Opening dates around Santiago

johnnash

I may be in Santiago June 10-12, and was wondering if anyone knows when the nearby resorts have opened in past years and what early season is like (crowded? how much territory open?). Thanks for any information.

I find scheduled opening dates of June 12 for Valle Nevado and June 20 for Portillo. It may be just a few snowmaking WROD's or it could be really good if one of their big dumps happens before then. Based on the 24 years of Las Lenas data I have, the probability of "really good" is in the 25% range. Bring your boots and clothing just in case.

La Nina has dissipated, so negative indicator there. However there are no snow reports up for either Portillo or Valle Nevado yet. IIRC from past seasons they may put some info online if they get a big dump in May, even if they don't open.

Yep, VN is the only one opening June 12; others around Santiago open a week later. I've been keeping an eye on weather reports from Farellones, and so far it doesn't look promising. In any case, I don't think a trip up that 1-lane mountain road to the only resort on their opening weekend would be much fun. My guess is that the crowds will be awful on the road and the ski runs. So I've accepted a friend's invitation to go to his beach house near Vina del Mar that Saturday. Still, if they get a big dump and VN is open Monday, I might consider staying an extra day or so...

johnnash":2fepcgxk said:
Yep, VN is the only one opening June 12; others around Santiago open a week later. I've been keeping an eye on weather reports from Farellones, and so far it doesn't look promising. In any case, I don't think a trip up that 1-lane mountain road to the only resort on their opening weekend would be much fun. My guess is that the crowds will be awful on the road and the ski runs. So I've accepted a friend's invitation to go to his beach house near Vina del Mar that Saturday. Still, if they get a big dump and VN is open Monday, I might consider staying an extra day or so...

I don't think you understand South American skiing. You'll basically be the only one up there. The fly-in people don't arrive until the July holiday period and the Americans & Euros typically don't show up until August. There just aren't enough affluent locals to make it even remotely busy at that time of year. It might be ever so slightly busy on weekends but midweek will look like a neutron bomb hit the place.

The Valle Nevado road is 2-way midweek. They run it 1-way on weekends to reduce the risk of head-on collisions on all those switchback corners. The biggest thing they can run up the road is a short bus seating maybe 30 people. You go from near-sea level to the parking lot at 10,000 feet over around 20 miles of road. I think there are around 60 corners to negotiate. There is a police checkpoint at the bottom of the road. You'll need your passport.

If there's snow, the terrain is intermediate enough that it's skiable fairly early in the season. I doubt you'll be able to get to any of the more interesting traverse-to off piste and out of bounds areas that early.

As Tony says, there's no tellin' what you'll have for conditions that early. I agree that you should bring boots and clothing just in case. The rental fleet there sucks but you can cope if you have boots. It's rarely all that cold there so you can get by with a Gore Tex shell and a medium fleece so clothing won't occupy much luggage space. Check http://www.SkiTotal.cl for the van service up to Valle Nevado from the hotels. Your concierge can book it for you. It's something of a pain in the neck since they stop at a rental shop along the way and all the tourons get fit for clothing & gear but it's way easier than driving yourself up that road.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Chile tends to get snow the way the Sierras get snow. Long dry spells and mixed with massive dumps. They could easily get a 3 to 6 foot storm right before you arrive. They could just as easily have next to nothing on the ground when you get there.

Geoff":1na0kc7b said:
You'll basically be the only one up there.

Geoff is dead-on, I especially like the neutron bomb comment. Probably every accurate.

You go from near-sea level to the parking lot at 10,000 feet over around 20 miles of road.
A 2500meter gain in 35km. Santiago is not exactly sea-level (560m), but vertical gain is pretty amazing is you don't get sick from all the switchbacks. :mrgreen:

There is a police checkpoint at the bottom of the road. You'll need your passport.

There wasn't a police checkpoint on my 2 trips up there.

If there's snow, the terrain is intermediate enough that it's skiable fairly early in the season. I doubt you'll be able to get to any of the more interesting traverse-to off piste and out of bounds areas that early.

Dead-on again.

Thanks to the easterners for answering the questions so well. =D> They have more time on their hands Memorial Day weekend than I do. :mrgreen:

Tony Crocker":30p2vpst said:
Thanks to the easterners for answering the questions so well. =D> They have more time on their hands Memorial Day weekend than I do. :mrgreen:
Sorry, Memorial Day weekend isn't a long weekend in Canada. Our long weekend was the previous one. :mrgreen:

Geoff":2lfze5v3 said:
I don't think you understand South American skiing. You'll basically be the only one up there.

Guilty as charged. I've only skied VN and La Parva one day each, 2 years ago. They weren't what I would call empty (I recall a 15-minute line for a surface lift), but that was in August. What you say about early season is useful information.

The rental fleet there sucks but you can cope if you have boots.
Yep, that's consistent with my experience -- rental skis at SkiTotal were OK, but the boots they rented me were godawful. Also, they didn't adjust the bindings properly, so my skis clicked off as soon as I started skiing. Fortunately, the guys at the resort were very nice to re-adjust them for me.

Check http://www.SkiTotal.cl for the van service up to Valle Nevado from the hotels. Your concierge can book it for you. It's something of a pain in the neck since they stop at a rental shop along the way and all the tourons get fit for clothing & gear but it's way easier than driving yourself up that road.

Yep, all the stopping and dropping off added at least an hour to the trip each way. But there's no way I would want to drive that road. Even if I didn't HAVE a wreck, I'd BE one by the time I arrived at the resort! But I would strongly advise anyone who has a few days available to book a room on the mountain to avoid that commute.

Back