Liftlines Forums

First Tracks!! Online Home | Forum Home

Switch to full style
Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding anywhere in the southern hemisphere: New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc., including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.
Post a reply

Re: 2020 Eclipse Success Despite United Airlines/Air Canada

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:28 am

While certainly won't be traipsing around the world for eclipses the way Tony does, it is totally worth a reasonable domestic trip to go find totality. The next one for the US is in April 2024 as I recall. Roughly a northeastward slash from Texas through buffalo/Rochester etc.. areas. I'm sure I'll find a way to be somewhere along that line.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:35 pm

I'm sure EMSC will be tempted to visit family in the Finger Lakes region. But here's the detailed weather analysis from Jay Anderson.

The overriding trend is that cloudiness gets steadily worse as the eclipse track moves from SW to NE. There are microclimate nuances which Jay discusses. For easterners the most favorable locations are along the south shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario. Rochester is an easy daytrip for EMSC's relatives. However, Rochester and Cleveland, the clearest points on the eastern part of the track, are still 60% average cloud, more than any point on the track west of the Mississippi.

East of the Champlain Valley the climate becomes even more consistently cloudy. For those wanting to ski, the climate odds are better at Whiteface than farther east.

The bottom line for anyone in the eastern part of the track is to maintain maximum flexibility and base your call on weather forecasts a day or two ahead. And maybe you should have a Southwest Airlines ticket to Austin or San Antonio as a backup plan. Liz and I expect to be in Mexico, which should come as no surprise if you read Jay's climate analysis.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:I'm sure EMSC will be tempted to visit family in the Finger Lakes region.

If the eclipse were in summer or early parts of fall that might be a really good option, but having grown up there, I know all too well that while sunnier than say Janaury, it's still cloudy more often than not in April. Given the relatively short hop I'm actually thinking maybe Texas hill country might be a decent option depending on the spring storm cycle timing. Fly into Austin or San Antonio and then drive west kind of thing.
Post a reply
All content herein copyright 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media