Guiding someone through their first true carve

Ryan

I had a very fun experience this past weekend that I just thought I'd pass along.
I'm breaking a big ol' rule and teaching someone that I am dating. She did however have a major breakthrough this weekend that made me think about some great teaching techniques. The moment that I am talking about is the first time that someone actually gets their skis up on edge and the weight forward, making their first true carve. Watching the look on someones face when the feel a completely engaged edge and rebound for the first time was very very cool. I can't take total credit for it because I was not able to convey my points to her in a way that worked. My friend Grant came along with the tip that worked so I want to share it here.
All he had to say is "Tip - Grip - and add a little Hip"

Tip the skis, but do not steer them.

Feel them grip into the start of the turn

Add a little hip and the skis will do the rest....

It is very helpful with this drill if you do some "railroad tracks" on nearly flat groomed terrain first so the student can learn what an edge is and how it works on a basic level. That and the fact that a shaped ski will turn on it's own. Hope this one works for someone else out there.

Carving is the source man......

Tip and rip it! :wink:

Gallup.jpg

Photo Copyright © Mark Gallup/Burton Snowboards

Old School Carver":2dbmlla4 said:
Carving is the source man......

Tip and rip it! :wink:

I still remember when I finally got it about 15 years ago; that feeling of fluidity and control is like no other!

Of course, modern ski technology has made it so much easier to learn to carve...we have our snowboarding brothers and sisters to thank for alot of that.

Starting to get very psyched up for the coming season...soon :D !

Jim I think that you can appreciate this one like few others...
I am teaching full time this year. No more Weekend Warrior!
Now this season just needs to get on the road.

Ryan":3dn2bzhi said:
Jim I think that you can appreciate this one like few others...
I am teaching full time this year. No more Weekend Warrior!
Now this season just needs to get on the road.

Nice! Enjoy it.

The early start to this season has me in a funk. Bunch of folks skiing knee deep pow in October when I can't go sucks!

Only thing I was knee deep in this past weekend was leaves!

Back