NZ and Oz - 2020.

So the world has been a bit strange for a while. Well it just got very weird for us.
We learned yesterday that a cleaner at one of the quarantine hotels (for returned travellers) had tested positive to the apparently more contagious UK variant of the virus.
This morning we learn that the entire greater Brisbane area - home to approximately 3 million people - are in a 3 day lockdown. That is for one infected person. That is not a misprint.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... e/13041766
It’s like I’m in some strange dream. Or nightmare.

3 days, not a big deal, most people don't even have to get groceries. They probably can contact everyone at least two degrees of separation from that case and be back to normal next week.

This is not an option here in L.A. County (population 10 million), where we have 14,000 new cases and 171 deaths per day over the past week.

Most people in L.A., and probably in the USA, would gladly trade Brisbane's scenario for ours, even during ski season.

Tony Crocker":2tbghseq said:
3 days, not a big deal, most people don't even have to get groceries. They probably can contact everyone at least two degrees of separation from that case and be back to normal next week.

This is not an option here in L.A. County (population 10 million), where we have 14,000 new cases and 171 deaths per day over the past week.

Most people in L.A., and probably in the USA, would gladly trade Brisbane's scenario for ours, even during ski season.
I wouldn’t want to swap situations of course but a lock down for one infected person is a gross overreaction.
Oh and they’ve mandated mask usage too. They’ve been looking for an excuse for that move for some time.
Before this one infected person we’ve had 125 days of no community transmission.
This has as much to do with control as it does health.
Rant over.

ShiftyRider":1ndyrxqv said:
Can we cut it out with the conspiracy theories please?
I don't believe sbooker is espousing conspiracy theories. Superficially US and Aussie cultures seem similar. But Aussies trust their government much more, which results in very decisive and intrusive actions in situations like this with not that much public pushback. The classic example was the Port Arthur Massacre and strict gun control laws enacted in its aftermath.

ShiftyRider":1mhvr1p7 said:
Can we cut it out with the conspiracy theories please?
No one suggested any conspiracy. Just over reaction. In my opinion of course.
And I’ve kept this view to the Down Under forum.

Update.
Zero new cases in our state for the past 2 days. When asked if the current 3 day lockdown will end at 6pm Monday as previously flagged our CMO answered that she couldn’t say until tomorrow’s results come in.

Back