Tuckerman Ravine, NH: 07/01/07

riverc0il

Met up with Patrick for some July desperation turns on this fine Canada Day, Eh? :D This is my third season in a row skiing the Ravine as late as I think can safely be done without excessive stupidity (only moderate stupidity was required today). Despite there being more snow at the patch than the previous two years, the overall safety level was much less which resulted in Patrick and I only skiing half of the snow patch.

We made a late leaving Pinkham around 9 A.M. and made steady time. We incurred the normal barrage of questions and comments but not as many as experienced in prior years. The doubters were incorrect as always displaying amazing ignorance, on occasion even claiming superior knowledge of the Ravine in that they knew no snow was left :lol: Halfway up the TRT, the sun was shinning and I dared remark that "What was up with that 30% chance of rain?" :roll: Fortunately we made it to HoJo's and cover before it started coming down heavy. The two other skiers that passed us did not fair as well having already pressed on to the ravine.

After the rain showers passed, we made our way up to the Bowl. En route, Patrick got a little sarcastic and told a passerby that there was snow in a cave up there. A short while later, we caught up to the same hikers and they asked "is there really a cave up there you guys are going to ski through?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The skiers that passed us on the way up had assessed the situation with a no-go decision and passed on some beta near the Connection Cache. Having already seen the impressive size of the snow patch, I reserved a healthy dose of optimism that these two gentleman were being rather cautious. Fine example of deciding to turn around due to conditions, bravo.

But approaching the patch, despite the impressive amount of snow (especially compared to my previous two seasons of June 28th and July 2nd), I understood the grave nature of the patch. There was a clean separation from the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and a six foot drop off the edge. In past seasons, the lower portion connected to a landing for an exit but not this season. There was a small exit near the bottom of the patch but it was extremely undermined. I estimated it could be skied with precision but it was much too dangerous to ski near the bottom third of the patch. After having inspected the upper sections of the patch, we decided everything above the waterfall was 100% solid and in great shape. Our plan of attack was to click in to our skis at the top of the patch, ski down halfway, and side step back up the patch for repeat runs and exit.

This strategy was excellent and very safe. We were able to link between 5-10 turns depending on turn distance and style for a total of approximately 60 vertical feet of descent. Slide slip and repeat. I took four laps while Patrick went for six. Every run got progressively worse as we skied off a thin layer of excellent corn which yielded icy conditions underneath. This in combination with the weather being in the upper 30s and raining did not help conditions. When we started skiing it was just cloudy but things got wet quickly with encroaching fog and moderate rain. Back down in Pinkham Notch, it looked like hardly a drop fell all day but the Ravine was socked in and raining off and on throughout.

As per usual, the skiing was certainly not worth the effort. But after two months off skis due to various medical issues including having four wisdom teeth pulled and an in grown toe nail, it was mighty fun to click in and make some turns. This was not about skiing, it was about a fun day out and having an adventure. It was about sharing some turns with a fellow skier and having an awesome afternoon. On the descent, I remarked to Patrick that I always seem to forget that last half of descending the Tuckerman Ravine Trail the next year. My legs and shoulders are still very sore, but I am already falling into forgetfulness. And I will surely be back for more July action next year.

Full Photo Gallery

Been excessively busy lately... some news coming soon. :wink:

Riv and Patrick, way to go!!!!!
Glad to see the passion!
I too have been excessively busy and haven't posted in some time but I'm doing well and loving life.
I hope everyone else is doing well and look forward to seeing some white in our future.
((*
*))NHPH

The skiing doesn't look that bad from the pics. I've seen much worse here on FTO.

Nonetheless given the weather and the distance Patrick drove to get there, it is further evidence of his level of addiction. :wink: Does Patrick still have a 22-month streak going since October 2005? He will have to fly off somewhere to extend it.

That's a fast camera you have there! You we're able to catch all of Pats 3 turns on a run! :wink: You guys are sick !! But still, I think that I'm a little (really) jealous :cry: You nailed that patch, way to go !!

Tony Crocker":1vyijum9 said:
The skiing doesn't look that bad from the pics. I've seen much worse here on FTO.

It was the weather that made it interesting to say the least. Notice the difference between River's ski pics (his 2nd run versus my 6th). It had started pouring again toward the end of our ski day. :eek:

Order of our runs:

River, Pat, River, Pat, River, Pat, River, Pat, Pat, Pat

I have some data from my watch which I'll try to get if the computer is free tonight.

I just know off the top of my head that the vertical skied per run was 20 meters (66ft). The whole patch was probably close to 50-60 meters vert (164-197ft).

Nonetheless given the weather and the distance Patrick drove to get there, it is further evidence of his level of addiction. :wink: .

30% chance of rain was the forecast that morning. :roll: It was 40-50% on June 10th when the sun actually came out.

I still blame River for jinking us after maybe one hour of hiking for mentioning the forecast of 30% chance of rain was totally off because it was going to be a nice sunny day. Yes, it was off....it rained pretty much the rest of the day). Conditions were CRAZY!!! River noted most time we skied together, it rained. I noted that each time (3 times) we skied together we got wet (pouring rain, snowstorm, rain). :shock:

Here are the reports for the first two encounters.

Mad River - April 8th 2007Mad River - April 1st 2006

Does Patrick still have a 22-month streak going since October 2005? He will have to fly off somewhere to extend it.

If you think this drive was long, the next could definitely be much loooonnnnggggeeeerrrr. :wink:

Ah yes, it is still alive. :D Not sure for how long? As long as I want to continue it. :roll:

Stop now or continue? That is the question. :-k

Lucky Luke":39ul9qw9 said:
You guys are sick !! But still, I think that I'm a little (really) jealous :cry: You nailed that patch, way to go !!

Thanks....I was thinking about you, especially when I stopped for supper at the Mikes restaurant in Bromont at 10:38pm Sunday night. :lol:

Great pictures , we will be down at the Ravine this Friday ( hopefully the weather will be clear )to hike . Plan on showing the kids what its all about before skiing it . Good to see someone still making turns.

Anthony":2fds4y1p said:
Great pictures , we will be down at the Ravine this Friday ( hopefully the weather will be clear )to hike . Plan on showing the kids what its all about before skiing it . Good to see someone still making turns.

You never know, PWDR8S and Harkin Banks from the T4T forum have yet to make it out in July. They backed out for different reasons on July 1st, they were hoping for the 4th, but weather forecast got in the way. They were hoping for this weekend, but ...weather wasn't good either I believe...it getting late, even for them.

Here is a sample of their crazyness... :shock:

July 4th 2006...

Clip #1

Clip #2

Clip #3

Clip #4

Agree , it is late so this trip will be hiking only as on our way to Acadia NP , but wil be interesting to see if there is anyone making some turns.

Patrick":2i9af91a said:
Here is a sample of their crazyness... :shock:

July 4th 2006..

Sometimes there is beauty in crazyness. This ahs to be a case of that. Soon enough someone is going to have to come up with a 12 step program for this type of addiction. :D

Back