Ski Pucon CL - 6 Sept 10

Patrick

Full corn cycle in Pucon today, unfortunately the liftserved today lacked anykind of slope. Only lift 1,2, 7 and 9. Sin por numero 3 although it was running yesterday according to someone. At least it was bright and sunny so I could actually see the volcano this time (see Agosto 30 2008 TR). The fact that I didn't use that rain day and skied instead at Cerro Bayo was a great decision. The views on that pass (same as when I crossed over at the start of this trip) are impressive. This part of Chile is great for anyone with volcano fetishes. Anyway I left VLA in previous afternoon with a transfer in Osorno to finally arrived in Pucon at 11pm.

The terrain which could be liftserved would add some zing and fun, unfortunately it would seem that Ski Pucon caters to beginners and intermediates. There is the lift 5 which would access some excellent terrain, unfortunately it is sometimes used in September. The top station needs to be digged out and there is the issue that there isn't any safety bars which is apparently a problem. Further to the left (lookers) that is the remaining towers of a lift that hasn't been used in years. Just adding these two lifts would turns Ski Pucon (the ski area) into a simple curiousity of skiing on a smoking volcano to a place which would actually make in fun to comeback.

Nevertheless, I had a great time. I skied a few runs with a girl from France that was skiing a bunch of Chilean ski areas that are totally off the map like the other area on Volcano Villarrica. The excursion group that we were dealing with to get at the hill weren't even sure if it was running in the Winter time? They thought it was only in Summer and would be extremely flat. That what that girl was going to find out.

Trying to tag for a volcan skin, however I might have to forkout mucho pesos. I'll see how I feel tomorrow, off pista was soupa today. Temps were around 10c. Same temps tomorrow, clear blue skies.

Busing out tomorrow night...Flying out Wednesday.

My 2008 TR with a (outdated) ski map included.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6985

mapa_980.jpg

I have a current map with me and from actual observation:

#4 is totally gone, nothing left.
#6 pylons are the only thing that is still standing
and #5 is the lift that never runs and maybe sometimes in September.
Oh yeah, #3 wasn't running when I was there. Lift #8 wasn't running, but it wouldn't have made a huge difference terrain wise.

The terrain served by the old 6 and 5 would turn this place liftserved terrain from lame to real interesting. The face of 4 would add steepness.

So what was left? A novice ski area.

I'll have to ask my friend SuperNat what lifts were running when she made a last minutes decision to come down to Pucon due to all the roads between Santiago and ski areas above (From Valle Nevado to Portillo) being closed for a number of days (2006?). When you have only one week and you've already spent three days sitting and waiting, you have to do something. I know she had a lot of fun from the email I got at that time.

Back