why bump skiers rule

I'm heading for Waterville Sunday. It's just a two hour ride from Boston. I'm hoping they didn't groom the sweet bump run from last week. Sunday, I'm hoping for light rain to keep the lift lines down and soften the bumps.

Any one know if Killington has any bumps? Seems like they missed the northern Vermont snow last couple of weeks and I heard they groomed everthing including outer limits?

Well, It's officially bump season \:D/ Let's rip it up while it lasts.

This past Saturday...Sunday...and Monday.

At Hunter Mountain.

Bumps, bumps, bumps, and more bumps. Bump course on Eisenhower rockin'. Superb natural bump lines on Upper Crossover and Lower K27. Smaller bumps top to bottom on Clair's Way. AWESOME!!!!!!

And for 3 days I skied bumps about as well as I can. Nothing left on the table. Came home on Monday with a big smile on my face.

Life is good!

I concur Jim, The bumps a waterville were sweet :lol: It was soft and sunny, perfect bump weather. My legs are toast, I though the season was ending but looks like some cold weather and flurries wil keep ski season alive :D

Anyone know if Killington has bumps for the public on Bear Mtn? I'm thinking of taking Friday off for the world cup competition but I'd like to rip some bumps myself.

The local bumps were raging this past weekend due to the warm weather (70 degrees!). (Tweaked my right knee on my last run... but I should be able to ski out the season.) But as a result, we are approaching our last weekend of local skiing. After this weekend, I will have to drive 3+ hours to ski and will probably only have a few more weekends of skiing.

I was hoping to get 40 days between Nov and April, but I will probably have to settle for 37 or so. But I will get in another 6 this summer, so over 40 for the year isn't bad, considering the year we have had on the east coast (my goal every year is at least 40).

Let's just hope that the next few weeks are not all rock hard bumps due to the "thaw then freeze" weather. Man, and to think that they have been having a great year in some places out west... wish I had the vacation time to get back out there once more this spring.

cj

I went to Killington on Friday and watched the WC event. It was great to see to local skiers win the event David Babic and Hanna Kearney each took first place.

I watched the event standing between the 1st and 2nd jumps. I enjoyed watching the women skiers more than the men. The women focus less on speed and more on technique. The most interesting part for me was attempting to further understand shoulder suppression. Some skiers were more active with thier pole plants and moving thier body position and reaching thiers hands for the back side of the bump. However I noticed many skiers using the shoulder suppression technique.

1) It's an ideal posture that keeps the arms and elbows more contained near the body but still allows for driving the hands down the fall line. Think of it more as pinching the lats and triceps together and less as a static, upper arms pinned to the body image.

Jim,
I have a much better understanding of your qoute above after watching the real skiers Friday. I was in awe at how little the arms and elbows move. When I ski I really reach for the lower part of the back side of the bump. These world cup skiers flick thier wrists with hardly any arm movement and just touch the top back side of the bump.

It was an awesome competition, well worth the drive. I think next week I may have to make a trip to Stowe, midweek. The temps are raising and there is a short window for some perfect bump skiing. :lol:

It is noticeable when you look for it. Amazing how they keep the arms and upper body so still and just flick the wrists when making pole touches. No reaching for the next bump...they stay nice and compact and let the bumps come to them.

I watched my buddy sheahunter this past weekend...he keeps his upper body quiet and contained and barely moves his arms...so beautiful to watch.

I am really happy for Babic... he deserved a win finally. I was also glad to see Heather McPhie take second. They are both great skiers and coaches and definately taught me some things that helped me become a better skier.

Yeah, those guys are definately not trying to plant on the front or top of the bump, nor are they reaching with anything but the wrists... they are just "casting" the basket for the downhill side of the bump, or even the next trough. I have been working on casting for the troughs (a new thing that I learned at camp in Feb) and it is a lot harder than it sounds.

Well, let's have a great rest of the season and if anyone here is competing at Bear, good luck. I won't be able to make it due to work.

cj

Anyone see the marketing poll Killington has on its main website? On the lower right side of screen is an interactive trail map with an NCAA style poll for trails. Outer Limits is the only bump run left on the poll. Cast a vote for OL if you get a chance.
Day trip to Waterville tomorrow :D I hope they still have some bumps, possiblely Stowe next week. [-o<

Skied Waterville yesterday, 60 degrees the bumps were sweet. Great day. One of my 2004 lunar skis got bowed. I think a cracked the inside wood core. The ski just rides on top of the snow no matter how much I try to drive the shovel of the ski into the front of the bump. I noticed it in the morning, of coarse I skied all day and took a nasty header later in the day. I'm sure the reason for the fall was more the skier than the ski but the rest of the day I had no confidence in the ski.

Hey CJ, how did you make out wtih the Dynastar Twisters? I'm in the market for a bump ski for about $200. I like the lunar because it has a little side cut, its soft and flexible. I don't blame the Lunar ski because I really smashed some large head walls this season with poor technique. I often look 3 bumps ahead and use a large headwall to dump speed. I slam the bump, fail to fully absorb, hinge forward and somehow continue down the fall line.

My current Lunar is a 171 with a 92-64-80 sidecut. Anyone got a favorite bump ski?????

Jsul,

I got a buddy of mine who owns a shop to hook me and 2 of my buddies from camp up with Twisters and Look PX 14s. The deal on the skis was ok, but the bindings sealed the deal...smokin price.

PM me and I can let you know the details and hook you up... only thing is that Dynastar is out of 175s if that is what you are looking for.

As far as skis, I think that you will be hard pressed to find a better ski that the Twister, but then again, I really like the ski. With the "T", I never even think about the ski, it is just an extension of my feet... a tool to get the job done. to me, a great ski is one that I don't notice or think about...it is just there.

cj

Back