are no guard rails and one slip-up on the snow-covered path would send the bus down the mountainside. Of course, the drivers can navigate it in their sleep.
5.jpg

The rules of the road are: sleds always ride on the side of the valley; buses always on the mountain side:
6.jpg

Here's one sledder (actually two), narrowly avoiding our bus. Seriously, could you imagine the legal releases people would have to sign in the U.S. to allow sledding on a mountain road with active bus traffic?
7.jpg

25 minutes later, we pulled into the base area:
8.jpg

Lift-served is approx 1,300 verts and skinning to the ridgeline is reportedly very popular. The valley run is obviously very truncated on the map. In reality, it's a long way down.
9 map.jpg

Unfortunately, the whiteout visibility from the previous day persisted. This was the only photo where I could see more than five feet ahead. I skied pretty much all of the groomed trails over the next 90 or so minutes, despite vertigo issues. Such a shame knowing how beautiful this place is on a sunny day, as you can see in the Alpinforum pix.
9a.jpg

Late morning, I stopped for the requisite coffee/cake break and met a local couple, both in their late 60s/early 70s.
9b.jpg

We got chatting and they asked if I wanted to join them for the "valley run." Great luck for me as I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it on my own. As we buckled up, the bearded husband turned to me and said with a smile but rather seriously "Mithalten bitte and keine Fotopause!" (please keep up and no photo breaks!"). Got it, no arseing around.

It was nonstop knee-deep pow all the way down except four or so places where we had to cross the sled/bus path -- treed, so visibility was fine, but wide open skiing/some of it meadow skipping, other sections pretty damn steep -- and I definitely needed to make an effort to keep up with these hardcore retirees. I would've stopped at least a dozen times.

Back in the village, I checked in at the atmospheric bar in the bus pickup area, The Sawmill, for a beer/complete with rails in the middle of the room and all sorts of woodworking instruments:
9c.jpg

9d.jpg

9e.jpg

9f.jpg

A Sledding 101 guide: you can see from the final item that they allow night sledding -- bring your own headlamp! Once again, legally unfathomable in the U.S. due to some of the major dropoffs alongside the path. You gotta respect how Europe treats you like an adult.
9g.jpg

On the way back to the car, this pooch came over and said hello.
9h.jpg

Love those teeth:
9i.jpg

So while the lift-served skiing itself was a disappointment due to whiteout issues, that badass valley run and hanging out in The Sawmill afterward were great. I'll definitely go back the next time I'm in the region on a good-weather day.
9j.jpg

Last edited:
Back